Fair Price on a 2008

Jim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking to trade a Ferrari I have for a 2008 Viper SRT10 and some cash. The car appears to be in great shape but it has 52,000 miles on it. I know in a Ferrari this a car to stay away from since miles are an issue. What are the thoughts here and what is a fair price with this many miles.

Thanks!

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
KBB.com (Kelly Blue Book) is a good place to start, but it varies depending on the maintenance history. One good way to check is look at the color of the brake fluid. It should look more like apple juice than it does coffee. I keep receipts from all the parts/work that's been done on my car, so maybe see if the owner does the same. A lot of people on here will go with you to check out the car to see if they notice any issues. Check the car fax, but be aware that not all accidents get erported. Look at all the parts that wear out and will need to be replaced (tires, brake shoes, hoses, gas, brake and clutch pedals, seats, shift knob...) because no one wants to get a new car and then have to spend a small fortune to keep it on the road. Be as unbiased as possible, and don't let emotions cloud your judgement.

OP
OP
J

Jim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info and it is well taken. The KBB says that it is $52k+ but there are no other comparables for this many miles on the web so I'm trying to get some feedback. Assuming that the car is well maintained, does this seem high or fair for this many miles?

OP
OP
J

Jim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only reason I am looking at this is he was supposed to purchase the Ferrari outright. Now he thinks that he can't afford it unless he trades or sells the Viper. If I can get the car at a reasonable price for the trade, why not? I can always resell it after I have some fun for a while. Any thoughts on what is reasonable?

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That seems high for that many miles. I would probably be in the $48-50k range.

FWIW I have an 08 and am driving the crap out of it because that is why I bought it and know that it will diminish value. All those miles certainly did not diminish the fun I had though.

OP
OP
J

Jim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree. I am one of the few that enjoys my Ferrari's putting several miles on them each year. I saw it posted on FChat that not driving your car to keep the miles off it is like having a girlfriend and not having sex with her so she is better for her next boyfriend. Have to agree on that one!

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking to trade a Ferrari I have for a 2008 Viper SRT10 and some cash. The car appears to be in great shape but it has 52,000 miles on it. I know in a Ferrari this a car to stay away from since miles are an issue. What are the thoughts here and what is a fair price with this many miles.

Thanks!

That's not a bad price and those miles aren't anything to worry about if the car has been taken care of. Is he the original owner of the car?

Also what Ferrari are you trading? I think in a trade situation you should come out slightly ahead as you're slightly at risk banking on having to sell the car later on.

Post pics of the 08. More then likely someone here knows or has seen the car before. I'd say if you're even remotely interested give it a go and see what happens. IMO I think you'll love the Viper and be hooked!

-Tim

OP
OP
J

Jim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is a one owner car and I agree about the risk. If there isn't a few thousand dollar cushion in there it isn't worth my time. I guess that is the real reason for the pricing question. If others feel that it is only $48k then I need to be in the low $40's as a fair market value to make it viable.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sure I am pretty familiar with this car, it is the black 08 Vert that has been on and off of eBay for a little while. This car is in great condition from the photos and records that he had showed but no matter how you cut it, there are still 52,000 miles on the car. My opinion, that is a $45,000 car all day long.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery