Finally bought a Viper today

OP
OP
B

Blainne

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congrats!

I like your landscaping...Very low maintenance = more Viper time.

Lol... if I dump another thousand dollars on that F;in lawn.. I'm going to just burn it... and gravel the whole F'in yard. The home is only a year and 2 months old. I was deployed a year of that time in Iraq so not much time has been spent in yard work except for dishing out thousand to Scotts Lawn Care to grow grass on Kentucky Clay and rocks while I was deployed. Most of this month has been spent in South America. Some day I'll get to play in my own yard. Since I've been back.. I believe its rained 99% of the time. I guess I'm just kidding myself on having time to do it myself... guess its time to get some quotes from local landscapers. :p

Last edited:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Blainne, here's an old post of mine on the crank issue...HARD to find with "current search status":

Well, I cheated and searched my old posts!! ALL Vipers EXCEPT the 2004 and maybe some EARLY 2005's have a "big dog" of a crank damper bolt...that should be checked periodically, especially if running high HP. For whatever reason, 2004's and MAYBE some early 2005's have a "teeny weeney" sized crank damper bolt, which was torqued to MUCH lower specs...and, in my opinion (as well as that of several of the better known Viper Techs' opinion) was prone to getting loose with potentially disasterous results. There IS a fix...but I personally worry about the loose ones that were "owner-fixed" as well due to their potential propensity to "rear the ugly head" of delayed failure down the road as it is hard to estimate likelihood of damage from the harmonics that could have been unleashed. For bolt specifics, see my post below:

"Actually, the search key reveals a lot:

From this thread in which Dan lays out the problem: " Re: My Crankshaft Damper Bolt was falling out. "

http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/sho...mp;o=&vc=1

The Text in part that I posted says: "Earlier in this thread I posted:

" You decide..."the year MAY matter"...

03 Manual says "250 ft-lbs"

04 Manual says "130 ft-lbs"

05 Manual says "130 ft-lbs"
---------------------------------------

Now (thanks to Tim in Parts at Indy's Champion Dodge) here more info taken straight from the Dodge computer (with a little extra effort).

Crankshaft Damper Bolts:

2003 part number 6036207AA size 0.75x16x2.250 (inches)

2004 part number 6506340AA size M14x1.5x102.0 (metric)

2005 part number 6506340AA size M14x1.5x102.0 (metric)

2005 part number 6036207AA size 0.75x16x2.250 (inches)

2006 part number 6036207AA size 0.75x16x2.250 (inches)

LOOKS TO ME AS THOUGH THERE WAS A RUNNING CHANGE SOMETIME IN THE 2005 MODEL YEAR.

By the way, I have ordered one of each just to compare.

Hope this helps !!!"
-----------------------------------
So I ordered BOTH varients of the bolts and posted: "Both sizes of bolts arrived this AM...the BIG difference in the two jumps right out at you when holding them side-by-side in one's own hand!!"

and, later in that thread I posted:

" JUST completed the "bolt inspection" of a beautiful 2006 Coupe (blue/white)...#30 of 200...at Indy's Palmer Dodge North...Viper Tech Phil Honeycutt did the formal inspection and AFFIRMS that for 2006 the crank damper bolt has the 1.25 inch( 1 1/4" ) hex head ("big bolt"), with a small blue dot on center of this bolt which, otherwise looks like the same bolt as found on the 2003 Vipers....THANKS, Phil & Palmer !!!

While Kurt and I were at it, we visited the nice folks at Indy's Champion Dodge...and looked at the bolts on a red 2005 SRT-10 and on a 2005 Copperhead SRT-10....in BOTH cases, the crank damper bolts were the same as on the 2006 Viper...with the same blue dot....THANKS, Champion !!!

So, the REAL QUESTION is...when did the running change occur ???(most likely in 05 by MY guess).

Bottom line:
Owners of 2004's and early 2005's SHOULD have this checked out (in MY opinion) at one's dealership to be safe and sure."

BJG32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much did you pay for the 04 SRT? My car matches the mileage and year and I am just curious....

Car looks great....congrats!

BJG32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well done. Think about striping? My car before and after. Local Dodge dealer (where I bought car) did it to factory specs (color and dimensions).

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Way better with stripes...!!!

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I went with a coupe I would definitely stripe it. Haven't seen a black Vert. yet that I like the stripes on it yet. I'm going to change over the wheels, hood, exhaust, and add a custom Nav. unit first. Then who knows...

Won't be in town for the cruise on June 3rd. I'll be able to make the detailing event on May 21st though.

Nice car!!! Have fun with your mods.

Question for you and everyone... Why does it seem like everyone hates the early Gen 3 wheels? I think they look great on my silver 03 SRT-10. They look especially good going down the road. You (or anyone) can send your Gen 3 wheels to me... I'll pay shipping! :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog