Estimate my Vipers damage, accident.

Pryme

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was involved in a accident, which could have involved more then just my car.
I was travelling about 55mph and had to make a emergency lane change maneuver, at the same time, missing more then one car, and the rear end came out (cold tires, only driving 2 miles, cold night, about 58) and I corrected that and it tried to go the other way and brought it in line once more, then was on the brakes, locking up let off locked up and right before I hit a 13 or 14 inch concrete wall head on I managed to get the car sideways and hit pretty much right on the side but it moved the car forward about 5 feet and knocked over a little lightweight no parking sign. hence the only scuffing marks on the front.

I was not injured but my passenger did sustain a slight injury to her arm, but I am most grateful we are OK.

We had a few cars stop to make sure we were OK and that was nice.

Well, here are the pics, I am meeting with the adjuster tomorrow hopefully and as it is right now I said I want to retain the car and see what they are going to offer, I do not know anymore then that.

I know it is hard to estimate but please give a ballpark so i have SOME idea.

The hood can open and close with no trouble, like it was before the accident, it even latches the same.
the driver door does not want to open more then about 10 inches but I believe it is due to the sill under it pushed in.

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
P

Pryme

Viper Owner
Reaction score

OP
OP
P

Pryme

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The front damage looks to only be paint and some scuffing.
and the gap is the bumper as you can move it down about 3/4 inch but it is not easy to move.

as for the oil, it is due to the accident but unsure from where or how?

There is also a crack about 1.5 inches on the rear wheel well.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aw, Pryme...I'm SO sorry to hear about your accident, but I'm VERY glad to hear you and your passenger are okay...that's the MAIN thing...good gosh that wheel looks awful...and those were such NICE wheels too. Let us know if this is repairable, okay? ALL my best~~~~juli

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need to have photos from underneath with the car up on a lift. With that said, the fluid on the ground looks like oil. Is it? If so, there may be oil pan and/or engine damage. Your front driver's side suspension looks shot. Your left front wheel and tire are shot. Your front fascia will ned to be replaced. The side sill pushed in against the side pipe but without removing the sill and puting her up on a lift, you will not know the full extent of the damage. If there is subframe damage and damage to the engine and the front subframe; and, any damage to the side rail from the exhaust being pushed into it, I think the adjuster will total it. Sorry. If the subframe and frame are OK and the engine is OK, I am pretty sure that you will get the repair you want. Glad you are OK. By the way Viper Parts Larry, one of our sponsors, has alot of cherry Gen II used parts. There is another outfit that has an X in the name that also has good used parts. You might be able to save yourself some serious coin by getting good used parts instead of new parts since you have what appears to be a Gen II. Good luck!

MarkRx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That front tire looks like it got pushed in. The control arms connect directly to the frame and any impact in that area would most likely result in the frame being kinked/bent.

Could be totaled- good luck.

VIPER 93

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Side sill alone $3500 only 2 or 3 left in warehouse 2 months ago

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but glad everyone was okay. Keep us updated on what the outcome is.

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with the guys that the cost of repairs are going to be more than the value of the car. I had a valet at the Phoenician resort in Phoenix drive my 97 GTS into a wall and he hit the wall near the front tire and had less apparent damage to the car than yours by a long shot. The Phoenician is part of a large hotel company that is self insured and they paid for repair of the car. The front frame was bent and had to be replaced. Cost to repair.....30,000 dollars and that was in 1999.

OP
OP
P

Pryme

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You need to have photos from underneath with the car up on a lift. With that said, the fluid on the ground looks like oil. Is it? If so, there may be oil pan and/or engine damage. Your front driver's side suspension looks shot. Your left front wheel and tire are shot. Your front fascia will ned to be replaced. The side sill pushed in against the side pipe but without removing the sill and puting her up on a lift, you will not know the full extent of the damage. If there is subframe damage and damage to the engine and the front subframe; and, any damage to the side rail from the exhaust being pushed into it, I think the adjuster will total it. Sorry. If the subframe and frame are OK and the engine is OK, I am pretty sure that you will get the repair you want. Glad you are OK. By the way Viper Parts Larry, one of our sponsors, has alot of cherry Gen II used parts. There is another outfit that has an X in the name that also has good used parts. You might be able to save yourself some serious coin by getting good used parts instead of new parts since you have what appears to be a Gen II. Good luck!

Thank you all for your input.

Yes, it is oil, and I am wondering where it is coming from, the hit was from the side and I did not run over anything, so do you guys think maybe the oil pan somehow got punchered or maybe a suspension piece found its way into it or the oil filter perhaps?

I do know the engine could not be damaged, I turned it off immediately.

The front fascia could not be fixed?

So if the frame got tweaked could it be straightened or no?

Also, if it was a small kink would it still drive or would it have a weird shimmy or something?

I guess I will just have to hear what they say.

How does the adjuster know about vipers? and what it will cost, they have lifts at the tow bay its at, I wonder if they will lift it up they will have to I assume so we can get a better look.

I have never dealt with this process, this *****.

SSG CHIC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry about your car. I hope it all works out for you. However, if they do total it, use it as a good excuse or a sign from God that you need to buy an '08 Viper! That would probably make you feel better!:D

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
TALK TO JON B ASAP! Adjusters will go to KBB and sources that are VERY incorrect.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bottom line is that if the aduster thinks there is damage to the engine and any frame damage your pride and joy is history and will be given a salvage title. If that happens, talk to Jon B and also Doug Levin for assistance in proper valuation. Per other threads, I have seen that they have helped other VCA members. You also might want to consider buying the corpse back from the insurance company and selling it to one of the used parts dealers on this site. I think they all buy salvage and your car looks like it will probably have many Gen II parts in good condition. The hood alone is worth quite a bit. Sorry to be bleak but you might as well get your ducks in a row now.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Talk to JonB IMMEDIATELY! He saved my butt when this happened to me. There are ways to save the car from being totaled if you wish but you have to know how to negotiate, Jon can get you up to speed and can back up your arguments with FACTS on valuation of both the total car and individual parts values. He can also help you get it totaled if you prefer using diferent arguments and facts. Hint, insist on NEW parts rather than used, drives the price of the repair up..
Diminished value is also huge with these cars, NO ONE wants a Viper that has been in a wreck and repaired. Jon can help you determine what the diminished value is so you can add that to your claim if you repair it. Don't forget to ask for taxes and titling fees if it's being totaled and you are replacing it.
Finally remember no wants a Viper with a salvage title, so if they want to total it and you don't you have to work the price DOWN on the parts by sourcing good used ones so the car does not wind up with a salvage title. Jon can tell you some surprising stories about the comparable "goodness" of some used vs. new parts. Hint, some new parts in inventory are rejects from CAAP so a used part might be better.
Also make sure you understand whether the car may wind up with a salvage title regardless of whatever you do based on the size of the $ repair or just a silly fact than an airbag deployed. Those decisions can be State, County or City decisions.
Ultimately if it's going to have a salvage title the best decision is to let it go. You can repair it as good as new, even if the frame is bent and it cannot be seen, but the salvage title will devalue it at least 30% if you ever want to sell. So on a financial level recovering the FULL value from the insurance company is going to be the only way you will EVER get full value from the car, you will never get it from any future buyer down the road.
The good news is if you rally your resources and keep your head when dealing with the insurance company you can come out smelling like a rose. This happened to me two years ago, and after first being SURE I wanted to save the car Jon, Bill P, Chuck Tator, Jason Heffner and others convinced me to let it go. Geico gave me $62,000 and I found an exact replacement in even better condition with 1400 miles on it and even pocketed a few thousand on the deal.
Good luck and make that call to JonB NOW. I might add he is never nicer than when he is helping guys in this situation. I even called on a Monday and he spent an hour with me on the phone.

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon B helped me last year when I was in this situation. I knew my car was totaled from the beginning, but the insurance company ended up giving me $10,000 MORE than they offered after following Jon's advice. Hopefully you have called him by now.

OP
OP
P

Pryme

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A few have mentioned a gen 2, this is a gen 1. just to clear that up.

I should have mentioned this car already has a salvage title.

With that said now, what would you guys do in my situation?

the previous salvage is due to hood and front fascia, nothing underneath.

Thank you for all the replys and concerns for our safety.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you called Jon? Hard to advise you further if he has not analyzed the situation. Look at the thread and the number of guys who advised you to talk to him. He's the Dr. Phil of totaled Viper guys, he will get you through this. But if the car already has a salvage title then the insurance comapny probably ain't gonna give you squat, but I don't know for sure. My guess is in this situation you might want to try and save it as you're gonna lose your butt due to the salvage title. So you REALLY need to talk to him to find out how to source GOOD used parts to bring the value of the repair down to STOP it from being totaled. AND to get his advice on where to go to get a repair estimate that will stop it from being totaled.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Pryme

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have you called Jon? Hard to advise you further if he has not analyzed the situation. Look at the thread and the number of guys who advised you to talk to him. He's the Dr. Phil of totaled Viper guys, he will get you through this. But if the car already has a salvage title then the insurance comapny probably ain't gonna give you squat, but I don't know for sure. My guess is in this situation you might want to try and save it as you're gonna lose your butt due to the salvage title. So you REALLY need to talk to him to find out how to source GOOD used parts to bring the value of the repair down to STOP it from being totaled. AND to get his advice on where to go to get a repair estimate that will stop it from being totaled.

I pmed you back.

I will call and hopefully get some help tomorrow.

How would I go about getting all these estimates, I would have to have a flat bed bring the car all over? how does that work, I really have no idea.

SSG CHIC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How would the insurance company know its a salvage title?

I'm guessing that insurance companies run a title check or carfax when a car is involved in an accident that could be close to a total loss. That way, when they write the check out, they are sure to not write a check to an individual for the entire amount if the car has a lien on it. It's just a guess. But it sounds good, doesn't it??:D

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few have mentioned a gen 2, this is a gen 1. just to clear that up.

I should have mentioned this car already has a salvage title.

With that said now, what would you guys do in my situation?

the previous salvage is due to hood and front fascia, nothing underneath.

Thank you for all the replys and concerns for our safety.

Since it's already a salvage title car, what was the value or puchase price given for the car when you obtained the insurance? It must be pretty low. How much can a salvage title Gen I be worth? I think that you are going to find that with or without JonB's help the value of the vehicle is not going to be high enough to repair it when the cost of the repairs is compared to the $'s to be paid by the insurance company if it is totaled. Sorry but I think the fact that it was a salvage title before the wreck makes a world of difference. With that said, you should be able to buy the car from the insurance company for small dollars and if you really want what would then be a double salvage car if such a thing exists, you could repair it with used parts.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog