Fastest speed in your Viper?

NoRice

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ran it today up to 173-175mph in a couple 7/10ths or 8/10ths mile roll ons. It was the fastest I have ever been in a car. It was amazingly very stable and felt great at that speed. Would driving at that speed with the top up make a difference at all, as I did todays runs with the top and windows down? I figure with the profile of the car it probably wouldn't make any difference.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Congrats! IMO, having the top and windows up the car should have better aero conducive to even faster speed. I've been 198 MPH in my GTS with more to go...top up of course. Stock GTSs have hit 175 MPH in the standing mile so I think with your SRT buttoned up with a 522 & a Paxton you could be much faster. BTW, if you don't have a real roll bar you might want to think about getting one.

OP
OP
N

NoRice

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Rollbar is 2nd on my list of things to do, but realistically do you think rolling at 170mph+ a roll bar is going to save me? If it did save me, I would probably be in a condition for the rest of my life I wouldn't want to be in, and would probably wish I had died in the crash. But one will be going in to protect me in those 75mph and under crashes that I will most likely encounter and wish I had a roll bar for.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Ya never know. Did you see the pic of the ENZO that rolled 7 times at 200 MPH? The guy walked away with some broken ribs, thumb, fingers. Cockpit of the Enzo was intact due to the structure which basically had a built in roll bar as part of the roof structure(it was modded to a roadster). I think you're smarter and better off with one than without no matter what the speed. BTW, I've got an Autoform roll bar in my GTS. Worst case you survive in a condition you'd rather not be in you can have someone pull the plug. Just don't kill anyone else on those "private test tracks".

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Speed limit here in Iowa is 70. :smirk:

That being said, on a "closed private track" I've had my 93 up to 155 with no top or windows. Adrenaline rush and I can now say I know what it would feel like to be in a tornado.

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Got mine up to 160 on the long straight at Pocono raceway. Car felt great, but my sphinkter started to pucker when I saw the big, banked turn ahead, lol. It's times like that when you appreciate the Viper's superior brakes even more than it's power.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So far Ive only been hitting the 150's in mine. The few times Ive done it, I also had the top down. But I was suprised at how stable the car feels. I remember doing 145-150 in my 99' Camaro and it didnt feel near the same as my Viper. But regardless, Im still not used to high speed in cars. I felt more comfortable doing 178mph on my streetbike. Go figure.

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
Congrats! IMO, having the top and windows up the car should have better aero conducive to even faster speed. I've been 198 MPH in my GTS with more to go...top up of course.

DEVILDOG, how fast have you gone in your GTS with your TOP DOWN?? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
167 was the fastest car felt stable but with the top down the wind was like a......... fishing trawler.....LOL

Snakesonaplane

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doing 150+mph on a public road is just stupid. Especially hate to think of the amatuer driver attempting this "just for fun" who doesnt know what can happen if anything goes wrong at that speed. Sorry had a buddy get killed from a tire blowing out in his ferrari "to see what it could do".....you know what it did...left a wife a widow..and kids without a dad...

This is an immature thread that should be killed

Snakesonaplane

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Insert hands behind arm to make the appearance of Muscles....

Attemp 1

9593DSC_0752-med.JPG

No 149 is not ok...wiseguy....

If excessive speed is your thing...do it the right way...on a track. Again you think its all "fun and games" until something goes wrong....

Driving 180mph on a a public road is completely irresponsible...and shows lack of self worth for your own life....

DocAdam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
155 on the back straight of Summit Point, I probably could have gotten a little faster but turn 1 comes mighty fast and you need to be at 60 or so if you don't want to be in the gravel.

Snakesonaplane

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think going a little over the speed limit is ok :) 55 mph....is crawling

But Excessive speed like discussed above that will put you in Jail if you get caught....is irresponsible

Again the "coolness" factor that this thread is obviously trying to evoke disregards what will happen if a car that is not set up for high speed crashing does loose control.....those results are not cool. And god forbid you hurt an innocent person while you attempt these speeds on public roads....

Stupidity 101

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Althoough you guys are right, people are always going to take risks and push limits. You cant be evryones Dad. I doubt anyone here has attempted this in rush hour traffic. I know when Ive done it,there wasnt a car on the road within a mile of me behind me or ahead of me. But either way, 80 mph or 180 mph, your breaking the law. Its just up to th individual on when and were to be irresponsible and have a little fun.

OP
OP
N

NoRice

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nobody asked for the legality or the safety of driving this fast. It was a simple question that did not need to be debated. How fast have you driven your Viper, plain and simple? Leave the debating to the politicians.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock GTSs have hit 175 MPH in the standing mile so I think with your SRT buttoned up with a 522 & a Paxton you could be much faster.

175 mph in the standing mile in a stock GTS?

I'm sorry, but I don't buy that. A stock GTS will go between 160-165mph in the standing mile. If it's going 175, it isn't stock.

As for my top speed in my SRT-10, I've been 188mph. That was on a divided highway that was empty, flat, and straight for as far as the eye could see.

The car could have gone faster, but I had to slow down due to law enforcement presence.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently drove 120+ mph for about 3 hours straight (Ok, I slowed to 110 a couple times) Last summer it was an 8 hour drive at an average of 115.

Top speed in the Viper? 175 before I got sceered. Of going to jail.

Snakesonaplane

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sorry 80 and 180 are not two speeds that are comparable in terms of "pushing the limits"

You are right though that SOME people have complete disregard for the safety of others and themselves...and they have chimed in here.

Its a ******* contest to see who is more stupid. Funny part is they think its cool

OP
OP
N

NoRice

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm sorry 80 and 180 are not two speeds that are comparable in terms of "pushing the limits"

You are right though that SOME people have complete disregard for the safety of others and themselves...and they have chimed in here.

Its a ******* contest to see who is more stupid. Funny part is they think its cool

I can see you are going to be a great addition here. :rolleyes: In 8 posts and being reg. on the board for 3 hours, you have managed to add nothing, criticized an exotic run you took part in because they were not all exotics, you insulted another members car and on top of it showed your racist attitude with the asian school girl comment and want to attack others who happen to drive fast. Do us a favor and **** and leave or at least stop being an azzhat.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Stock GTSs have hit 175 MPH in the standing mile so I think with your SRT buttoned up with a 522 & a Paxton you could be much faster.

175 mph in the standing mile in a stock GTS?

I'm sorry, but I don't buy that. A stock GTS will go between 160-165mph in the standing mile. If it's going 175, it isn't stock.

As for my top speed in my SRT-10, I've been 188mph. That was on a divided highway that was empty, flat, and straight for as far as the eye could see.

The car could have gone faster, but I had to slow down due to law enforcement presence.

Sorry, I was a little off, however, closer than you were...Motor Trend, Fast & Furious Top Speed Shootout, May 1988, Vol. 50. No. 5, pg. 58, One-mile acceleration-standing start, Dodge Viper GTS, 30.1 sec @ 173.3 MPH. :smirk:

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
146mph in the GTS, before braking into turn 17 at Sebring. Don't think it's wise going those kind of speeds on public roads, but I'd have know problem on a closed track. JMO

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So far Ive only been hitting the 150's in mine. The few times Ive done it, I also had the top down. But I was suprised at how stable the car feels. I remember doing 145-150 in my 99' Camaro and it didnt feel near the same as my Viper. But regardless, Im still not used to high speed in cars. I felt more comfortable doing 178mph on my streetbike. Go figure.

I'm the same way. It's funny but a bike at top speed feels more comfortable than a car. I regularly get mine up to top speed. Approx 190 mph on a road that is empty all the time, has no traffic and no approaches or driveways. It's a blast. The bike gets up there so much faster than the car though. It doesnt take long to hit top speed. I guess at that speed if I wipe out I have no one to hurt but myself. Thats the other nice thing about this road...there's nothing to hit if you fall off. Just a dirt ditch. I havent had my Viper over 120 mph yet but it sure feels grounded at that speed. Better than my Vette was.

Snakesonaplane

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NoRice...

Why do sensitive? Do you actually like that 350z? I'm guessing by your name you dont...

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Snakes on a Plane = Stupid movie.

Snakesonaplane = slightly ********

If you read my post above, I said I averaged 115 over 8 hours. Does this concern you, dad?

My point was, there is a safe time and place for 'advertureous' driving. The Autobahn in Germany was that place. Just like skydiving, you have to assess the risk before doing something 'risky'. 150+ in a Viper happens so quick....well some people just wouldn't understand.