Exhaust Delete Update

AMong

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well It took us 2 days but the exhaust transformation is complete. I was contemplating which exhaust quieting device to remove. Whether it be the cats , resonators, or muffler. Or 2 of three or all of the above. Since I couldnt find the info I needed on the site, I figured I would go ahead and do my own testing while we did the mods.

So what we did was take the exhaust apart in sections and made replacement tubes for each, so that we could try each different way to try and attain the sound that I wanted. Here are my Results:

1. Muffler delete only: not much difference from stock, not near loud enough for my taste. Same tone as stock but slightly louder.

2. Resonator Delete Only: Same sound / tone as muffler delete only, but slightly louder volume, but came with a little popping on deceleration.

3. Cat delete Only: Finally a noticable sound / volume difference, but very raspy and still not quite loud enough. Not the sound I was looking for.

4: Muffler and resonator Delete: Same muffled sound as single ****. or res. delete but again slightly louder and extreme popping on decel.

5: Muffler and Resonator and Cat delete (straight pipes): LOUD !! Too LOUD !! lots of cabin drone and unbearable volume.

6. Cat and and Muffler Delete: Good sound, But slightly too much volume and drone.

7: Cat and resonator delete: Perfect Balance , Great tone and sound with commanding yet not overly loud volume. Not too much rasp or decel popping either. Almost no cabin drone. Great idle tone and volume.

So that is my advice to anyone considering a $40 exhaust upgrade. with #7 being the best sounding and #6 being a close 2nd. Cabin temp is much improved and there is a noticable power increase (SOTP). There is a slight odor to the exhaust from the cats being removed but is only noticable at stand still with a single window down ( windows up or both windows down clears cabin smell). Hope this can help someone looking to do this.

Nuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
VERY good info. A lot of people don't need the extra power but think the stock exhaust sounds like ass. Your chart of the results is a roadmap to finding the right sound. Thanks!

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
That's awesome you took the time to document all of that. I've often wondered about the various combinations you mentioned. Thanks for the info!

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
#7 is essentially what I ended up with following the install of the Belanger headers and the cat delete. the car previously had the Mopar cat back system installed. The end result left me with headers, no cats, the Mopar high flow muffler and no rear resonator. Definitely a good sound with more volume but not too much volume.

wow

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also did the same. great sound and cant beat the $. Also welded straight pipes in place of cats.

OP
OP
A

AMong

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly, we welded a pipe to the "dump pipe" into the side sill, and one to the "curved pipe" that routes back from the side sill to the center/ rear of car, they connect inthe middle with the stock clamp and a couple tack welds, so the exhaust can still be removed without cutting.

Nuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anyone know if DC attempts to use exhaust mods(like cat delete)to void warranty? I know there is law that says a manufacturer has to causally attribute any denied warranty claims directly to whatever change or mod you make but they can make it difficult or easy. I like the idea of a resonator and cat delete but I don't want to get into a ******* match if I need engine work at some point.

SidewinderGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, a sound clip of your #7 would be awesome.
By doing your #7, do any codes pop up?

Midwest Muscle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing about check engine codes, since there wouldn't be an O2 feed?

Also, how hard is it to remove the side sills? I definitely wouldn't want to damage them, so I might do that part at home instead of having some muffler jockey pound them off!

Mike M

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's great info. I've got my sidesill off right now and was fixing to do the same. I've always wondered the same as far as different noise and drone levels. I was going for #7 as well, but may install highflow cats in future.
thanks for info

Nuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing about check engine codes, since there wouldn't be an O2 feed?

Also, how hard is it to remove the side sills? I definitely wouldn't want to damage them, so I might do that part at home instead of having some muffler jockey pound them off!

Mike M

I think these https://www.casperselectronics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=104041&Category_Code=Viper are what you would need.

And here is the originating thread on cat deletion. http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=403776&Forum=UBB14&Words=sims&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=3months&Main=403767&Search=true#Post403776

npeifer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 96 RT/10 and have thought about deleting the cats since I have no emissions testing locally.

If I do this will a check engine light come on ??

Mark Hahn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed a out of productions set of ****** Headers along with the newer Borla cat back system (2xside mufflers & 1x combined rear muffler like stock). I then ordered some straight stainless and cut them to Cat lenght(17" I think), had them ceramic coated, then installed them as Cat Bypasses. I am very happy with the sound and the sills are much cooler. The car doesn't seem to be louder inside but the sound from outside is much more aggressive. MGH

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but someone might be able to help me out. I have a 94 RT/10 and need to repaint my side sills. So, I might as well take the cats off to reduce the temps.

So, my question is has someone (I'm sure someone has) deleted the cats on a first GEN? How is the sound with just the cat delete? I would assume it would sound different than the rear exit pipes. Does it sound good? I have a welder so I was thinking about just welding in a straight pipe to replace the cat. Any help would be great.

By the way I live in east TN so emissions would not be a problem. I don't drive it much and would love for my V10 to sound like a V10!

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds good. How does it sound under full WOT? Do you remember what kind of Magnaflow mufflers you installed? I remember seeing an invoice in my glove box for mufflers. I'll check to see if they say what they installed. I'm sure they left the cats in. Maybe I should just replace the cat with a straight pipe and test it out... ha

I was going to do this a few weeks ago but could not deside if I wanted to just buy a Roe Racing system.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang