Finally drove the SRT viper

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I finally had the pleasure of test driving the car. It rode very well actually. I don't know what drone people are complaining about I didn't hear anything so maybe those guys have really really good ears, though last time I went for a check up my hearing was perfect. I was so shocked at the clutch, which was the biggest surprise. That clutch felt like an Acura it was soooo light. The exhaust is not loud at all actually. I don't think it is any louder than my shelby even if the exhaust is right next to my ears. I tried to drive over some bumpy roads to see how it handled them, but wasn't many bad roads around. Went over a few bumps but it handled them fine. I still wonder what it is like on a really bad road. I wonder what the corsa exhaust sounds like because the stock exhaust is pretty crappy sounding.

I didn't really care for the shifter. Too knotchy feeling but I could get use to it. Overall a very nice car. And the dealer said if I wanted it and this was a fully loaded GTS that they would give it to me for an EXTREMELY good price and I'll just leave it at that. Lets just say it was no where near MSRP and well below for all those paying MSRP or higher. In the end it is just a car. Although a very nice one.

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There already deprciating. Pretty sad, but it happens all the time. Wait till the 14's come out and these things are sitting on lots. Oh boy...

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Just a car". ?? Are u sure you test drove the correct car?

The V is THE hottest & most exciting new supercar out this year..just sayin

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There already deprciating. Pretty sad, but it happens all the time. Wait till the 14's come out and these things are sitting on lots. Oh boy...

Vipers hold pretty good value. Several IV 's on dupont registry right now listed in six figures and they're at least 3 years old

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you test drove one. Shifter loosens up nicely and becomes very smooth after a few thousand miles. Most Viper owners will never experience that (a few thousand miles, LOL!)

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you test drove one. Shifter loosens up nicely and becomes very smooth after a few thousand miles. Most Viper owners will never experience that (a few thousand miles, LOL!)

Yea it was nice. Like I imagined the things that I didn't like were annoyances but not enough to be deal breakers. I didn't burn my leg what so ever getting in or out of the car. The sill didn't feel hot after driving for 20 minutes. Maybe it takes longer than that. I mean for that price they offering I mean that is a lot of car for such a great price.

I found out though the margin between invoice and MSRP is around 8500 so I don't believe people doing better than that on these cars.

I really wanted to not like this car because I don't want to go American again after the shelby's lack of refinement. So I mean now it is either aston or viper???? Nine Ball since you have so many miles how does it feel now that you have driven it? Does it feel as tight as the day you bought it? I know for me the shelby has loosened up completely everywhere and it is like a different car when compared to when it had less than 100 miles. I want a very secure feeling car and the viper felt that way but I wonder if it stays that way.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you drive it and aren't in love, the car isn't for you.

It would take a ferrari or something like that to make me in love with a car. The viper is nice that is all I will say. Very good for the price.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aston will loosen up nicely and depreciate much worse & will be a high maintenance money pit.

Takes longer than a 20 min drive to make the side sills piping hot.

If you love Ferrari you can get a pre-owned one for the same price as a new fully optioned V. Get what u love.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aston will loosen up nicely and depreciate much worse & will be a high maintenance money pit.

Takes longer than a 20 min drive to make the side sills piping hot.

If you love Ferrari you can get a pre-owned one for the same price as a new fully optioned V. Get what u love.

Lol and the maintenance will backrupt me. No I'm not ready yet for that. A viper is good. Good luxury, good performance, and cheap maintenance. All I would do is get some HRE wheels for it and maybe do that corsa exhaust.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After the 360 they got rid of those wack cheap belts u could get a 430 with extended warranty & maintenance wouldn't be bad; though all the F1 tranny's are starting to go I hear so a CPO vehicle is a must on the F car.

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the belts on a ferrari are the least of the problems on a preowned ferrari. Any repair is sticker shock.

This is why so many Preowned Ferrari's have 6 or 7 owners. Everyone thinks the purchase price is all you pay until the first repair bill arrives.

I know an owner that a bought 355 new. in 15 years, all the service reciepts on his 355 added up to over $38,000.( no exaggeration)

Anyone can buy a Ferrari as long as they never drive it....

I bought my Viper new in 1997 and have 21,000 miles and can say that I doubt I paid over $1000 in 17 years in repairs/maintainence . ( I do $100 oil changes every 5000 miles)

And that total includes changing the plastic pullies on the serpentine belt for the billet ones.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just saying if he wants a pos Ferrari then he should get a pos Ferrari.

