Fall Folliage Cruise Oct 11-12th, 2008 (Overnight)

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VIRGINIA-MARYLAND REGION

2008 Fall Cruise October 11-12, 2008

The VA-MD VCA Fall Cruise will be held Saturday-Sunday, October 11-12. Join us for a two-day tour over some great roads and through some very scenic countryside. If you have a garage queen and you don't like to put any miles on it, this excursion is not for you. We'll be driving about 250 miles each day, and nearly all those miles will be on quality two-lane roads with a high "fun-to-drive" quotient. Our route will be similar to the route we took last year, with some variations. Everyone who participated in this event last year loved the roads and had a great time.

On the first day we will cover about 280 miles. Our route will take us in a southwest direction along the Appalachian Mountains. We have 4 different pit stops planned for refueling and restroom intermissions. We will be traveling along the Virginia/West Virginia border throughout the day. Day one will conclude at the Holiday Inn Hotel in Staunton, Virginia around 5:00 PM.

The Hotel Information is as follows:

Holiday Inn
Golf and Conference Center Staunton
152 Fairway Lane
Staunton, Virginia 24401
(540) 248-6020
(800) 932-9061

The room rate is $110.00 per night. I have reserved 10 rooms, 8 King/2 Double. Please call the Hotel and make your reservations for Saturday September 26th. Please mention that the room is for the Viper Club to get the discounted rate. Here is a link to the hotel:

http://www.histaunton.com/hi/index.html

On the second day we will cover about 230 miles and we will leave the hotel at 9:00 AM. On this day we will travel northwest from Staunton to Thornwood, WV. We will then take a Northeast route into Strasburg, Virginia. The cruise will end there around 3:00 PM allowing everyone enough time to get back home.

If you do not want to participate on both days, you don't have to. You are welcome to come along for as much of the cruise as you wish. We have had attendees only participate on one day or even as little as part of the day in the past.

If you wish to participate in the Cruise, please let me know as soon as possible. You will need to make the room reservation before September 26th. After September 26th, any remaining rooms we have not booked will be released and will only be available on a first come-first serve basis. The room reservation can be cancelled anytime before 6 pm on the day of arrival. (That is a fantastic cancellation policy)

John Mavridis

VIRGINIA-MARYLAND REGION

Fall Cruise Event Schedule

October 11-12, 2008

Official starting point will be the Shoney's Restaurant at 1359 Berryville Avenue in Winchester, VA (directions below). Plan on meeting at 8:30 AM, we will have breakfast, discuss itinerary and hand out detail maps. My recommended place to stay in Winchester Friday night is the Hampton Inn North, at 1204 Berryville Avenue (540-678-4000). There are two Hampton Inns in Winchester; the other one (which you don't want) is at the Apple Blossom Mall.

We will depart the Shoney's Restaurant promptly at 9:45 am. Please be sure your tank is full. We've got 255 miles to cover Saturday, with lunch scheduled around 12:30 in Harrisonburg, VA. If you gas up in Harrisonburg, you should not need to refuel until we get to Staunton. We should arrive at the Holiday Inn in Staunton around 5:00 pm. Our excursion Saturday will take us from Winchester through Wardensville WV, Baker WV, Broadway VA, Harrisonburg VA, Franklin WV, Monterey VA, Warm Springs VA and Staunton VA. I'm not sure yet where we're going to eat Saturday night; I'm working on finding a place.

Sunday morning we'll leave Staunton at 9:00 am (breakfast in the Holiday Inn dining room). The early morning departure is so that we can take on the mountain roads of US-250 with minimal traffic. Our route Sunday will cover about 210 miles and will take us from Staunton through Monterey VA, Thornwood WV, Judy Gap WV, Seneca Rocks WV, Petersburg WV, Moorefield WV, Wardensville WV and wind up in Strasburg VA around 3:00 pm. Lunch is scheduled in Petersburg WV. Those of you heading west will probably want to turn off at either Seneca Rocks or Petersburg.

Those of you who traveled with us in the past will remember the fun we had on Route 55 in eastern WV (the expressway in the middle of Nowhere). I've planned this trip so that we can enjoy this road on both Saturday and Sunday. We will also include a short blast on Old Route 55. Our route Sunday is exactly the same as last year. Saturday's trip will take us on some different roads, however, and we'll tackle twisty US-33 between Harrisonburg and Franklin. (Hopefully the other traffic will cooperate.)

Directions to Shoney's Restaurant in Winchester, VA:

From the north via I-81, take exit 315. At the exit, you want to turn right onto Route 7 West toward the town of Winchester. Shoney's will be on your left immediately after you turn onto Route 7.
If you're coming on I-81 from the south, you will see Shoney's on the left side off I-81 just before you exit the interstate. On the exit ramp, stay to the right to take you onto Route 7 West. Once you cross over I-81, you will see Shoney's on the left.
If you're coming from Leesburg, Berryville or points east on Route 7, when you cross over I-81, you will see Shoney's on the left.

PM me if you have any questions.

VAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys I'm working on making this event. I just have a few things to square up and I'll know for sure. I look forward to meeting everyone.

Billy Coons

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like I'll actually be able to attend his event. Anyone heading up to Winchester from the Hampton Roads area? :drive:

Billy Coons

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had to go to court last year for a young Sailor of mine in Moorefield, WV and remember the awesome old 55 and the new 55 where it just stops in the middle of town... GREAT roads!

I think on Sunday afternoon my sigificant other and I will head up to my in-laws in Cumberland, MD, veering off on 220N through Keyser. Can't wait.

BTW, is this rain or shine? :usa:

VAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had to go to court last year for a young Sailor of mine in Moorefield, WV and remember the awesome old 55 and the new 55 where it just stops in the middle of town... GREAT roads!

I think on Sunday afternoon my sigificant other and I will head up to my in-laws in Cumberland, MD, veering off on 220N through Keyser. Can't wait.

BTW, is this rain or shine? :usa:

Good question... I hope if shine:D

OP
OP
ViperJohn

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they are only calling for rain one of the days, the event usually happens. If they call for rain on both, we would cancel. We have never had rain both days. In fact last year I never put my top on the entire weekend.

OP
OP
ViperJohn

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh and BTW, theres Old 55 and then theres 155.:D

At least that's what I have always called it....

OP
OP
ViperJohn

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bummer I'll miss this one. Looking forward to catching up with John et al soon.

When I saw you had posted I thought you might have been coming.....you've dissappeared my friend. Hopefully all is well and we can catch up soon. Dyno day coming up after Fall Cruise and then we have the Western MD Fall Cruise.

Billy Coons

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I saw you had posted I thought you might have been coming.....you've dissappeared my friend. Hopefully all is well and we can catch up soon. Dyno day coming up after Fall Cruise and then we have the Western MD Fall Cruise.

Should be able to make the Western MD cruise also...in-laws live in Cumberland, MD and would love to see us.

VAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like I'm going for the first day:drive:. I have to many things to take care of Sunday otherwise I would attend both days. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone.:D

ViperJohn
Not sure if you cought this or not, but the date in the quote below should be Saturday 10/11.

The room rate is $110.00 per night. I have reserved 10 rooms, 8 King/2 Double. Please call the Hotel and make your reservations for Saturday September 26th. Please mention that the room is for the Viper Club to get the discounted rate. Here is a link to the hotel:

OP
OP
ViperJohn

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like I'm going for the first day:drive:. I have to many things to take care of Sunday otherwise I would attend both days. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone.:D

ViperJohn
Not sure if you cought this or not, but the date in the quote below should be Saturday 10/11.

The date is right. They reserve a block of rooms for us. Any rooms that have not been assigned by the 26th will be released to the public. Hope that makes sense.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The date is right. They reserve a block of rooms for us. Any rooms that have not been assigned by the 26th will be released to the public. Hope that makes sense.

So instead of "make your reservations for Saturday September 26th", it should say "make your reservations by Saturday September 26th".....or something like that. :D

OP
OP
ViperJohn

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So instead of "make your reservations for Saturday September 26th", it should say "make your reservations by Saturday September 26th".....or something like that. :D

Uhhhh, no, no, no.....for as in before...:smirk:

(Oops)

OP
OP
ViperJohn

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kcobean you attending?

ViperJohn,
How many people do we have so far?

I wanted to answer your question after I gathred the information:

7 cars overnight. 2 on Sat, 2 more on Sunday (not overnight). 4 rooms still available as of 12:00 pm.

We may have more cars, but I don't know how many people are sharing rooms.

OP
OP
ViperJohn

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like I'll actually be able to attend his event. Anyone heading up to Winchester from the Hampton Roads area? :drive:

I didn't see your name on the reservation list under the club. Please make sure you get your reservation in before all the rooms are booked up. Thanks.

VAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wanted to answer your question after I gathred the information:

7 cars overnight. 2 on Sat, 2 more on Sunday (not overnight). 4 rooms still available as of 12:00 pm.

We may have more cars, but I don't know how many people are sharing rooms.

Good news:D Should be a fun weekend.

OP
OP
ViperJohn

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A more detail itenary will be handed out in Winchester, but I have recieved numerous emails/*** regarding the route. Here is a map of Day 1 and Day 2.

Fall_Cruise_Day_1.jpg

Fall_Cruise_Day_2.jpg

OP
OP
ViperJohn

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please ignore the 2005 Date, don't have the time to Photoshop before posting.

Billy Coons

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't see your name on the reservation list under the club. Please make sure you get your reservation in before all the rooms are booked up. Thanks.

I'll be staying with my sister-in-law in Kearneysville Friday night and meeting up with all of you on Saturday morning. I'm booked at the Holiday Inn in Staunton for Saturday night. Anyone hear the weather there yet?

OP
OP
ViperJohn

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
30% Chance of light rain both days. But it was also suppose to rain today and the weather was absolutely beautiful in Maryland today. It's too far out to be accurate. Just be sure to do your "No-Rain dance."