First time 1/4 mile track experience

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I finally did it, and went to the drags with the SoCal VCA. (The ever gracious Hugh and Sherry Hoard hosting)

It was a hot day! Sun was beating down pretty hard. The track was VERY greasy, and slicker than snot on a door knob. Arrived at the suggested 12 PM, waited in the line for registration. There are 500 cars there, lots of Accords, Civics, some Camaros, a few trucks, and even a few SUVs. Awesome! About twenty Vipers from the SoCal VCA showed, including several on Hoosiers, and a few blown ones, too. We stand around looking at each other, shooting the breeze.

After an hour and a half, we are told to park in lot 2. So we move over to lot 2. About 2:30, we get teched. I realize I forgot my helmet! Lance was kind enough to lend me his. Then we wait until the 4pm start, but its not our run group yet. After an hour or so, our group goes. This is probably typical for the drag strip, but its my first time, and it seemed very slow!

I had heard many different techniques for launching the car with street tires. Some people told me to let it bog off the line, just 1200-1400 RPMs. Others said to launch at a higher rpm.

When its my turn to go, I'm real nervous for NO good reason, because I didn't know what to expect. We are herded into the staging area, and you can see billows of blue smoke, as cars ahead are doing their burn-outs. You can hear the stacatto blast of some of the higher horsepower machines, as they thunder down the track. As we inch forward, it becomes clear that I am getting staged next Hugh Hoard, who has a blown Viper, with about a zillion horsepower.

I go around the water pit, (trying to follow more advice), but I get one tire wet, because the water is all over the place. I skip the burnout, because I heard it somewhere. Funny how we collect tid-bits of advice that ultimately don't help us! Or at least not today.

Its our turn to go! I pull up to the staging lights, 1st set, inch forward, 2nd set, good, I'm ready to go. Hugh pulls up in the left lane, and his car is making this deafening roar, like I'm staging against a jet plane! I can't hear my engine rev, and instead of looking at the tach, I step on the gas, so I can hear if its running! What a dumb move that was, because now its revving way higher than need be, and I look down, and see its hovering at 3000 RPM! When I look back up, I'm staring at this strange green light. Oh! That means GO!

Drop the clutch, spun all the way through first gear. I'm doing really great, I think to myself, the crowd wants to see my spin my tires! Hugh is half way down the track, as I shift into 2nd, and continue to spin.

When its all over, I got a 13.51 @113.2 mph! Yeech! Well, its my first time at the drags, and the track is slick, I say to make myself feel better. Lots of the other Vipers were also in the mid to low 13s, and everyone agreed the track was very slippery.

Next run follows in about 2 hours, give or take an hour. Who's counting?

Next time up, I still miss the light, but I don't spin as much, only holding the revs at 2000 or so. I was going to launch at like 1200 RPM, but I got excited, and when the light turned green, I mashed the pedal to the floor and dumped the clutch. Spin, spin, spin. Somethings wrong with my launch technique! But I was still doing better than the guy next to me, until I went from 2nd gear to 5th gear. (Who needs 3rd or 4th, anyhow?) So he caught me at the end of the track, and beat me by a few hundredths. Time was 13.34 @ 107.88 mph, still not good, but at least its coming down.

By this time, it was cooling off. 3rd run came up quick! Said Q. of Star Tech Viper advised me to let it bog off the line, and just use the torque to pull out of the hole, and don't spin the tires.

This last run, I use the water box, do a big as burnout as I can muster, to try to heat up the tires.

We stage, and I just let myself cool down, relax, and told myself not to let the excitement get the best of me, don't forget to launch easy, at low revs. So we stage, got a better reaction time, but we didn't get so "jiggy" with the gas pedal! Car hooked up much better, and just scooted forward, no muss no fuss. Didn't miss third this time, and came home with a 12.876 @ 110.87 mph. Looking at the time slips, most of the Vipers went from the mid to low 13s, into the 12s, by their third run. So my results were pretty typical of the other drivers. Some guys were in the low 12s, but they may have been running Hoosiers, or maybe they were supercharged. I dunno.

I know this 12.87 time of mine ain't great for a basically stock Viper, but it was a really hot day, and it was my first time. At least I improved consistently! I learned a lot about how to launch the car, and not get too excited. Next time, we'll be better prepared! Next time, I'll experiment with the possibility of not going into fourth gear, and letting it bang on the rev limiter across the traps?

Thanks to the organizers, for a very pleasant and fun day, after all was said and done. VCA rocks!

gozer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vic,

Glad to see you got into the 12s. I told you its best to use 3rd after 2nd :)

Did you get a chance see who won the trophies (other than Mr. Twin Supercharger [Hugh])?

Just so everyone knows, I beat the 2002 Z06 I lined up against on my second run. Actually, he is my business partner and was my guest at the event.

I ran a 12.921/114.77mph and he ran a 13.344/107.29mph. My best run was my first at 12.785/113.02mph. I was hoping for better but at lease I didnt loose to the vette! Both cars are stock except for K&Ns.

Thanks to all in the So Cal Viper Club for another great event.

Ken

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you did great and, LOL, your experience sounds just like my first time at V10 nats, LOL. helll i even left the damnn car in reverse when i backed up to do a burnout and when i proceded to do so, umm yeah went beackwards, LOL. i must say though, midway through my second time at a track i felt no anxiety or nervousness at all. now i go every wednesday and sometimes fridays, its an addiction. Oh, and then theres roadcourse...

