finally got my viper!! 35 hours and 2000 miles later!!

RI-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just pick it up 2 days ago. drove total of 35 hours about 2,000 miles to own a 2005 dodge viper roadster.!! with 32,***. bright yellow with a carbon fiber lip and side skirts and the rear diffuser with black powoder coated wheels. a few lil things wrong with it. just wondering wats the best upgrades

-door panels top moldings near window coming apart. i read that this is like 800 each door panel. read that some people make a home kit.

- power steering leaking on the pump hose up top i think i read its some kind of flow valve? can that be replace with out the line?? i found this kit. shop.jtsvp.com/product.sc?productId=550&categoryId=242. but the previous owner already replaced the radiator fan and the 2 fittings on the radiator fan when picking up vehicle i guess it had a bad vibration on high speed.

-dash pad coming unglued near the center vent and passenger side near speaker

-also got this rubbing noise in the rear when turning sounds like tire rubbing on the fender liner? any know problems? i check the wheel bearing for play nothing and look at the liner nothing it got 345/30/19 michelin pilot sport tires needs replacing. best upgrade??

- also for a water leak on the passenger side floor. i know its a convertible and they all leak lol

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
There's not a lot you can do on the door panel issue. The previous owner of my car had just put some black silicone on the edge of the plastic trim piece to "glue" it down and to give a cleaner seam. It's worked well enough for me.

That kit is the standard fix for the power steering setup. It comes with conversion fittings to use AN style hose that replaces the factory fittings in the pump and fan. Are you saying they already changed to AN style fittings on the fan side but not the pump side? That would require custom hoses as far as I'm aware.

As for the dash pad, there's nothing you can really do shy of removing the whole dash to address it. I had mine out to work on the HVAC box and tried to glue it back down, but it's already started pulling up again. Probably needed better glue than what I used, but it's what I had on hand. I'm thinking about trying to find some plastic trim that will "clip" it down the next time I have the dash out. Basically a piece of channel that would pinch the pad to the dash, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

Rubbing noise could very well be the fender liner. Do you know if the car has modified suspension? If it's lowered at all that might be what's going on. The liner can also sag a bit with time/missing hardware, so you might check and make sure all the screws are there. My car has a bad habit of spitting out a few.

Not sure on the water leak. My car has been pretty well sealed despite being a convertible, lol. You might take it to a hand car wash or if you have a pressure washer have someone sit inside while you hose it down to see if you can see anything. The windows auto drop a little when you get in the car and then raise back up to seat into the weather stripping. Sometimes they don't always go back up when you close the door, so you could have a bit of an opening.

OP
OP
R

RI-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i just order the power steering upgrade kit. no the previous owner replace the fittings at the fan assembly. looks like i have to remove the power steering pulley to get at the line?

i think i found the rubbing noise found the right muffler tip hitting the round plate are the muffler tip. found out that the muffler hanger near the rear is adjustable when 2 bolts. still haven't drove it tho.

the car looks lower but idk its got black springs with like a blue struts is this stock? its many be the carbon fiber lip it around the car

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
You don't have to take the pulley off, but it does make it easier. I guess with factory lines it might be more necessary. I forget since I've had the conversion fitting on for a while now and I can take it off with a socket because I can remove the hose first. The reservoir is almost the bigger issue since there isn't a lot of clearance around the wrench flats on the fitting with it installed.

Sounds like the factory shocks and springs from what I recall. I suppose it might have lowering caps on them, but hard to say. You can look at the liner the next time you have the wheels off to see if you can see any rubbing. The liner itself could be sagging. I know I've got mark in mine from some past experiences, but I haven't heard it hit in a long time since.

OP
OP
R

RI-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i should be receive the lines today i already remove the OEM lines and i had to remove the pulley. to fit a 25mm wrench in there.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
The wet passenger floor might be related to HVAC system.. plugged drain.

Quote from a forum:

"I had the same issue on my '06. There's a AC drain hose that runs underneath the dash on the passenger side and exits via the transmission tunnel. The grommet must have disconnected and now the hose is draining into the passenger floorboard. Take a look."

Last edited:

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Ah, I actually had that same issue on a recent road trip. I had forgot about it. I think either I knocked it loose while vacuuming or my fiance might have kicked it. The floor was completely soaked over the course of a few hour road trip.

OP
OP
R

RI-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
damn i just had the whole carpets out and seats!! but i didnt see any drain hose. anyone have any pics?

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
At least that's a fairly easy fix in a way. Worst case you could probably just put a piece of tape on it to keep it in place. Better than a leaking top or window.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper