first time at a race track

axe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just signed up for TracQuest's Driver Education at Thunderhill this coming weekend.
http://www.tracquest.com

Any suggestions/recommendations for a first time at the track? What tire pressures should I be running? Can't wait!

Thanks!

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll let someone with more Viper roadcourse experience talk about setup. Let's talk about you for a second
smile.gif
T-hill is a wonderful, safe course for learning. If you don't have any previous roadcourse experience, you'll have an absolute blast provided you follow a few simple guidelines:

a) You won't be the fastest car out there, so stop worrying about it. 10 track days from now you'll look back at this one and think "woah, I was such a novice back then!". Go to the track with the intent to learn, not to compete or to prove anything.
b) Drive at 90% of what you think you're capable of. You need to leave some reserve to (1) deal with surprises and, equally important, (2) leave some excess attention to monitor what you're doing and what effect it has on the car.
c) Concentrate on consistency and smoothness. Forget about speed -- go slowly enough that you can be consistent lap-to-lap and you stay mentally far enough ahead of the car to be smooth. Do this, and speed will come very quickly.
d) Look where you want to be 2 seconds from now. The most common newbie mistake is not looking far enough ahead. This leads to the next most common newbie mistake -- target fixating on the something you didn't notice earlier because you weren't looking far enough ahead, and then running into it
crying.gif

... and so on. I could write a book on this topic (and many others have) but for your first time on the track I'd just concentrate on "consistent, smooth, look ahead, monitor." When you find yourself going so fast that it's all you can do to keep up with the track, slow down -- you're no longer learning, and you're dramatically increasing your chances of bending your Viper.

Good luck -- and let us know how it goes!

PMUM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear Big Jim Kung Foo Master,

I would hereby like to apologize for laying any smack in your direction, the direction of any of your "tuners", friends, or family. I was wrong and it will never happen again. Thank you.
**PS-you're not friends with Serious Eric are you?

Gerald, Classic!!!!!!!!!!

WAR BIG JIM!!!!!!!!!

Brad Manhattan Beach

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Get as many rides with Stephen as possible!

Have fun, because the first thing that you'll learn is how little you actually know about track driving. Be patient, be safe and have fun.

Finally, try to use your big brain more than you use the little one (below your waist). Tracquest does a good job with their schools.

Brad

Stephen Yap

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Axe,
I will be at Thunderhill too. I don't know of any other Vipers coming but I will be there with a blue/white 97 GTS. I've driven Thill a number of times with the Michelins in both dry and wet conditions, but only a couple of times with Hoosiers. It is a fun track and you will enjoy it. Hate the hot weather though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave