first VIPER ticket... reckless driving from speeding in VA... advice?? :(

PaulH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,
I was on my way from PA to VIR for the Viperdays event, when I got pulled over going 84mph in a 60mph zone. In VA, anything over 20mph over the speed limit OR anything over 80mph is considered reckless driving. Usually, I think you're not allowed to prepay and you have to appear in court. The officer checked off a box which allows me to prepay and NOT appear in court. Is this still a full reckless driving charge? Can my license be suspended or anything?
and bottom line... Should I hire a lawyer??
Thanks for any help....
Paul. :(

Fiorano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like that do did not get charged with a reckless charge, rather a speeding 20 mph over. I had the same thing 2 years ago, 53 in a 30. I think it is the officer's discretion if he/she wants to write you for reckless or not. Just pay the fine and move on. I went to court to try to reduce it w/o a lawyer and wasted my morning.

1MEANSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prince Frederick Maryland, On the Chesapeake Bay
Re: first VIPER ticket... reckless driving from speeding in VA... advice??

I got the same ticket, same speed in the same zone, i didn't goto court even though it stated i had to and i called the court after receiving the court date notice and pre-paid the fine they told me. It did however show on my driving record being a connecting state. My insurance did not go up since i hadn't had a ticket in a while and will be off my record in a little over a year. Good luck!

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

get a lawyer. if your record is clean...you should get off on defective equipment. I got arrested for my BS charge...you got lucky I guess.

OP
OP
P

PaulH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

it sounds like JUST a speeding ticket to me too, EXCEPT for the fact that it says "reckless driving/speeding" on the ticket! any chance it's still JUST speeding?!?

otherwise, my record is clean... anyone know of any lawyers in the Charlotte county area?
thanks!!
Paul.

DrDJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think that you are SOL. Only the judge in the traffic court can reduce the charge, to, say 79 in a 60 zone and knock off the reckless driving portion. If you hire an attorney (probably at least $500.00), his or her job would be to get you in front of the most lenient judge there (assuming that you can get a different judge by delaying your court date) and hope for the best.

illegalspeeds

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I was in the same situation last time I lived in Virginia, I got caught doing 84 in a 55 (I-264 in Virginia Beach). I hired a lawyer for about $700 and got the ticket reduced from reckless drving by speed to careless operation. It was way more than the ticket would have cost, but it didn't affect my insurance or my security clearance, which is what I was most worried about.
Matt

nfelmlee

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I had a ticket for 30+ over the limit in NJ. Lawyer got it reduced to a big fine and a "zero point" offense. I'd advise that you hire a lawyer to handle it for you.

-nick

OP
OP
P

PaulH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i live in PA, and the law here is that...

"although reported to PennDOT, minor traffic offenses such as speeding, red light, stop sign, etc., will NOT appear on your driving record. Points will not be assessed to your PA driving record when convicted of a point related offense in a DLC member state."

This comes directly from the PA Dept of Traffic website:

http://www.dot10.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/fs-dlc.pdf

This is good news for PA residents who get speeding tickets in outside states.... i wonder if this will count as speeding or reckless driving, though? :(

virginia law *****!!

anyone know any good lawyers?

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I concur the above. Here's my story....

I live in PA, and placed a direct call to the DMV several months ago to get an explanation. I've been nabbed a few times on my way to Mid-Ohio. Here is what they told me.....

"A speeding/moving violation in another state has NO bearing on your Pennsylvania license. No points are accessed". I then said, "You're telling me I can get 15 speeding tickets in Ohio, and it has no effect on my PA license?" The answer was, "You are correct."

I would advise calling the PA DMV as well (be prepared to be on hold for 15 minutes), just to confirm. But that is what they told me, and I never recieved points for out of state violations. I'm sure there are exceptions, DUI etc...

If it is worth your time, I'm sure you could appear in court and get the charge reduced (possibly a lower fine). Although, I doubt it will be worth the time/travel. And I highly doubt you will be found innocent, especially at 24 mph over. Usually the higher speeds they play hardball.

JGarrett

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Years ago I got tapped in VA for the same thing 54 in a 30. I was actually innocent! Only doing 29. I was a young guy in a Porsche Turbo... I'm sure most cops are great but not that one. At that time and maybe still; the penalty was up to a $1000 fine and up to a year in jail!. RD is looked at as a serious offence by your insurance, you'll pay more in premiums than the fine. Pay to get a lawyer now. It will be worth it. They know the system, the laws there and will minimize the damage to you. Mine got me completely exonerated and the judge even yelled at the cop!

Good luck,
Jim

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Years ago I got tapped in VA for the same thing 54 in a 30. I was actually innocent! Only doing 29. I was a young guy in a Porsche Turbo... I'm sure most cops are great but not that one. At that time and maybe still; the penalty was up to a $1000 fine and up to a year in jail!. RD is looked at as a serious offence by your insurance, you'll pay more in premiums than the fine. Pay to get a lawyer now. It will be worth it. They know the system, the laws there and will minimize the damage to you. Mine got me completely exonerated and the judge even yelled at the cop!

Good luck,
Jim

OK. Let's here some details. I have yet to hear a judge yell at a policeman. They usually know each other very well, as they see each other often. How did your Lawyer prove you innocent, hence proving the cop a liar.

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mine was 75 in a 45 in King George county VA. I even know one of the troopers there, but could not get it reduced. It is a reckless driving ticket. I did not get a lawyer. My fine was $250 plus points. My insurance found out and canceled me. I was able to get insurance from another company with no problems. My clearance has not been in jeopardy. Ask yourself which is more important, money or the points. If points is your answer than get a lawyer. Otherwise just show up and take your medicine. You won't go to jail or anything. There will probably be ten others in there with you. Good Luck.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mine was 75 in a 45 in King George county VA. I even know one of the troopers there, but could not get it reduced. It is a reckless driving ticket. I did not get a lawyer. My fine was $250 plus points. My insurance found out and canceled me. I was able to get insurance from another company with no problems. My clearance has not been in jeopardy. Ask yourself which is more important, money or the points. If points is your answer than get a lawyer. Otherwise just show up and take your medicine. You won't go to jail or anything. There will probably be ten others in there with you. Good Luck.

Agreed, but the great part is he's in PA, so no points are accessed on an out of state violation. My only concern would be the insurance rates climbing, but I find it hard to believe they will ever find out since it's out-of-state and no points are going to be accessed. Although, you may want to look into....

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't understand something. If you are guilty of the offense why pay extremely high attorney fees to get the fine or whatever reduced? You are guilty of the offense, so fess up. Why pursue this and jam up an already overburdend court system? I don't understand.

XXX BLK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Same thing happen to me in NY and I payed the fine and NO POINTS on my license.Adrian

OP
OP
P

PaulH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i called the PA DOT/DMV, and they lady I spoke to said that reckless driving by speeding will be considered reckless driving in PA. She didn't really know what she was talking about, though, so I don't trust her input.

I emailed a couple VA lawyers, so I hope to get answers. Otherwise, I'm going to call them. I'll let you know what I hear.

regarding fessing up to doing the crime, I don't mind getting the speeding ticket, but for me to get a reckless driving charge is ridiculous (in my opinion). I don't want my insurance canceled, and I don't want a criminal record (reckless driving is considered a criminal offense, not just a traffic offense).

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Pay the fine and invest in a Valentine 1...AL... :laugh: :laugh:

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeap only a $40 fine for using an illegal radar detector in VA. Cheaper than a speeding ticket for sure!!

kARLUG

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Does the state have traffic school? I got a ticket in Nevada and went to traffic school. Still had to pay the fine but no points on driving record. Some states allow you to complete the school on line. I didn't want the points affecting my insurance.

Blue Streak

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I would find if your points would transfer from the ticket if any. If they dont, just pay the fine and move on. I know that they do not transfer from out of state in KY. But PA is another state...

unreelviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Paul, the points will not transfer to your Pa. license. Every state has a different point system. What may be a 2 point violation in Pa. might be a 3 point violation in Va. What happens is this, if you are found guilty in court or you pay the fine by mail, then that state may notify Pa. that you received a moving violation in their state...However, no points are accessed on your driving record. The only time that you have to worry about getting points is if you receive a moving violation in your home state. Also be advised that Va has resiprocity with Pa. so if you don't go to court or pay the fine, the state of Va. will suspend your driving privilege thus they will notify Pa. and your driving privilege in your home state as well as the other states that have resiprocity with Va.(approx. 42 States) will also be suspended....this is the normal process....Good Luck, I hope this helps!

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeap only a $40 fine for using an illegal radar detector in VA. Cheaper than a speeding ticket for sure!!
Radar detectors are legal here in Texas. How many states made them against the law?

unreelviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Viper spray, all the Commonwealth States on the East Coast(Conneticut,Pennsylvania,Virginia and Washington, D.C.) . I'm not sure about States out West.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

PaulH, you didn't say where it was in VA, that makes it very hard to give you an attorney referral. Also, VA has driving school (not sure about online yet though), so if you have a clean record, you might be able to get that in lieu of the ticket. At worst, drive down to Northern VA and take a class on a Saturday - beats having it on your insurance, even if PA doesn't give you driver's license points.

I don't understand something. If you are guilty of the offense why pay extremely high attorney fees to get the fine or whatever reduced? You are guilty of the offense, so fess up. Why pursue this and jam up an already overburdend court system? I don't understand.

Now that's just d&mned dumb! The courts are clogged because:

1. the government passes way too many stringent laws because it's always good for politicians to be for "law and order", and then
2. the government doesn't allocate enough funds to address them.

For both reasons, the court system is overburdened, though the first obviously impacts the second. And it is because of the first that he's having to deal with this situation rather than just sucking up a speeding ticket.

MAVERICK

Viper Owner
Reaction score

In Florida, you always hire a lawyer. You pay about $150 and the lawyer shows up in court, the police 99% of the time do not show up, and the judge dismisses the case. No points, no ticket. You should find out what the procedure is like there. If it is like Florida, you should hire a lawyer. If not, just pay the ticket.

OP
OP
P

PaulH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

OOProwler: the kicker is that I DO have a Valentine1, which I took down in virginia because of the many signs saying it's illegal. If i knew it was only a $40 fine, I would have kept it up... it would have saved me from that freaking ticket!

unreelviper: **THANKS** for your helpful thread!! I'm wondering, though, will there be points or other repercussions since it's a reckless driving charge, and NOT just a moving violation? I definitely don't mind paying the fine and will do so ASAP, unless I think I should hire a lawyer. If it was just a speeding charge, I would just pay it.... all this talk about reckless driving has scared me a little though! :)

maverick: I think lawyers in VA or more like $750-$1500 (I think??)... I wish it were like Florida....

slaughterj: oops!! The county was Charlotte. Do you know any lawyers there??

thanks again everyone. I'm still not sure what to do, but it's good to have the viperclub to lend advice. thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32