F12 Benchmark for the Gen V?

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new Viper better bring some serious upgrades to the table, here is the new benchmark for production cars: http://jalopnik.com/5889246/ferrari...t-ferrari-ever-built?tag=ferrarif12berlinetta

Maybe this is why they were waiting for the reveal, to see what the competition is doing?? Ok, I know the Viper doesn't compete head to head with Ferrari anywhere except the 'Ring, but that's what I'm talking about. This new F12 is going to be a rocket...
So, in a nutshell, here is the benchmark: 730 HP at 590 lb-ft of torque on a 8,700 RPM limit powerband. That brilliantly powerful engine is mated to an F1 dual-clutch transmission...carbon-ceramic brakes (CCM3) and the latest evolutionary leap of Ferrari's magnetorheological suspension control system. Yikes! :usa:

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately, with SRT being under the same parent company, they won't allow the Viper to exceed it or match it. At least on paper. However, I believe the good news is that with this new Ferrari bring rated at 730HP, the new Viper will most certainly have a significant HP upgrade from a Gen IV. Probably in the 670 range.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's very interesting looking, the angle shown in that Jalopnik photo makes me think that its inspiration was one of those Chinese dragon kites. It has a mean face with the swoopy lines of the tail in it's profile. Very different for a Ferrari IMHO, seems as though they are taking the familiar Ferrari signature down a different path. All I can say is thank god the Viper has gone back towards it's original roots, I think it's going to be a sales winner even in these difficult times. I do love all the manufacturing technology and employee pride that exists at Ferrari. This is certainly an area that should trickle down to the Viper, if any of you have not seen the Ultimate Factories episode on the Ferrari you should check it out.

Last edited:

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Uhm Ok, only the magnetorheological shocks are a GM product, not Ferraris'. Still great stuff!

The new Viper better bring some serious upgrades to the table, here is the new benchmark for production cars: http://jalopnik.com/5889246/ferrari...t-ferrari-ever-built?tag=ferrarif12berlinetta

Maybe this is why they were waiting for the reveal, to see what the competition is doing?? Ok, I know the Viper doesn't compete head to head with Ferrari anywhere except the 'Ring, but that's what I'm talking about. This new F12 is going to be a rocket...
So, in a nutshell, here is the benchmark: 730 HP at 590 lb-ft of torque on a 8,700 RPM limit powerband. That brilliantly powerful engine is mated to an F1 dual-clutch transmission...carbon-ceramic brakes (CCM3) and the latest evolutionary leap of Ferrari's magnetorheological suspension control system. Yikes! :usa:

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Sounds great, looks like a great performer. Overall, I like it.

Only thing that strikes me as odd, is the front end. It's almost like they intentionally tried to make the front end a big awkward, less refined, like they were trying to make a Ferrari muscle-car. You know, like simplistic lines, overtly agressive. A bit more "Howdy Doody", a bit less "Grey Poupon".

It looks shocking enough, but I don't know if you could call it classically beautiful. The 599 seems to have more artistic input into the styling. But I guess Ferrari needs to keep things shook up, break the patterns every once in a while, to keep the brand out in front, in peoples' perception.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am I the only one seeing very Viperish curvy lines in the F12? Especially the side profile? The headlights look like the Hotwheels Viper light treatment. I wouldn't be surprised if the Viper shares the chassis with this Ferrari. From the pics it has Viper-like dimensions to me. The side scallop treatment looks similar to one rendering for the new Viper.

I like the F12 but the front isnt as nice as the rear. I love this Photoshop of what the rear should have looked like by one of the posters on that site.
You must be registered for see images attach

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I for one, LOVE the new F12. The current 599GTO is my favorite car anywhere, and one of the few (if only cars) I would give up the Viper for. However, that will never happen in my lifetime! That being said, the new F12 is the next generation, and with 740 hp, and over 500 lb ft, is going to be a new benchmark for performance. However, you will probably be able to but 3-4 Gen Vs for the same price, so it's not really a comparison. I do think that there may be some crossbreeding DNA between the two though.

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think Ferrari and SRT being part of FIAT will limit the Viper one bit. They are in completely different markets and do not even remotely appeal to the same buyers. That doesn't mean that someone buying an F12 wouldn't also buy a Viper, it means they wouldn't be considering one or the other. Ferrari is also not a top performer nor has it been for some time. There are too many competitors now. I think they are smart on focusing on all around features; exclusivity, solid performance, beauty, technology, and most important, brand recognition.

For the record, if Ferrari would limit the SRT I'd say SRT should close it's doors and abandon the Viper. The whole premise of the Viper is range topping performance, raw uncompromised design, at a fraction of the price. If it can't beat the F12 by a significant margin I'd say it is a HUGE failure...regardless of what it looks like

canadian venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think Ferrari and SRT being part of FIAT will limit the Viper one bit. They are in completely different markets and do not even remotely appeal to the same buyers. That doesn't mean that someone buying an F12 wouldn't also buy a Viper, it means they wouldn't be considering one or the other. Ferrari is also not a top performer nor has it been for some time. There are too many competitors now. I think they are smart on focusing on all around features; exclusivity, solid performance, beauty, technology, and most important, brand recognition.

For the record, if Ferrari would limit the SRT I'd say SRT should close it's doors and abandon the Viper. The whole premise of the Viper is range topping performance, raw uncompromised design, at a fraction of the price. If it can't beat the F12 by a significant margin I'd say it is a HUGE failure...regardless of what it looks like

Since when Viper's goal was to beat Ferrari????????????? Ferrari is all about technology derived from F1 (F1 transmission, crazy aerodynamics, manetino,flexible wings.....)and Viper always was about raw performance (no t.c. until now, no fancy electronic aids, no fancy carbon fiber wings difuser...... ). How the hell can you compare the 2 as they're 2 different philosophy and 2 different buyer gender?????

Viper ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do like ferrari but I have never been a fan of their front engine designs . The style of the 454 is alot more appealing . The Tech and HP in this car is undeniably impressive !

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am I the only one seeing very Viperish curvy lines in the F12? Especially the side profile? The headlights look like the Hotwheels Viper light treatment. I wouldn't be surprised if the Viper shares the chassis with this Ferrari. From the pics it has Viper-like dimensions to me. The side scallop treatment looks similar to one rendering for the new Viper.

I like the F12 but the front isnt as nice as the rear. I love this Photoshop of what the rear should have looked like by one of the posters on that site.
You must be registered for see images attach

You are not the only one, I told a good friend the same thing the day the F12 came out.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who wants to bet that the new Viper will have a much better torque to weight ratio? Since the Gen IV was 560 pounds of torque and I believe ( I do not have inside data) that the Gen V will exceed 600 pounds of torque, I would not worry too much about the above Ferrari on a road course. The new Viper will be a world class vehicle and dominate everything on a road course. Think of it as evolving from a Dirty Harry car to a Sean Connery James Bond car.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree with Bob as well. Vipers have always been torque monsters (even a Gen 1 at 450 lb-ft is nothing to laugh at), and I believe the Gen V will easily top 600.

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no doubt that companies have limited performance of certain models to increase the sales of others. The Porsche Boxter being handicapped to favor the 911 is probably the prime exam ple.

IMO, the Ferrari hp rating will be the tops for the FIAT company BUT that doesn't mean squat! In the USA, people buy hp but the drive torque! The Viper area under the torque curve will be a LOT more than the Ferrari making the Viper a real street monster.

Would be nice of the Viper lost a bit of weight, tuned up the suspension and improved the seating/heat in the cockpit. Generally cleaned up and simplified the mechanics. That will take care of any Ferrari met on the street.

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
458 Italia is much hotter looking than the F12. There also appears to be some generous body roll on cornering but it may just the opposite lock drifting.

In addition, it is interesting how many sports cars end up with the same shape--especially in siloutte. It must be aerodynamics.

danviper1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
F12 is nice. That said not only is viper fraction of price when purchased, its a small fraction of cost for maintaining vs the Ferarri and that is another place exotic cars can kill you. To rich for my blood. Also to many things to worry about. I've never owned any ferarri, would love to drive one, but have been told my multiple ferarri owners they are "finicky" which is not a word I associate with my viper. Just get in, push start, and go.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ferrari raps like a street bike,the viper growls like a big bad dog. gonna be two differant animals to compare the engines

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang