Flatspot? Bad Tire?

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a speed trial event yesterday..... on the way home I noticed at lower speeds, this bumping feeling, felt like I had a nice sized nail in a tire..... the bumping increases in frequency with speed.... as if something is stuck to a tire.... after 60mph I don't notice it at all...

at the speed trial, I did lock up the tires for a very brief moment.... less than 1/2 second for sure..... no skidding out of control or anything....

I jacked up the car..... spuns the tires around, and looked at each tire very carefully... no nails, or anything else stuck to the tires.... did a few burnouts to clean the rears off... still getting this bumping feeling... I also checked the brake rotors for cracks.. nada

my front tires are fairly low on tread..... approaching the wear bars..... its is possible that my breif lock up flatspotted a tire? or one of the tires is just shot? any ideas?

I am planning on going to the dragstrip tomorrow night, should this bumping be a concern?

thanks!

Brooks

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brooks, the 132mph guy who flat spotted my PRR tire made the same noise. Think about this, do you want to go 120mph+ on a set of almost used up tires that may have a flat spot? Shop around for good prices. Some shops will tell you 3-5 days just to get them in stock. Then go to some remote place and do some nice big burnouts for the family album and replace them......