Emissions Testing and Comp Coupe PCM—Oh hell

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh boy do I need some ideas. There’s this certain SRT-10 Viper I know that’s had a bit of engine work done, and in connection with such work had to have a Competition Coupe PCM engine controller installed since the stock PCM couldn’t handle its aftermarket lumpy cam. The car has also had its exhaust replaced with, in part, RT steel cats, just so it would pass the emissions sniffer test when the time came. Well emissions testing time has come in Virginia and, well, it turns out that Virginia now tests newer cars not by sniffer tests but by plugging an emissions computer into the car’s computer to check oxygen levels among other emission-relevant data stored by today’s in-car chips. But since the CC PCM was never intended for a street car with emissions requirements, the chip doesn’t record or store any information on O2 and the like. As a result, the Virginia emissions computer simply aborts the test—you don’t pass or fail, which might trigger some sort of course of action, but rather just… well… nothing. In effect, it’s as if you didn’t have the car tested at all. Of course without being tested, the state will not renew one’s tabs. Oh joy. :hitfan:

Anyone have any suggestions? Are there PCM chips out there now that can duplicate the CC PCM and store emissions information? I know the stock chip will not work with the car at all. Will the Mopar Racing PCM work? Does anyone know how to program the stock PCM to work like the CC PCM. Does anyone know where in Virginia one could get the emission test performed with a sniffer? Any other ideas, short of having the car rebuilt to stock simply for the emissions test? Anyone rent 04 Vipers in VA? <snicker>

Help?

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call Z-Industries and ask for Ron Zimmer. He is the guy who was able to tune the lingenfelter Vipers, he also writes the programs for a particular tuner on the forum. He may very well be able to help you, or he may refer you to a specific tuner. (951) 303-6857

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
plug the stock pcm in, an easy switch, then take it to get tested and change back after

That's what I would do. We have the same testing here in NY! After you re-install your stock PCM you will need to drive it for a least 100 miles to get enough stored memory in the PCM for the testing equipment to read!

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that his problem is that the stock PCM won't handle his cam.

Maybe call Sean Roe and see if a VEC2 coupled with the stock PCM will solve your problems.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heavily modded Gen II guys have used the Mopar PCM to get through emmisions. I used mine to do it, even though I ended up getting a waiver.

I wonder if the Mopar Performance PCM would work on a SRT? The Mopar one does not log the emmisions codes and supposedly can just be popped in and taken right to the station.

OP
OP
V

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Correct, the stock chip, at least without modification, does not work with my hear work and cam. And sure enough, Sean Roe provided a plan. I'll report back on this issue later. Thanks for your help!

FLOORIN04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Move to pa No sniff test in my area yet

But across the street their is, so it is only a matter of time.We also can get a waiver under 5000 miles a year.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32