Floor jack for SRT

Phoenix SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy an aluminum floor jack to use with my SRT. They weigh only about 35 lbs, as opposed to twice that or more for normal floor jacks and I see prices that vary from around $200 to over $1000. Most of them seem to be in the $500-$600 range.

Usually, you get what you pay for (especially on the cheap end)and I am therefore hesitant to buy the $200 unit, which is made by U.S. General. Does anyone know anything about the U.S. General jacks? Good stuff? Garbage? What brand do you recommend (and what does it cost)?

Thanks for any info.

gtsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a US General and a $400 Griot's jack. They both work. Have not had a problem with the US General. I use it at the track and keep it in the trailer as the Griot weighs a ton.
I paid 149 for it and saw they have it on sale at Harbor Freight for $169 now.

OP
OP
P

Phoenix SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. How is the action on the aluminum US General jack? Can you lower it smoothly and only fractions of an inch at time?

I also have a Griot's low profile jack (yes, they sure do weigh a ton!) and the action on it is terrible. It is not possible to smoothly let the jack down in small increments. If you want to go down only, say, an inch or so, it is very jerky...been like that since new.

gtsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fred is right...you get what you pay for. Even I can't justify and $800 jack though The USG is worth the money and is smoother than my Griot. For 150 bucks it's worth a try. IMHO

Reaction score
I would have purchased the jack from COSTCO, if it were available in 97. If it did not work as expected, return it no questions. In 97 I had no choice and at $800 that was a discount as the going price was around $1,100.

A light jack makes life so much easier, for aging backs.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
US General jack from Harbor Freight not bad...NEEDS some lube as pumping effort very high with short handle. Lube helps.

Reaction score
Check the construction of the U joint connecting to the hydraulic cylinder. If it is not robust use caution. I saw the U joint was twisted separated on a COSTCO floor sample.