OP
OP
Vic

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! rdustman, we saw one guy, who after staging, also went backwards, but with a great reaction time! :eek:

Gozer, you did great! You won a trophy!

I'll be keeping it safe for you! ;)

MHQC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
great story Vic! I did exactly what you did 2 weekends ago. 2 runs in the 13's and the last one was about 12,7. It was my first time too. Got tons of pm's on how to launch etc...I've already picked up alot of tips. Hope to get next weekend.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was your first time, but I bet it won't be your last.

Nice post. :D

OP
OP
Vic

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys....

Marv, I don't know what Hugh's best time was. He was having hook up issues with the slippery track, and I only saw one time of 11.2, but that might not have been his best of the night. His beast is a ten second car, easy.

Warren S

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Given the conditions out there; the heat, breezy headwind, the sunlight glare down the track, big crowds, and the long wait to stage, you did great Vic! I say you're consistently improving, getting comfortable, and gaining confidence.
;)

Group heading out to stage...
You must be registered for see images

Green means go!

--Warren.

OP
OP
Vic

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Warren! Nice to see you out there, and meet your lovely um, girlfriend? (you devil, you!) :D

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was a great and fun write-up, Vic. Certainly gives one who has never experienced such a thing a good idea as to what it's really like for a first time. Nice to hear it was a good experience for you. Will you do it again? I don't know if I'd ever try that. The 1/4 mile race does not sound as fun to me as tracking a Viper - zipping around a track, ya know? Of course, since I don't have a Viper yet, just driving one around may change my mind entirely. I guess it's really hard to say this early on. Anyway, I enjoyed hearing about your experience. Thanks for taking the time to share it.

OP
OP
Vic

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Daffy. I've been to a few track events, too. Lots of fun, but so addicting, once you go to the track, you might never go back! ;)

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just ran for the first time yeasterday as well.
My first run was 13.0@111MPH, and my best one was 12.46@119MPH.

It's easy to tell that this takes a LOT of practice to get it down, but it was great fun trying.

Apparently, we can't link anymore to other internal VCA posts, but I've got the details of my runs in the performance/dyno section if anyone is interested.

Good going Vic! We will definitely both improve our times with some practice, but we got out there and ran, and had fun. And that's what really counts after all. :laugh:

-Dean.

OP
OP
Vic

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Great first time, Dean! At 12.46, you're pretty close to the best case numbers for a Gen2. And 119mph, too! Mmmm!

_Niz_

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats to all you guys. I took a lot of pics and video of yesterdays event. I will be posting them soon in the image gallery once I get them downsized.
I only regret not having a hardtop so I could have participated and enjoyed the addrenaline as well. Maybe next time!

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who cares what you ran - as long as you had fun! :) The times will come down with more experience... but having fun is always the #1 priority.

Sometimes the track just ***** and there's nothing you can do about it - seems the case here. In those situations, it's best to just launch easy and see what sort of MPH you get. I've seen stock cars very well driving running bests of 116-117mph due to heat. On a cool day, you can pick up 3-4mph easy.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dean did really well for his first time out -- a bit more practice on the launch and I think he'll be in the solid low 12s. Some drag radials, and high 11s are in easy reach :)

The addiction begins!

Warren S

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks, Warren! Nice to see you out there, and meet your lovely um, girlfriend? (you devil, you!) :D

That's my wife! :D
I'm very blessed and happy that she enjoys the track events and car shows. Glad to hear you had some fun out there.

--Warren.

OP
OP
Vic

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Warren, you are lucky, I can see you are blessed! You gonna try the drags next time?

Warren S

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Vic, I just may give it a shot the next time. It's been some ten years the last time I drag raced at the track and I may be somewhat rusty, but I know it's a lot of fun. Good to hear everyone had a good time and no broken parts.

Liz (ooops! correction, Niz), nice pics on the image gallery! Beautiful Rottweilers too, Woof! Thanks for posting.
:laugh:

--Warren.

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dean, where did you go? Sacto? I am itching to get out and try the 1/4 for the first time!!

Did you do a burnout, or avoid the water? I don't have a line loc, and I suspect I would have some
trouble keeping the car still while spinning....

Tomer

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tomer,

I've never done the full water box-burnout thing yet because I don't have line loc, and because I had read that there is not a real benefit for street tires.

My last couple runs I did goose the gas to spin the tires briefly to try and clean them, but going around the water box does put you at an angle towards the middle barrier, and with a car staging at the line it is a bit awkward to straighten out the car well, but it seemed to work fine for a little short tire spin.

Ben,

July 5th would be great. Hopefully I'll have my mods done by then and be able to go up for some more runs. :laugh:

-Dean.

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll start trying to get clearance from the tower for July 5th...As long as I don't have to line
up against Ben or Dean :shocked:

Is this an all day affair, afternoon, etc? Need to know how much time to plan.

thx
Tomer

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's $35 for car/driver, and the track is open from 5-11PM this July 5th.
Usually you get there an hour early or so to go through tech and get in line to run.
With the drive up to Sacramento, it chews up a whole afternoon and evening pretty much.
But it's a LOT of fun. :laugh:

-Dean.

OP
OP
Vic

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Thats our favorite place!

California Speedway, in Fon-tucky.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats our favorite place!

California Speedway, in Fon-tucky.

I never dragged at Cali Speedway, just road raced. The wet box will lose time on street tires, just do a dry burnout to clean em'. Reduce rear pressure to 22 psi. rev to 1,500 and dump the clutch, when you bog floor it, this got me 1.815 60' time and 12.04 ET and 120 mph trap.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4