First Passes @ Track, Vids + Photos

Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:2tu:

Hello everyone. I haven’t posted much on this forum, but have been lurking for some time. I purchased a bone stock Silver 98 Viper GTS just about 1 year ago, and finally decided to take it to the track last night. Since owning it, I have installed the B&B (Billy Boat) 3” header back exhaust system, and got rid of the factory pilot sport junk tires. The car still has the stock manifolds on it. The car just hit 11,600 miles last night as well.

I’d like to start off by saying this was the first time I’ve tracked this car. In the past I did track my C5 Zo6 as well as my Cobalt SS/SC.

Outside air temps were roughly 80 degrees.

First Pass:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9adLkyhZjQA[/media]

Time slip: 12.0 @ 120.98mph 1.93 60’

Second Pass:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuA7MFHnox4[/media]

Time slip: 12.4 @ 94mph 1.86 60’
I missed 4th gear and coasted through the traps.

Third Pass:
Time slip: 12.15 @ 115mph 1.82 60’

The first 3 passes were done with only about 10-15 min in between runs.
After the 3rd pass I let the car sit and cool down for 1 ½ hours.

4th Pass:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS3_hdEAIYE[/media]

Time slip: 11.88 @ 117.86mph 1.74 60’

5th Pass:
Time slip: 11.88 @ 119.96mph 1.80 60’

Overall I am very pleased with this car, for it only having a basic exhaust system on it.
I plan on going back later on in the season when the air temps come down. I’d like to see an 11.6 out of the car. In case anyone was wondering, nothing special was done to the car before the runs. I pulled up to the track, lowered the tire pressure to 22lbs and let her rip.

Now, some photos:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

red01GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice. Quick for a basically stock car. I am looking forward to tracking my 01 GTS when the weather cools.

viper k

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1996 gts 355 gears b&b exhaust 11.60 @122 mph i smoke my friends 08 corvette he went 12.28 @118

OP
OP
C

Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nice runs
perfect launch
what rpm did you launch at?
tires?

I have the Hoosier 335/35R-17 drag radials on the car. They are my street tires. I don't own slicks. I'm really happy with these tires. I have about 2500 miles on them, 3 auto-x events, and 5 passes on them. They still have quite about of tread left.

My advice on launching the car is this. I did a small burn out before each pass to warm the tires up. Then I did a little "dry hop" to ensure there was no water on the tires. I tried different rpms through out the night. My best launch was at 3500 rpm. Since the car is still on a street tire, and not a slick, you cannot just drop the clutch. That would result in the car bogging or the tires blitzing. I get the car staged, bring up the rpms.. and when I'm ready to launch I slowly release the clutch. Once I feel the front end start to nose up, basicly preloading the drivetrain, I release the clutch (dont just slip off the pedal *dumping*) and mash the gas to the floor at the same time. It's a rather smooth engagement. Doesnt cause any wheel hop.

:)

Red Shift

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome times for a bolt on car!

I have managed a 1.77 60' with 4 year old PS1s. Normal pressure (low 30s cold), heated them and more or less dropped it from 3.5k.