Ever had this happen

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have an o2 yellow RT/10 (awesome) a couple of weeks ago the battery light came on then went off again. Today I stopped at a gas station and when I went to leave the car went dead like it grounded out. I was able to get a jump from a big roll-back a normal truck wouldn't turn the motor more than once. As I was heading down the road the car went dead again, the volt meter was reading @ 15v. I had the car towed home and removed the battery seemed fine put it back in and the car fired right up but when I had the battery out it wasn't strong enough to jump from the under hood post. Ever herd of something like that? Thanks for your time!

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
not I...but would be interested as well to find out what caused it...electrical issues are always fun ;)

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I was able to get a jump from a big roll-back a normal truck wouldn't turn the motor more than once.
Can you rephrase that?

Anyway you say it, sounds like its time for a new battery. Auto Zone can test it for you if you aren't certain.

OP
OP
K

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The battery checks out okay (and will start the car now).
What I was trying to say is that; the pick-up truck that was giving me a jump the first time only had enough power to turn the motor over once, then quit. The roll-back did the same until he added his "jump box" with the cables from his truck to get me going. then a couple of minuets later dead again.

2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The battery post might be corroded. I had a similar problem in my Ram. I wire brushed the posts and the truck ran fine ever since.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When the weather changes in Chitown and the air goes from 100% humidity to 0% in a day and then back again, I tend to get that white fluffy crap on the posts too. Not sure exactly what makes it happen but it can totally insulate the post from the pickup. If you saw ANY white stuff around the post, this could be your gremlin. Its so flaky that even wiggling the cable manually can turn a dead no-starter into just fine. Clean 'em up and you're ready to rock.

OP
OP
K

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I went over the battery leads positive and negative (on the starter & frame) and cleaned them added dielectric grease and reinstalled them but I didn’t find any obvious loose or corroded areas. The car is acting fine 'now' but I don't want to have to tow the car again, not easy when they sit this low.

OP
OP
K

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How many ground areas is there on this car that would affect something like this? I did the one by the battery and under the hood where the jump post is located.

2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went over the battery leads positive and negative (on the starter & frame) and cleaned them added dielectric grease and reinstalled them but I didn’t find any obvious loose or corroded areas. The car is acting fine 'now' but I don't want to have to tow the car again, not easy when they sit this low.

Mine also looked fine. Just weren't shiny anymore. After I wirebrushed them where they were shiny and clean the worked fine.

Bill

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Many years ago, I had a battery become disconnected *internally*. Press on it a certain way, and it would fire right up. Press on it another way, 0 volts. Had to drive 30 miles home from work with no battery that day - which was an interesting experience (don't think you could to that with today's electronics, etc).

OP
OP
K

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Merry Christmas all,
So far so good, I replaced the battery and cleaned up the wires and the car seems to be fine. I’m still a little nervous because I’m not sure what was going on to start with but I’m going to do some Christmas shopping in it today and hopefully wont need assistance getting home!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456