I personally shopped a 430 spider against a gallardo spyder & the Lamborghini won hands down. In 3.5 years of ownership I averaged 1,000 bucks per year on service. And it was the most reliable car I've owned to date.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just saying if he wants a pos Ferrari then he should get a pos Ferrari.

I personally shopped a 430 spider against a gallardo spyder & the Lamborghini won hands down. In 3.5 years of ownership I averaged 1,000 bucks per year on service. And it was the most reliable car I've owned to date.

I wouldn't buy any other ferrari except a 599 or 458. Other than that I rather have a gallardo. And like I said before. I am not at the point in my life to have that kind of car. I think the viper is a good step up and a reasonable one. It is amazing though after sitting in all of those aston martins the viper interior now looks cheap when before it looked luxurious to me. I have to stop sitting in nicer cars, it is giving me a jaded view.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy any other ferrari except a 599 or 458. Other than that I rather have a gallardo. And like I said before. I am not at the point in my life to have that kind of car. I think the viper is a good step up and a reasonable one. It is amazing though after sitting in all of those aston martins the viper interior now looks cheap when before it looked luxurious to me. I have to stop sitting in nicer cars, it is giving me a jaded view.

"nicer" LOL the aston is junk. I think some of the best luxurious interior craftsmanship in the world is Bentley and having owned one I think the GTS is quite similar to it. again buy what u want; I shopped the Bentley against the aston martin rapide...the latter shouldn't even have 4 doors because there was more leg room in the 2+2 Continental gt that I ended up choosing over the aston...both had 12 cylinder engines but the Bentley interior crushed the aston and so doesn't the interior on the V.

you should join aston life and Ferrari life and be peace out already just sayin

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"nicer" LOL the aston is junk. I think some of the best luxurious interior craftsmanship in the world is Bentley and having owned one I think the GTS is quite similar to it. again buy what u want; I shopped the Bentley against the aston martin rapide...the latter shouldn't even have 4 doors because there was more leg room in the 2+2 Continental gt that I ended up choosing over the aston...both had 12 cylinder engines but the Bentley interior crushed the aston and so doesn't the interior on the V.

you should join aston life and Ferrari life and be peace out already just sayin

No offense but I think you are on some serious drugs. You think the viper interior is closer to bentley but an aston martin interior isn't? This is one of those times where you are so out of left field that I won't even bother debating this because it is such a waste of time. It is exactly like the ******* who the moment I pulled up to the aston martin dealer, this dumb guy tried to talk like he knows more about my own car than me. And after he spitted a bunch of wrong facts to his fellow colleague and manager that I didn't bother to correct him on, he then said my car is made at the shelby factory in Nevada and that Carroll Shelby personally designed the car. At that point I told him "shut up, time for the grown ups to talk business". I would say the same to you but I know you are way older than me and aren't a stupid kid who spends his time learning BS facts about cars rather than working on trying to afford them so I can't really say that so I just won't argue with you.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh another thing I didn't like about the car was the pedal placement. They were way way too close to each other. I know the pedals are adjustable. For the owners does this mean the pedals adjust left to right so I can increase the space between them? The manager and sales people knew nothing about the car so I couldn't ask them anything.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even after 5200 miles, the car is still just as tight and rattle-free as the day I bought it. Even my Gen 3 Viper is like that, after 15,000 miles of hard 1000+ hp pulls. The cars are solid, largely because they are so simple.

Door sills never get hot enough to leave a mark. If the sills are too hot, then someone might want to question their masculinity. The exhaust tips are hot, but those are recessed and you shouldn't ever worry about touching those. You'll need to do some WOT blasts to get them nice and toasty. But, unless you are under 5'-0" tall, you should have no problem stepping a leg over the sill to get in/out. People just like to complain. I also agree, my car has no drone at all. Again, people just like to complain. This is a Viper, it is supposed to be loud and rowdy. You don't buy a car with side exit exhaust if you can't handle it. haha

Tony

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even after 5200 miles, the car is still just as tight and rattle-free as the day I bought it. Even my Gen 3 Viper is like that, after 15,000 miles of hard 1000+ hp pulls. The cars are solid, largely because they are so simple.

Door sills never get hot enough to leave a mark. If the sills are too hot, then someone might want to question their masculinity. The exhaust tips are hot, but those are recessed and you shouldn't ever worry about touching those. You'll need to do some WOT blasts to get them nice and toasty. But, unless you are under 5'-0" tall, you should have no problem stepping a leg over the sill to get in/out. People just like to complain. I also agree, my car has no drone at all. Again, people just like to complain. This is a Viper, it is supposed to be loud and rowdy. You don't buy a car with side exit exhaust if you can't handle it. haha

Tony

Roe racing sells a thermal wrap to decrease the door sill temps ( gen2). I am more feminine, so I bought them and they work really well. Did not get rid of all the heat but noticed a large decrease and hopefully will prevent further ruin my side sill paint.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roe racing sells a thermal wrap to decrease the door sill temps ( gen2). I am more feminine, so I bought them and they work really well. Did not get rid of all the heat but noticed a large decrease and hopefully will prevent further ruin my side sill paint.

I would just be worried about the paint since MT found the paint melting on their gen V

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Do the Gen 2 cars come with the Inconel heat shields, like the Gen 3+ have? I've never burned myself on my '06, either. Hot to the touch, yes, but not enough to leave a mark or singe the leg hairs.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No offense but I think you are on some serious drugs. You think the viper interior is closer to bentley but an aston martin interior isn't? This is one of those times where you are so out of left field that I won't even bother debating this because it is such a waste of time. It is exactly like the ******* who the moment I pulled up to the aston martin dealer, this dumb guy tried to talk like he knows more about my own car than me. And after he spitted a bunch of wrong facts to his fellow colleague and manager that I didn't bother to correct him on, he then said my car is made at the shelby factory in Nevada and that Carroll Shelby personally designed the car. At that point I told him "shut up, time for the grown ups to talk business". I would say the same to you but I know you are way older than me and aren't a stupid kid who spends his time learning BS facts about cars rather than working on trying to afford them so I can't really say that so I just won't argue with you.

no drugs here just stating my opinion. another thing I hate about aston is the Ford model that Ford just made that looks just like it in the front; The Chrysler 300's resemblance to the Bentley was also something I hated and one of the reasons I ditched it.

And you can state yours until our government attacks the 1st amendment the way it has the 4th and 2nd, but that's another topic. back on topic, why do u spend so much time here if the snake isn't for you?

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tony

Totally. And if anything the pipes need to run hotter and LOUDER. I did a 40 mile run today with a V10 R8 & a Lamborghini Gallardo, both of which had aftermarket exhausts on them and felt inferior with my UPS truck sound. Need. Corsa. Yesterday.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Totally. And if anything the pipes need to run hotter and LOUDER. I did a 40 mile run today with a V10 R8 & a Lamborghini Gallardo, both of which had aftermarket exhausts on them and felt inferior with my UPS truck sound. Need. Corsa. Yesterday.

That is because the r8 and lambo have the same v10 and are what proper v10s should sound like. Unfortunately the viper no matter what aftermarket exhaust you put on it will never sound like that. It will sound like a UPS truck.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no drugs here just stating my opinion. another thing I hate about aston is the Ford model that Ford just made that looks just like it in the front; The Chrysler 300's resemblance to the Bentley was also something I hated and one of the reasons I ditched it.

And you can state yours until our government attacks the 1st amendment the way it has the 4th and 2nd, but that's another topic. back on topic, why do u spend so much time here if the snake isn't for you?

Because I'm trying to convince myself it is since it is not such a huge leap into the exotic territory which I think is a bit much at this point but it is the best american car out there right now.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Have you checked the grille on new Dodge Dart? The chrome trim looks a lot like the one on new Viper. Good thing the headlights are borrowed from Ferrari, no need to hate that part, LOL.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well I wouldn't prejudge anything you haven't seen or heard before. my hunch is corsa will have a good mod exhaust for the V, but its premature and unrealistic to state that nothing will change the factory sound.

Havent seen the dart front but I've seen the C7 nose that lots of folks say were taken from the V; still think they're different and i'm happy to be one of the only few hundred people in the world whom owns one.

There are be's and there are wanna be's. Glad i'm the former & not the latter.

now where is that ignore button.....

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well I wouldn't prejudge anything you haven't seen or heard before. my hunch is corsa will have a good mod exhaust for the V, but its premature and unrealistic to state that nothing will change the factory sound.

Havent seen the dart front but I've seen the C7 nose that lots of folks say were taken from the V; still think they're different and i'm happy to be one of the only few hundred people in the world whom owns one.

There are be's and there are wanna be's. Glad i'm the former & not the latter.

now where is that ignore button.....

I didn't say the factory sound couldn't be changed. I said the truck sound wouldn't be changed and it won't. Nature of the engine and side exhaust exits make it sound that way. If the engine was tweaked different and it exited out the back then we'd be in business.