Fitting Gen 2 Shocks on a Gen 4 ?

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For starters it appears that Gen 3 and Gen 4 shocks are interchangeable, but, different than than the Gen 2. We also now know that Gen 4 shocks will fit a Gen 5. One last item, the wishbones (rear shock base) on the Gen 2 and the Gen 3/4 are different. I do not know the extent of the variance, but, the part numbers are not the same. That is the start of the question.

I have a set of Gen 2 Penskes that I want to install on a Gen 5. Does anyone know if the Gen 2 rear shock will thread into Gen 3/4/5 wishbones. Has anyone installed Gen 2 shocks into a Gen 3/4?

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need to check the motion ratio of the new car's suspension to make sure there's enough room for the thing to operate through its full stroke and not top- or bottom-out. I would imagine it would probably be fairly close. Hopefully, the shock body/clevis threads are the same.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For starters it appears that Gen 3 and Gen 4 shocks are interchangeable, but, different than than the Gen 2. We also now know that Gen 4 shocks will fit a Gen 5. One last item, the wishbones (rear shock base) on the Gen 2 and the Gen 3/4 are different. I do not know the extent of the variance, but, the part numbers are not the same. That is the start of the question.

I have a set of Gen 2 Penskes that I want to install on a Gen 5. Does anyone know if the Gen 2 rear shock will thread into Gen 3/4/5 wishbones. Has anyone installed Gen 2 shocks into a Gen 3/4?

Jack

I had a set of Penskes on my 03 convert, the penskes at the time did not have the range in a gen3/4 platform. you need a new fork that can give you more range of motion like what moton uses. Their fork is shorter than the stock fork.

The threads between Gen2 and Gen 3 are different, the Gen 3 and 4 threads are the same for the fork.

The Gen 2 fork is a different width at the bottom than the Gen 3/4/5 fork. i.e. they are not interchangeable., gen 3 will fit on a Gen 2 with spacers, Gen 2 will not fit on a gen 3/4/5 as the fork with where the bolt goes through is not wide enough and the cast aluminum is too brittle to bend.

Last edited:

Mad Max

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope you can get them to work, however if it's not meant to be would they be for sale?

WDW MKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure about the wishbone height issue, but you can also swap the lower mount bushing on the control arm to accommodate the width difference. Bolt pattern is the same.