Fine... I'll get things started.

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Matt, didn't I hear somthing about no more autocross events at Castle a few months ago?

There was talk about losing it as a venue for this year, but I guess Jesus and Joel were able to work something out with them.

02 Graphite GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Nor Cal members.
My wife and I made the drive up to Monterey last year to attend your awesome Christmas Party at the Aquarium. We had a great time and enjoyed your hospitality.

A short time after our trip, I came up with an idea to coordinate a SoCal, NorCal, and CentralCal autocross competition. The "idea" was very well received by the respective Club Administrators so I went to work trying to locate an appropriate venue that was centrally located to all 3 Clubs. I focused mainly in the San Luis Obispo / central coast areas. It does not appear that there are any reasonable venues in this area for the Autocross. We were attempting to do this event the last weekend in October. Since we were not able to locate an Autocross venue....we decided to do a 3 club Hearst Castle cruise instead. Hopefully you guys have received info regarding this event and will be able to attend. Last I heard, there was close to 40 signed up already.

Current plans are to push the 3 club Autocross out to the 2008 calendar.
I know that the SoCal members would love to have a "friendly" competition amongst the California regions. It has the makings for a great annual event.

I agree with everything that Fred has said in previous posts. It is DIFFICULT to find an appropriate venue...and even more difficult to find a venue that is central to all 3 regions. I sat down with Terri Angen at ViperDays and understand the "challenges" from an Admin. perspective. Coordinating such an event is a huge task and we, the members, SHOULD step up and do some of the event planning.
I have already "volunteered" to do the planning from the SoCal end. I have emailed and proposed the idea to the NorCal Admin.. While they like the concept...it is a ton of work that they should not have to take on at this point.
Is there anyone up there that would be willing to step up and help coordinate this with me?

Lance Kouchi
SoCal Viper Club Member

Reaction score
Hi Lance,

A Ca+(open to VCA member, NV AZ OR WA, etc ) event sounds good. From my view a weekend event seems the most reasonable due to the travel that will be necessary for many.

The Central Valley seems most desirable for the Nor. Cal Regions. An old air base / airport would be ideal. If we do the event on our own(No SCCA etc.) we will need cones to mark the course. Timing equipment is covered. Next we need a group to plan and run the event. track layout will be an important component of the event. The SCCA guys have a couple members who are experienced and after they layout the course they drive it to access safety(corner worker safety major concern) and general drive ability. Will also need communication devices for all workers.

It seems like a slam dunk to those who have never run an event but a long way from that. And we would need track insurance.

Perhaps someone from the Central Region could help locate a suitable space?