Evo beats 3 Vipers at Laguna Seca ... who was driving?

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can tell those are the NAYKID Racing T1 Vipers...
Must be a good EVO and driver cuz Scotty White is no
slouch behind the wheel.

Oh yeah, "Vipers dont beat EVO's" or vice versa. They dont drive themselves...

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before everyone gets their Viper ******* in a bunch. Here's the story. The Evo in question is a monster. Well over $100K in that thing. Weighs around 3000 lbs at has 440 AWHP. John Deering in his Viper (40% air restrictor) had about a 10 second lead on the Evo within the first 4 laps until he broke. The 2nd & 3rd Vipers were stock engined T-1 SRT-10's with 40% air restrictors driven by Scotty B and Cindy Lux. As they were running in different classes than the Evo I doubt they were pushing their cars to the limits. The fourth Viper (40% air restrictor) was competing in his first SCCA race. The Evo also had a pass under yellow flag for which it got away with. This allowed the Evo to get by one of the T-1 SRT-10's. That is no ordinary Evo folks and the driver isn't a slouch either. Regardless, the evo forums are abuzz with their victory. www.socalevo.net

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The whole thing sounds unbalanced
What a bunch of knob rollers!
They even have a 11 second club

vipeuup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah, and I bet all the EVO folks on the forum are talking all kinds of smack about beating the Vipers now. You know talking about the Vipers having restrictors, on the intakes. That reminds me, back in my porsche days. All the M3 people would clown on the Porsche people. About the M3GTR always beating the 911GT3s in the American Lemans Series. And not fully understanding that the M3GTRs had V8s in them. I thought that was ludicrious. But towards the end of the season. They put bigger restrictors on the M3s, and added more weight on them. And then it was fair game.

Scotty B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry we didn't hold up the flag well enough this weekend gang...

Redsled has it right, we were at 3600lb in T1 trim with stock motors through cats with a 40% restrictor and this EVO was a pretty neat peice! Fully gutted and making some serious juice! He easily outran us on the straights and threw it off the road a few times and then would catch back up. He also like to drop wheels in every corner and the hubub after the race was between Cindi & him for the blatent pass under yellow (full course) and destroying her windshield droppin wheels in every corner as she attempted to go back by him...

She decided he wanted this way more than her and backed off to save her windshield...

If you look at the lap times you can see that the EVO was slower on lap times than any of the top 4 Vipers... And in fact only Dearing and Gavin were in the same class as the EVO

The EVO was pretty well driven, I give the guy a C+ maybe B- at times and a D- at other times ;)

We were experimeniting with some new setup stuff on my car and I was in big trouble so I waived him by knowing Cindi could handle him but with all the wheel dropping and rocks flying it wasn't worth it...

BTW Dearing had ALL of us handled until his hot rod shut off, don't know what happened but he just pulled over and got a flat tow...

sbw

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry we didn't hold up the flag well enough this weekend gang...

Redsled has it right, we were at 3600lb in T1 trim with stock motors through cats with a 40% restrictor and this EVO was a pretty neat peice! Fully gutted and making some serious juice! He easily outran us on the straights and threw it off the road a few times and then would catch back up. He also like to drop wheels in every corner and the hubub after the race was between Cindi & him for the blatent pass under yellow (full course) and destroying her windshield droppin wheels in every corner as she attempted to go back by him...

She decided he wanted this way more than her and backed off to save her windshield...

If you look at the lap times you can see that the EVO was slower on lap times than any of the top 4 Vipers... And in fact only Dearing and Gavin were in the same class as the EVO

The EVO was pretty well driven, I give the guy a C+ maybe B- at times and a D- at other times ;)

We were experimeniting with some new setup stuff on my car and I was in big trouble so I waived him by knowing Cindi could handle him but with all the wheel dropping and rocks flying it wasn't worth it...

BTW Dearing had ALL of us handled until his hot rod shut off, don't know what happened but he just pulled over and got a flat tow...

sbw

pardon my ignorance... what's a T1 Viper?

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A T1 (stands for touring 1) Viper means that it is completely stock, except for the safety equipment-Roll cage, fire sytem, window nets, etc. The only performance item allowed is a cat back exhaust I believe. I'm sure Scotty B will elaborate on this one. :)

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A T1 (stands for touring 1) Viper means that it is completely stock, except for the safety equipment-Roll cage, fire sytem, window nets, etc. The only performance item allowed is a cat back exhaust I believe. I'm sure Scotty B will elaborate on this one. :)

Sooooo...Its a completely stock viper with RESTRICTOR PLATES, added WEIGHT of roll cage, fire etc[3600lbs heavier than stock]...Hmmmmm...Sounds like a stock Viper off the showroom floor would wipe the floor with a T1 Viper given equal tires...No wonder a 440hp, all gutted, full race EVO spanked it...Sounds like an athlete on steroids beating up a handicapped dude...Not fair...But unfortunatly it seems every race the Viper is entered it is restricted to the point of taking alot of the bite of the snake...

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
T1 is a division in the SCCA. I guess thats as close to "stock" car racing as you will see, but even then, they tie the Viper's hands behind its back, just to make a level playing field. Is that right, Scotty, Jonathan?

Sooooo...Its a completely stock viper with RESTRICTOR PLATES, added WEIGHT of roll cage, fire etc[3600lbs heavier than stock]...Hmmmmm...Sounds like a stock Viper off the showroom floor would wipe the floor with a T1 Viper given equal tires...No wonder a 440hp, all gutted, full race EVO spanked it...Sounds like an athlete on steroids beating up a handicapped dude...Not fair...But unfortunatly it seems every race the Viper is entered it is restricted to the point of taking alot of the bite of the snake...

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's about it Vic. So unless there is a discalimer showing the handicapped situation of the Vipers then people just see a Evo beating a Viper. Oh well.

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRT-10 T1 class Vipers have stock suspension? Is that true?

The Evo was in ITE class along with the two GEN II Vipers. ITE is fairly wide open and allows for many more mods then T1. I would expect an ITE Gen II Viper to be faster then a T1 SRT-10 Viper, however, driver and individual vehicle prep are extemely important

I find it quite impressive that an ITE class Evo won the race. Yes, John Dearing was faster then the Evo, but the Evo driver *did* win the race, and he had a few off track excursions too, so he has some dialing in to do as well...

Give credit where credit is due. That particular Evo is a killer ITE car. BTW, I'll bet that you can get up too $100,000 in a Viper racecar as well.

Jim

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are the quickest lap times during the race
finish class make best time
1 ITE EVO 1:39.247 Kent
2 T1 Viper 1:39.015 Cindy
3 T1 Viper 1:39.374 Scotty
4 ITE Viper 1:39.536 Gavin

Then was Dearings 1:38.05 before his battery went away and he lost power
No excuses - he won the race and thats what its all about.

vipeuup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gavin,

Did you buy a kart from Fast-tech Racing? A guy by the name of Jon?? Im in Monterey also...

Lee

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lee - not sure what you mean by a Kart - (go-Kart?? nope not me)
I live out at Laguna Seca Estates off York road - where are you?
Did you come out this past weekend and watch the SCCA races?
If so I'm the guy with the red and black GTS 2001 car #71

vipeuup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
gavin,

WOW, I live off of Josselynn Canyon road, right before the airport!! Off of 68. Man are we close. Gavin, do you have more than one viper?

Lee

Scotty B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The SRT10 Viper is allowed the following stuff in T1

Cat back exhaust
PCM calibration as long as it is done within the stock PCM box
Any LSD
18"x13" (r) & 18"x10" (f) with a 315 front tire and a 335 rear (365 if they made one)
any brake pad
braided stainless brake lines
engine, tranny & diff oil coolers
larger radiator
T1 suspension kit from Dodge Motorsport consisting of shocks, sway bars, springs & alignment shims,

Mandatory safety equipment is
fire system
8 point roll cage with NASCAR door bars
Autoform hardtop bolted in place
tow hooks
minimum 5 point harness
seat secured to roll cage
air bags disabled
steering colum lock disabled
drivers window net

Now for the super fun SCCA mandated stuff to slow the snake down
1. MANDATORY 53mm intake restrictor causing a 40% reduction in area of intake (Z06 unrestricted)
2. car must weigh 3560lb after race with driver (280lb heavier than Z06)

SO that's about it, we run our SRT hot rods on Forgeline Wheels with KUMHO V710's wrapped around them preheated by Chickenhawk Tire warmers and dampened by Moton shocks with internals lubricated with Redline Oil with an Autoform Hardtop from Partsrack and we stop them with Mintex brake pads

We struggled a bit the beginning of this season running on stock suspension but the T1 kit has really helped the SRT hot rods come alive, look for the results to get better and better in these SCCA Legal SRT hot rods unchoreographed and unassisted by unusually slow Corvettes.

sbw

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before everyone gets their Viper ******* in a bunch. Here's the story. The Evo in question is a monster. Well over $100K in that thing. Weighs around 3000 lbs at has 440 AWHP. John Deering in his Viper (40% air restrictor) had about a 10 second lead on the Evo within the first 4 laps until he broke. The 2nd & 3rd Vipers were stock engined T-1 SRT-10's with 40% air restrictors driven by Scotty B and Cindy Lux. As they were running in different classes than the Evo I doubt they were pushing their cars to the limits. The fourth Viper (40% air restrictor) was competing in his first SCCA race. The Evo also had a pass under yellow flag for which it got away with. This allowed the Evo to get by one of the T-1 SRT-10's. That is no ordinary Evo folks and the driver isn't a slouch either. Kent (the driver) and J. Mueller (the builder) have built a serious ITE race car. Congrates to both! Regardless, the evo forums are abuzz with their victory. www.socalevo.net

Richard EVO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First of all, let me say that I am a newbie here. I don't own a Viper but have tremendous respect for your machines, and would love to own the upcoming SRT10 coupe (if I could afford it).

I do own an EVO, which has been tuned by John Mueller, and which I frequently run in HPDE events, although I do not run sanctioned races. I also know Kent Jordan. A little background on Kent. He just got his racing license less than a year ago (Nov. 2004, I think, at a NASA event at Buttonwillow; now he races with SCCA in the ITE class). He is a rookie driver in his 40s, and weighs 248 lbs., which does not exactly help the Muellerized EVO's curb weight. He has won 7 SCCA races in a row in the NorCal division, including the recent race at Laguna Seca where he beat the 3 Vipers.

You guys need to stop looking for excuses like weight penalties, the EVO cost a lot of $$$, etc. etc. If you want to beat Kent and his EVO, you need to just go out and do it. See you at the next NorCal ITE race. :laugh:

You must be registered for see images attach

97 Viper GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What sticks out in my mind is the fact that the EVOs can mod like hell, yet the Vipers (T1) have to de-mod for that class...

I will take on your little EVO anytime/anywhere in my Viper. I don't even notice such rice when I am stomping it regularly here at MSR. But then again my Viper is not stock, so I am sure you would play that card...

Regardless, even if your EVO still beats another guy in a Viper, at the end of the day- you still have an EVO, and he still has a Viper. Personally, I would MUCH rather be the other guy- to each his own...

98MODMTR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys need to stop looking for excuses like weight penalties, the EVO cost a lot of $$$, etc. etc. If you want to beat Kent and his EVO, you need to just go out and do it. See you at the next NorCal ITE race. :laugh:

What you need to do is stick to your fuel efficient four ****** and let us tell whatever excuses we damn well feel.

Richard EVO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I guess, next to an 8-liter V10, a 430 hp 1997 cc turbo that gets 7 miles to the gallon on the racetrack on 100 octane is pretty fuel efficient. I'm talking about my car, not Kent's -- I don't know any secrets about Kent's car, and even if I did, I would be executed for talking. ;-)

I kinda figured I'd get this response, even though I started out giving your cars the respect they deserve. Nevertheless, the drivers will do the talking at the next ITE race. Excuse this:

You must be registered for see images attach

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I guess, next to an 8-liter V10, a 430 hp 1997 cc turbo that gets 7 miles to the gallon on the racetrack on 100 octane is pretty fuel efficient. I'm talking about my car, not Kent's -- I don't know any secrets about Kent's car, and even if I did, I would be executed for talking. ;-)

I kinda figured I'd get this response, even though I started out giving your cars the respect they deserve. Nevertheless, the drivers will do the talking at the next ITE race. Excuse this:

Get the F@#k off my site.

98MODMTR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I guess, next to an 8-liter V10, a 430 hp 1997 cc turbo that gets 7 miles to the gallon on the racetrack on 100 octane is pretty fuel efficient.

That's all I was wanting to get out of you. Once again, people come on this site trying to compare apples to bananas. It's a phocking EVO, that's great. Driver doing a hell of a job...fantastic. Why can't he run in stock form on pump gas w/ air restrictions? That's all I want to really know.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could care less about this post, but what I've gathered is the following: It is possible for a high dollar, highly modified (Nearly double stock HP), lightened EVO to trump a detuned/restricted (-40% airflow), 3600 pound Viper. Wow. Congrats. :rolleyes:

Richard EVO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whew!!! One thing's for sure. You Viper guys have a better sense of humor than those prima donnas at the Corvette Forum. :2tu: