Extremely ********** right now.

ViperBite

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, as a Christmas present to myself decide to add some bling to the car with Yellow calipers (same as stock just powdercoated), new pad/rotors. I also figured why not add the SS brake lines as well. Started this little project on Thursday.

Well that last part was a stupid call. First after wasting about an hour trying to figure out how to mount the front lines it turns out the parts shipped to me were missing brackets. Called up the supplier and he overnighted them.. OK so start on the back wheels. Got the brackets Friday morning. Hey all is well. Great customer support...

Now the kick in the ass. Mounting up the banjo fitting on the drivers front and after torquing to specs I happen to look at it closely. Turns out the damn banjo fitting is NOT WIDE ENOUGH. The copper washers are just spinning and there is no way in hell it will fit. The washers just spin even with the bolt snugged all the way down. Check the bolt length after tightening it down in both the Yellow caliper and the one I took off. Same or in fact in the Yellow caliper it will snug alittle more. Checked this with no banjo fitting. Wanted to make sure it was not a caliper problem. Of course this is the last side.. I thought I was done.

I am so pissed to have wasted so much time. And now with the holiday plus my travel I won't get another chance to work on the car for well over a week.

What to do now. I have to assume all of them are too narrow so now I get the pleasure of taking all the SS lines BACK OFF and put the stock flex tubing on. I can't trust any of these SS lines. I will wait to hear back from the Supplier and see what he says. Of course by the time I hear back from him I will be done with the project. DAMNIT. :evilmad: :evilmad: :evilmad: :evilmad:

OP
OP
V

ViperBite

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hate to release that I until I get a chance to talk to him. However, if you are getting SS brake lines for Christmas PM me and I will tell you who this is from so you can check. I can also tell you how to check real easy before you WASTE freakin several HOURS putting this stuff on.

When I say loose, I mean it is visually loose on the drivers front. I did not bother to check all the others as close since I ASSumed that this stuff was right. Torqued it to spec and thought all is well. I guess the good news is I just happened to see this before I wasted even more time trying to bleed this system.

Like I said, if your worried about what you either just got or are about ready to install PM me and I will give you a heads up.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Sorry that you had a bad day...but, you are not the first in the brake-line-parts-mixup-game...between two Viper friends who live close-by, we have have the wrong parts/mislabeled parts/sets-with-missing-parts shipped multiple times...in fact, too many times to count. Unfortunately, this includes WELL KNOWN manufacturers (both OEM and aftermarket), parts suppliers, and Dodge/Mopar.

A good rule (which I've broken more than once) is to lay ALL of the parts out and do a run through BEFORE going to the garage...but, even then, some problems may not stand out until late in the game, especially for those of us who do this work only occasionally.

Fortunately, it will all workout...though it REALLY fries my asp each time it happens to me!!!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what steve said. unfortunately it happened but im sure its gonna be handled and resolved soon.

hang in there and just throw a wrench or two it'll make ya feel better, trust me.

NOTE::not in the direction of any viper.

OP
OP
V

ViperBite

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Unfortunately for me, this was the first time I have ever installed SS lines. I had assumed it would be a straightforward job. There are some other install problems with these lines that I did not go into on the rear as well. However those have nothing to do with potential for leaks or damage due to functional problems like my current issue.

I did double check all the other stuff and it went on perfectly.

Just had a brat, some dill pickle chips and a beer. I guess it is time to start replacing all the SS lines back to stock. Guess I will still be up when Santa arrives. I think I'm gonna eat his cookies tonight.

OP
OP
V

ViperBite

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Extremely ********** right now....Update

On the front passenger side I looked closely at the banjo fitting. It looked good, then I checked to make sure it was torqued down and it was according to factory specs.

I then got a pick to see if I could move the washers and YES they were loose. Not as bad as the drivers front but then again it doesn't matter.

I will do the rears tomorrow.

If Santa brings you SS lines...PM me. Course I might just be mad enough tomorrow to tell you who it is. By the way in case a supplier of SS lines is reading this you have a voice mail. I send you back your parts, you send me a full refund plus shipping. Even with that then I am only mildly pissed.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey, I have 4 sets of FRONT rotors and 1 rear.
Quess why?

I feel your pain..... :curse:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

ViperBite, the other SAD thing here is that to return to your stock lines, you should really use brand new, correct copper washers for your banjo bolts...hope you have spares. If not, you may get by, but keep the recommendation in mind and order some spare washers.

Merry Christmas, Dude.

OP
OP
V

ViperBite

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Indy...so far since the current bolts never made contact with the new copper I am ok. There is (was) not a mark on them so the fronts are good. I will find out about the rears tomorrow. I have another post of the banjo bolt issue with a pic, check it out.

Red...how the heck can you have so many sets of rotors?

I am keeping my stock set. Only 8000 miles on them, never know when they may come in handy.

I will post some pics of my rear brake pads, the inboard pad on both reats was only making contact on 3/4 of the pad.

Thanks and Merry Christmas to all.

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If I got 'extremely pissed' every time a parts order was screwed up, or something I bought for my cars didn't fit just right, well, I'd be pissed all the time.

Sereiously, it happens all the time. Deal with it next week and everything will be fine.

Jim

OP
OP
V

ViperBite

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Jim, if your assumption that "everytime" a parts order gets screwed up I get pissed you would find yourself wrong.

Thanks for your help about letting me know I can deal with it next week. Never thought of that.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score

First set of Stainless flex lines I did was for my CJ-7. Goodridge DOT correct part, ya right, I had to fabricate all new brackets, hose length was 2" too long (get snagged during compression of suspension). This is why I stick with factory OEM parts, tired of "performance upgrades".

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Red...how the heck can you have so many sets of rotors?

I ordered complete sets from Internet and for whatever reason several suppliers sold front rotors marked as rears... Being a heavy item, its worthless to mail them back. Well, at least I dont have to buy new ones for next 10 years?
I have KVR cadmium plated and drilled ones, Mopar and who the h3ll knows whatelse.

I got pissed too, but a year later I have decided to use them in my Lexus SC400 trunk as weight during winter time. Works great!! :2tu:

OP
OP
V

ViperBite

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Well done with the rears. They actually fit at the banjo fitting, but I did not really like the "standoffs" I had to build to help keep the hard line from stressing due to their mismatch on the SS line brackets.

Does anyone know if the 92-2000 is a different front caliper or hard line fitting in the rear than a 01-02? I wonder if these problem exist because of a change to ABS?

Just have to finish the bleed on the fronts and I am good to go. Since today we had a White Christmas the Viper will go nowhere. Only had about 1-2 inches of nice fluffy snow. :2tu:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

ViperBite...I THINK that I know what you are asking here: "Does anyone know if the 92-2000 is a different front caliper or hard line fitting in the rear than a 01-02? I wonder if these problem exist because of a change to ABS?"

Let me try to answer it this way:

Calipers...front...same on both 2000 and 2002(noting that the right and left pieces have different part numbers for their respective model year).

Calipers...rear...different on the 2000 vs. 2002(noting that the right and left pieces have different part numbers for their respective model year).

Flex hose with integral bracket...front...different...2000 vs. 2002(noting that the right and left pieces have different part numbers for their respective model year).

Flex hose with integral bracket...rear...different...2000 vs. 2002(noting that the right and left pieces have different part numbers for their respective model year).

Banjo bolts look the SAME for 2000 and 2002...BOTH front and rear ALL have same part number and same dimensions... Hex Head M10x1.0x21.75

Unfortunately, as I do NOT routinely disassemble these areas on our Vipers simultaneously...my memory concerning the interchangability of these parts is less than crystal clear...though I DO try to stock them in my "spares" cabinet. Rather than dig ALL of that out today, I "cheated", and visited the website listed below...noting that there occasional parts "errors" ( for example...try to find/order a front caliper bleeder screw for a 2001-2002 and it reads "not serviced" which I know is "B.S.").

You can check the parts at this Mopar site:

http://www.mopar.com/viper.html

Glad that you are back together!!!