First SRT track day - kind of a mixed bag (but still a blast)

Gforce

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Had my first open track day in the SRT. I'd give the driver a C, the car a B+ and the run flats a D grade.

I was about 5 seconds off my best time in the GTS for a number of reasons - not the least of which is that this was my first time out for the year (as well as my first time in an SRT). Lots of room for improvement. I did not notice any problems with the LSD which was good because based on other posts, thats mostly where I thought there would be challenges.

I mostly never got the car to its limits based on the fact that mine were lower. I did have a debatably late pass that put me offline for turn 1 and I ended up doing a 360 but I chalk that up more to driver than car.

Have to say that I love the brakes. First time I clamped down hard, I was virtually parking in my previus braking zone. On the other hand, there was so much left to right motion under hard braking that it kind of scared me. Checked tire pressures afterwards and they seemed OK.

At first, I noticed a fair amount of body roll but each session I cranked the Motons tighter and each one felt better - until the last one which was too hard. I ended up settling for the 6th setting and it seemed great.

One problem is that I do not know how "too much" or "too little" rebound affects the car so I left them where they were from the factory ( I guess one random setting is as good as another :) ). If any of you have experience with what happens when adjusting the rebound (e.g. how it affects the car), I'd love to hear thoughts.

The tires were a disappointment but not a surprise. Thanks to other previous posts I was mostly prepared. For the most part they seemed rather hard and slippery and towards the end of the session, they were pretty sloppy.

The brakes on the other hand (darting aside) were excellent. I had the stock pads with Motul brake fluid and for the most part, did not get any fade. Maybe a bit towards the end of the day but my brain and body were fading too so can't be very critical here :) . I am wondering how much benefit I'd get from moving to a race pad. Any thoughts?

Anyhow, it was a great time. I ran a couple sessions with the top up and a couple of sessions with the top down. I couldn't tell much difference but I buy into Kai's thinking on the top can keep body parts inside the car in difficult situations.

Once I figure out how to mount my camera in the SRT, I'll share some footage. Rose City Corvette day is August 15th and I hope to have my new wheels and tires.

My best hope is that the new tires may solve at least part of the darting back and forth. Ken Klickman (at Timberline Dodge) and Rob Logsdon both thought there was a reasonable chance that the run flats were part of the problem so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

cheers -

j

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your times should improve considerably with time. For tracks that I know the SRT is worth about 4-5 seconds over the Gen II. Braking is a big part of that, though it is difficult to get used to the side to side movement.

My stock brake pads do start to go away when getting very aggressive. The tires seemed okay as long as they did not get too hot. Late in the day they got slippery.

I have also done a few of those 360's. I of course blamed it on the differential because the driver could not err. But kidding aside it did seem like the lock up transition when the inside tire started to spin was odd. You first note the slipping inside tire and then wham the outside lets loose and around she comes. Never had the same feeling with the Gen I/II diff.

OP
OP
G

Gforce

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Ron.

Problem I have is that my genII was fairly well set up and on the order of 4-5 seconds a lap faster than when it was stock. Worse than that, I sold it to a friend who will have it back down here to run against me on the 15th.

Did you ever get the side to side thing fixed? Any ideas what really causes it?

j

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper SRT ???????? 4-5 seconds a lap where did that info. come from there is NO way brakes make up that gap.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At Gingerman by PVO before the SRT was launched. Guess that was before you joined though so I can see why you were unaware. I think they had similar results at mid-Ohio. It is not allk braking. I said braking was a big part of it but the SRT can carry more speed through the corners as wel. And it can out accelerate the Gen II coming out of the corner. There is no aspect on the track where the SRT is slower than the Gen II. Even on an autocross track. Same story with slower speeds.

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
on paper I would agree that the SRT should be faster (5 seconds no way) faster yes but from real world I just haven't seen it .I would love to try both on the same track and see.By the way my stock ACR does 1:01s at Lime Rock with a passenger there is no way a stock SRT could do 56 seconds.

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran mine absolutely 100% stock, down to the paper air filters, at VIR Viper Days. An Autoform hard top was installed per Viper Days rules.

I matched my '00 cream puff ACR times (ACR has track alignment, Stop Techs, wing, splitter, headers, alum flywheel, K&Ns, T&D rockers, Fluidyne radiator, 3.54 gear, safety equipment). I drove both cars the same day. 5 runs on the SRT and 3 on the ACR. 13 SRT sessions over the three days, total. Nothing broke on either car.

Both cars have stock Michelins. I learned throughout the first day that the SRT tires felt best with a hot pressure of 40 PSI. The Pilots on the ACR felt best at 42 hot.

The SRT brakes are just flat better than the Stop Techs on the ACR. Dramatically so, in my opinion. Period.

The SRT gets some a$$ wiggle at speeds above 140. The ACR is absolutely stable (down force helps). Transition through esses is easier in the ACR, thanks to track alignment.

I feel I matched the times because of two factors:

-More speed on straights (SRT would do 160 where ACR did 145 - 148, for example. SRT never higher than 4th gear; ACR in fifth on both straights)

-Brakes!!!!

The cars make identical rear wheel HP and Torque: 444 HP/474 Torque

What did I learn? The ACR needs heads and a cam! SRT brakes would be a nice addition, too...

It was a very educational and FUN comparison!

OP
OP
G

Gforce

Viper Owner
Reaction score
George -

Great data. This gives me hope that I won't be beat by my GTS.

The GTS was set up real similar to upir ACR (T&D roller rockers, [******] exhaust, high flow cats, anti-toe brackets, removed brake proportional valve, braided lines, 3.55 gears and brake ducts).

The SRT has Motons (still dialing them in), oil pan, lightweight flywheel, roll bar (on order) and 3.55 gears.

Drivers are about equal so it will be interesting to see how I do.

Just got my forgeline's in and I'll be running with Michelin slicks.

Also, Irid helped me think through the rebound settings so I think once I tighten those up, I should have a fairly competitive track machine.

In case you guys are interested, I'll let you know how things go on the 15th. Just hoping my friend with the Z06 can't get enough miles on it in time since I'd also hate to get beat by a Z06 and I am not certain my SRT and I are ready for that.

cheers -

j

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You won't have any trouble spanking that Z06, unless your bud's driving skills are in excess of yours. The Z06 guys also get distracted adjusting their power seat memory and their gold chains ;-)

OP
OP
G

Gforce

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jeez George - have enough cars in the stable or what?

Anyhow, truth is I am more worried about James in my old 1999 GTS because James is a great driver with 10 years track experience and I sold him a sweet ride already set up.

Obviously I'd rather be beat by James in a viper (if I have to lose to one of them) but my first preference would be to spank both their tails :)

I'll let you know how it goes. I adjusted the rebound last weekend and I notice a serious on-street difference. Should translate to some better track times.

Also, my new wheels came in and I get the new tires this weekend. My guess is that with proper rebound, lighter wheels and michelin slicks I should pick up a fiar notch.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
booth