First Time at the Dragstrip

Dash Riprock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to the dragstrip for the first time ever last night to see what the snake would do. The outside temp was in the upper 90's and me being a novice, I didn't expect too much. I was surprised at how many cars showed up. There were probably 50 cars and 50 motorcycles, everything from mini dragsters to full blown drag bikes. There had to be at least 300 people in the stands. Needless to say I was a little nervous making my first run. The times are as follows

r/t=.602
60= 2.344
1/8= 8.832 @ 86.40
1/4= 13.278 @ 110.79

I know that really ***** so here come the excuses. The track prep was nonexistent. I launched aroun 3k rpm and spun like crazy. I was pedaling the whole time trying to hook up. Also the nerves played a part. I didn't want to stall in front of the crowd. The next run was a little better.

r/t= .286
60= 2.208
1/8= 8.510 @ 89.26
1/4= 12.825 @ 113.67

On this run, I raced a friends 98 gts with a 200 shot of nitrous and slicks. He shut it down and coasted through the traps at 11.38, so as not to embarrass me. His best time of the night was a 10.6. My last run was a little better than the second.

r/t= .615
60= 2.049
1/8= 8.305 @ 88.79
1/4= 12.652 @ 111.12

On the last pass a guy in an infiniti g35 was dying to race. He stayed with me through the whole staging process. He got the jump on me with the auto trans. His r/t was .077 but by the 60' I was ahead by .3 and smoked him by over 2 seconds. I thought he might have had someting special in the car by the way he made sure we raced.

I will go out a few more time over the next couple of months and work on my launches and try to get the 60' time down under 2.0. The question I have, is why do I have a better et on my last pass with slower mph over the second pass. I am guessing it is the 60' that plays a big part in this. Any experienced drag racers feel free to give some tips or comments. :2tu: :headbang:

Dash
2004 SRT10

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not bad times, a bit of practise and you could trim them a bit more, was that on the standard tyres???

OP
OP
D

Dash Riprock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul, I was on the stock tires. I tried to launch at different rpm's, but spun every time. I even had some spinning going from 1st to 2nd.

John, what kind of movie clip. The one I want to see involves two or three hot girls and a viper. Email to me at [email protected] and I'll get it. Thanks.

Dash
2004 SRT10

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, good to see your improvement!
I got nervous when I saw your first time. :p

It just goes to show, practice make alot of difference. You'll be knockin' on 11s door soon enough! :2tu:

OP
OP
D

Dash Riprock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Casey. I was a little disappointed when I picked up the first time slip. Too much adrenaline flowing on the first run. The next two I was able to settle down a little and pay more attention to everything. FikseGTS, I was shifting around 5200 rpm. I think your right about taking it a little higher. Will try next time. Thanks for the link.

Dash
2004 SRT10

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bring those Revs up, keep your foot nailed to the floor!

Of course, that's after you get out of the box! :D

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always think the launch is the hardest part I tend to launch at low revs 3,000 and then when she is moving hit it.

But that was in the old GTS drag strips are not that common in the UK plus the weather so have yet to run the SRT thats why I was interested in the times.

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you guys rev it upto 3000 rpm and drop the clutch?? I tried doing this once and my car was sliding all over the place and not going forward at all! Today was drag days at mission but I didn't end up going since I don't want to embarass myself infront of a [******] load of people because I can't get the hang of launching this car properly! I can launch the vette really well but not the viper :( . Times aren't too bad I guess!

OP
OP
D

Dash Riprock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My first launch was at 3k rpm's and I spun like crazy. The other two were at 2500 or so and they were better, but still had a lot of spin. I am going to go out on a cool tuesday night after a big event in hopes the track will be a little better prepped. I am going to practice my launch and keep the hammer down as other's have said. I just watched a video of John's run in his black beast. The run was great and the car sounded fantastic. Thanks for the comments.

Dash
2004 SRT10

OP
OP
D

Dash Riprock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ricky, I know what you mean about not wanting to embarass yourself. You have to start somewhere, though. There were a bunch of people at the track last night. The track has test-n-tune every tues and thurs night, so i'll get a lot more chances to improve. The first run, I definitely just dropped the clutch. The other two, i tried to feather it some, but with trying to concentrate on everything else, I probably didn't do much feathering.

Dash

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the funny thing is last time I tried to practice doing that on the street I got pulled over and didn't bother trying again :eek: About the track the only one here is about an hour away and I have to have a helmet and all this other crap. On top of that they have events to race like once a month or something :( *****!!!

OP
OP
D

Dash Riprock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess we are lucky here. Comp Cams sponsors test-n-tune, so unless there is an event they run from April to November. They have a high performance drivers clinic for the road course in September or October. I am going to give it a shot. The course is not real good, but it is close.

Dash
2004 SRT10

Viperchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dash-

Glad to see you're having fun as well. My first was last weekend. I actually took runner up at the V10 Nats with a time of 12.1 at 125mph. Track was VERY bad....spinning the whole time. I found that launching the car is BAD. The best thing to do is roll out a little....I never launched over 1500-2K or so. Had the rears at about 25psi which seems to work ok. How about shifting??? I made the mistake of running to redline. Bad idea....******* the clutch too. Had my best run shifting around 5K...keeps within the torque curve....I'm installing a shift light and differnt short throw next week. I accidentally went from 2nd to reverse on the final run!!!! Thank God the clutch was still in...... Best of luck...keep working on those times!!!

Chad

OP
OP
D

Dash Riprock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is a great run! Congrats on the runner up finish. I was shifting around 5000 or 5200. I am going to experiment with that a little. Next time we are going to take an air compressor with us so we can vary the tire pressure and see what kind of difference that makes. I don't think there is any way to get a good grip with the runflats. I wish somebody would come out with some different tires. As far as shifting goes, I was worried about going from 2nd to 1st. I didn't think 2nd to reverse was possible. That would be scary. Thanks for the tips.

Dash
2004 SRT10

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is a great run! Congrats on the runner up finish. I was shifting around 5000 or 5200. I am going to experiment with that a little. Next time we are going to take an air compressor with us so we can vary the tire pressure and see what kind of difference that makes. I don't think there is any way to get a good grip with the runflats. I wish somebody would come out with some different tires. As far as shifting goes, I was worried about going from 2nd to 1st. I didn't think 2nd to reverse was possible. That would be scary. Thanks for the tips.

Dash
2004 SRT10

The SRT wants to be shifted as high as you can without hitting the rev limiter. That is probably why your mph was low.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Dash,

Very hot to drag a Viper. I'd wait for a cooler day / night.

Times are good for your first time out.

Your 60' times are lousy, like mine - and probably most of us with 3.07's on street tires. Drag radials or Kumhos will help a bunch with traction.

Mph is lower than it should be, probably a result of your short shifting.

I'd suggest just shifting at the shift light and see how that works.

Launching these cars is a b_tch. Trial an error / track prep / temp / humidity / elevation, etc all figure in.

If you try to slip the clutch too many times, you'll fry it - I have.

3.55 gears will make lauching easier.

Keep practicing.

Dan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960