Exhaust Question

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love my Viper, but I'm interested in better sound and a nice power increase wouldn't hurt.

Which exhaust systems are the best? I'd like something that isn't too loud just cruising, but louder when you open it up.

Would hi-flow cats give me most of the power/sound improvement I would get from an exhuast, at a fraction of the price?

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are interested in a nice sound and want save money just remove the rear muffler and replace it with straight 2 1/2 pipes. You can weld something together for $150. There are also kits available just to replace the rear muffler. They cost around $500.

Otherwise the entire exhaust system for the Viper is very expensive and will not yield much HP compared to the price. If you are interested in HP you better go with other mods. Like rockers, air filter and VEC2.

If the heat bothers you in the cockpit, remove the cats and replace them with straight pipes. In this case you will need Cat sims. However don`t remove the muffler and the cats together. The sound will be too agressive.

Finally if you want the most HP for your bucks, just buy a Roe SC with water injection, remove your cats and that`s it.
Your 98 will run perfectly with this setup.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I previously had Belanger Headers, 3" Roe HF cats, and Borla 3" exhaust, and was very happy with the power gain, and sound.

ViperRichRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No doubt about it...Random Tech is awesome and looks great! Call John B at parts rack and he'll tell you the same!

Rich

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love my Viper, but I'm interested in better sound and a nice power increase wouldn't hurt.

Which exhaust systems are the best? I'd like something that isn't too loud just cruising, but louder when you open it up.

Would hi-flow cats give me most of the power/sound improvement I would get from an exhuast, at a fraction of the price?

No, just high flows will not give much in sound as you are seeking...

Get Belangers, rt cats and a corsa cat back..if you like I can send you sound clips and a video or 2.

Dave

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am interested in changing my exhaust also 99 gts acr. I would like to remove the cats since I don't need to pass emissions because I will drive the car less than 3k a year and because I am getting discoloration from the heat. I would like a system that is pretty loud. I was thinking of
b&b headers, straight thru pipes for the cats, and corsa cat back. What are cat sims, and do I need them. Also will I have any problems with the o2 sensors and the computer etc??
What do you think
Thanks
Garwood

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want a noisy exhaust, headers are not necessary.
If you replace the entire exhaust that will cost you around $3000.

Replace the rear muffler with straight pipes (150$ for the tubes) and remove the cats ($30 for the tubes and 120$ for the cat sims). All this job will cost you $300. Unless you have a SC, headers/exhaust are very expensive to gain 10-15hp.

Think about new rockers for $500 you can change the noise of your engin, reduce valve noise and increase your HP.

For some reason headers are very fashonable but I can tell you that they are not the best mod for you bucks on a stock Viper.

List of things to do to improve your car while save a lot of money :
- Remove cats
- New rockers
- Vec2
- For no ACR vipers: K&N air filters and smooth tube
- If you like noise remove rear muffler

With all this you get noise, performance and less heat in your car.

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cat sims = catalisor simulators. If you remove your cats you have to replace the rear oxygen sensor with these electronic things to simulate the catalisors otherwise you will get a check engin light on.

VEC2: Viper engin calibrator from www.roeracing.com It is the best "toy" that you can install on your Viper. At wide open throttle you can recalibrate your engin. You can gain between 30-50hp with this toy if you know how to use it.

OP
OP
A

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now I'm in the process of a full airflow system. K&N filters, smooth tubes, Belanger Headers, Roe hi-flow cats, corsa cat back.

Any idea how much rwhp I'll have once I'm all done??

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No doubt about it...Random Tech is awesome and looks great! Call John B at parts rack and he'll tell you the same!

Rich

Random Tech's are the Best! It's my favorite mod. I have a friend that has Borla and he even says mine sounds better than his. The other great thing is that they are cheaper than most others (I think around $900)and along with some Sean roe high flo cats(aprx $300-pair) add that up for a grand total of around $1200 and you can have more for less. I have images in my gallery of my random tech's. They are 3" stainless and are nice!

Noredline

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good info and input here, a follow-up question. Does anyone have any experience with the Mopar Performance (resonator delete/2.5" pipe w/muffler) or the Mopar Race exhaust (3" pipe, total cat delete)? I am thinking about the Race exhaust.

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Replacing the stock exhaust with 3'' pipe will not yield much gain without headers. Either stay with 2 1/2 pipes or replace everything with 3'' pipes. It is even on some marketing paper from Corsa.

Deleting rear muffler yields to great sound (little hp gain). If you are interested in sound just delete rear muffler. Don't waste your money on exhaust for sound.

Noredline

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, the headers are pretty costly, I would probably prefer to install a quaife diff before headers at this point. I'm mostly looking for deeper/louder sound at this point. Not sure which way I will go yet. I need to make sure the dealer will be able to install whatever I get properly with 02 simulators too, if I do the race exhaust.

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Deeper/loader sound => remove rear muffler and replace them with straight pipes ! There is even a kit for that.
If along with this you remove your cats you will have the impression that you are on the board of an F-16. In that case you can also drop your stereo ... you will not hear it.

forensicsteve

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Morning
Don't know much about cars. Previous owner had put on
Random-Flow Super High Flow Catalytic Converters, 3" Custom Mandrel Aircraft Aluminum/Stainless Exhaust, Borla Hi-Flow Mufflers. The beast is very very loud. At low rpms, toodling around town, difficult to have a conversation with passenger. At higher revs, exhaust sound smooths out quite a bit. I have no idea if any of the above raised hp or improved vehicle performance. But if you are looking for an aggressive tone...the above will do it...