Exported Viper Question.

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know whether the Vipers made for Canada had the same specifications as the Vipers sent to Europe or the US ones?

I've heard the Euro Vipers were slightly less powerful and I'm curious if mine (Canadian) is a Euro model or US model. Mine's modified enough not to matter anymore but I'm still curious.

And what made the Euro one's less powerful, computer, cam, ???

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a '94 Canadian RT and imported it into New York. From what I know and have seen up close, it's the same engine and emissions system as 1994 US models. The difference that year was the seat belts - the Canadian cars had the roll-up in the center, as on an airbag car, but doesn't have airbags. I had to put the door-roll-ups in to make it legal.

From what I've "heard" (or didn't hear) the Euro cars had a more restrictive exhaust due to noise regulations. A viper owner in England/Europe? once posted a question about a US ECU, so that may be different also.

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Euro cars have 2 extra mufflers at the back before the tips, airbox restrictors, and apparently a different ECU, which is all needed for tougher noise regulations reducing hp to 390. Km's speedo is standard and side indicators on the hood are supposed
to be added. Everything can be put right bringing the hp back up, just take the chance you dont get stopped by the police for a on the spot check up

OP
OP
P

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. Mine doesn't have the airbox restrictors and had the same exhaust as US cars I've seen. None of which really matters because I've changed the intake and exhaust anyway. As long as the computer wasn't programmed differently I'm happy.

I had a bit of a drag with a 97 GTS this last Viper weekend and although he pulled very slightly away from me it's probably due to the fact that I have the Gen I weight and had a passenger so he probably was 400 or 500 pounds lighter than me. Of course I didn't have the Nitrous turned on, but maybe next time I will!

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do not forget out Cdn spec daytime running lights, with the module so graciously screwed into the aluminum brace behind the rad! Fried mine out within a month of ownership, luckily the part number matched the much cheaper 360 V8.

Other than that our Cdn versions are similar mechanically, I dyno'ed 430.x std, and SAE'ed down to 420.x (still wondering on that one). Those numbers are in the hunt on US cars from what I have gleaned so I'm happy, happy for a baseline that is....