Fan turns off when trans goes into reverse

cmattb25

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am currently getting this issue as well. Mine also is not lighting up the back up lights when reverse is selected. The first thing I did was check for blown fuses. After some good advice, I ordered a reverse switch for the transmission. I am waiting on it to come in to verify that is the issue but it seems to be the likely source. I will let you know if that does the trick for me, it should be here any day.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never noticed the fan turning off, but my lights quit working and the reverse switch for the trans fixed it right up.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeremy, time to get a service manual for your new toy. :)

I have electrical testers if you need to use 'em. Shep might even be helpful here. PhD in EE should make this pretty simple for him to figure out.

billseast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 03 does the same thing. I have to restart it to get the fan back on. I just back into parking spots now to make it easier.

OP
OP
G

gutterworks129

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jeremy, time to get a service manual for your new toy. :)

I have electrical testers if you need to use 'em. Shep might even be helpful here. PhD in EE should make this pretty simple for him to figure out.
Thanks Craig, we need to start a viper shop around here!lol

cmattb25

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My switch came in. It's going in the car on Friday. Hopefully that will do the trick. I will report back when I know.

Reaction score
The blower is controlled by a relay and that relay coil is fed by the run-only feed that also feeds the back-up switch. That feed comes out of the body controller so it has short circuit protection that would shut down the feed for that ignition cycle if it detected a short. There may be a short in the wiring between the back-up switch and the reverse lamps, possibly in the lamp itself. The wire routes through the under body to the lamps so the short would most likely be under the car somewhere. An easy check would be to put the car in reverse and verify the lamps are not coming on.

Hope this helps.