Fiberglass/hood cracking question

SneakyPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buzzzz,

Your hood will just keep getting worse and worse not matter what you do.

One of our vipers is a black 95 RT/10 and the hood is cracked all over the place. Looks like stress cracks, but it is actually defective gel coated hoods on these year. DaimlerChrysler is fixing them, but you really have to work them to get them to fix their own defects.

DaimlerChrysler first said they would not fix it at all, then agreed to pay 1/3, then agreed to pay 1/2 the price to have it fixed, which ranges about $5,000.00. We what them to pay for the entire repair, the car only has 6000 mile on it.

Start with your local dealer and also call the DaimlerChrysler Customer Assistance number with your VIN # and open a complaint file. This will get you on the path to getting DaimlerChrysler to fix your hood.

Shoot me an email if you get stuck

Buzzzz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a question for the fiberglass/hood experts. When closing the hood, is the fiberglass more likely to develop the dreaded "stress cracks" when the fiberglass itself is hot, or cold? (i.e. cold meaning that the car has been sitting in the garage all night, hot meaning after a long drive in the afternoon sun). Or does surface temp not make a difference? My hood has a very small crack that hasn't spread (so far), but I hold me breath every time I shut the hood. I'm wondering if there's an ideal temp that the hood surface should be at to reduce the risk of new cracks forming.

- Buzzzz

Birvini

Enthusiast
Reaction score
slithrn,

What is the difference between stress cracks and defects? The guys at SVS told me I have stress cracks on my 94 RT/10. I have told Chrysler about it and they told me to go jump. It's clear that this is a problem.

Thanks,
Bill

OP
OP
S

SneakyPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The stress cracks come from a defective gel coat on the fiberglass hoods. We dont have a DaimlerChrysler extended warrantee, but they are now willing to pay for half of the repair.

They take off the paint and the gel coat and then reapply the gel coat, smooth down and repaint. Chrysler will give you the name of a certifed body shop in your area that they use for these repairs.

As far as a replace, they will replace the hood, only if it cannot be repaired.

DaimlerChrysler is really tight on honoring defects since Daimler bought Chrysler. The first time we went to a dealer to inquire about the hood, we were told that DaimlerChrysler would not fix/replace the hood and now we are up to them paying for half the repair.

Shoot me an email, and I will get you a contact name of a person that should be able to help you out.

I think they will fix it, but it takes alot of effort to get there.

Have you opened a customer complaint file with the toll free number listed above.

Birvini

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe there is a complaint file opened, but I'm not sure. The regional rep for the area of Chicago I'm in declined to look at the car. He denied my claim without even looking at the car. D/C Customer Care claimed the the rep's word was final. I would appreciate any help you can give.

Tim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Between the cracked hoods and side sill corrosion maybe it's time for a class action suit?

Tim

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456