Florida Keys in February

Roffey

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi all!

My wife and I are planning to visit the Keys between 2/2 and 2/9/11. Found a good deal on a flight. Since it's winter up here, gives us something to look forward to between now and when we're able to get the Viper out for the new season.

Looking for suggestions on some good local places to eat (we always try and patronize the mom/pop shops) and some things to do while in the area. We are pretty easy to please and there really isn't anything this boy won't try when it comes to food:2tu: This will be the first time to the Keys for both of us.

We're flying into Ft Lauderdale and are renting a convertible and our only itinerary is to take our time getting to/from the Southern most point of the good ol' USA! Some tips on places to stay would be cool too. Nothing fancy, just a clean bed and a hot shower. Again, would rather give our money to the locals and not the chains. We'd love to meet up with some of the South Florida members as well. Can post here or feel free to send a PM -
Appreciate any help - Thanks!

Dan:cool:

Last edited:

Sandy G

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An "interesting local place to stay is "La Te Da" it's right on Duval Street. The main drag.....the have a drag show show upstairs, serve a nice breakfast. Pool in lobby, old place old Key West style. Everything pretty much in walking distance. Forgot the name but the oldest resturant in Key West is still in biz , like a 100 years ago. Locals will tell you for sure. The sandal factory, they make them and you can buy them for about $5. Lots of beer everywhere!!!!!!!! Have fun! No one gets dressed up!:2tu: Oh yah, go to Fastbuck Freddys on Duval a main store to check out for sure.

OP
OP
R

Roffey

Viper Owner
Reaction score

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We always stay at the South Beach but have not been there since they redid the place, I am sure it s even nicer now.

To eat you have to go to Dennis Pharmacy for breakfast. This is the place Jimmy Buffet wrote Cheesburger in Paradise about.

Duffy's - Great food at a reasonable price. Same chef as Cafe Di Artiste but much cheaper.
Ricks Blue Heaven - Great atmosphere, we go for dinner but a lot of people love it for Breakfast/brunch.
Micheal's - Great place for dinner in a neighborhood where all the locals go.

We go every year but haven't been there for a few years, feel free to PM with any questions.

RoofTop bar on top of The Bull is a clothing optional bar and the bar maids are *******, great viewS of both Key West among other things. :lmao:

OP
OP
R

Roffey

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dan, it sounds like you are planning on going to Key West to stay. Prices are going to be high!!!It's season there now..... B&B's are also a choise.

Probably a stupid question. Since it's high season down there, is it possible to find something 'on the fly' or are reservations a must? :dunno:

Normally when we travel, we like to putz at our own pace. Usually just look for a place when we feel we've had enough for one day. Our plan is to get down to Key West and work our way back. The only reservation we made is in FLL the night before we leave.

As long as we're in a convertible in warm weather, we'll be happy:drive:

Dan

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have driven there in season and found places to stay twice.

rooftop bar is a blast, wasnt going to mention it but agent already did...:)

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Trivial Pursuit answer --- Southernmost point in the US of A is actually in Hawaii.

Heh, since I was born in Florida figured it was okay to make this obscure clarification. Listen to Sandy G.........he knows the places to go! Hopefully Ivan ** will chime in , since as a Restaurateur in Southern Florida, he has to know a bunch of the hot spots.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Sunset Key is where we usually stay when we go. It's pricey, but we usually go with a couple of other couples and split a bigger house. Plus, we usually aren't there a whole week.
Very nice, Very quiet. You have you're own resort on the island (restaurant, bar, pool, beach), but you are right across from Mallory Square and all the restaurants and bars of Key West. You just jump on the shuttle boat to go back and forth.

OP
OP
R

Roffey

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To eat you have to go to Dennis Pharmacy for breakfast. This is the place Jimmy Buffet wrote Cheesburger in Paradise about.

RoofTop bar on top of The Bull is a clothing optional bar and the bar maids are *******, great viewS of both Key West among other things. :lmao:

We are Buffett fans as well - definitely have to check that one out.

I'll have to play innocent when I bring the wife to the rooftop......How was I supposed to know?!!!:dunno::lmao::D:2tu:

Dan

TP_ GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here's a place that I highly recommend. I've stayed here a few times. It's walking distance from Duval street. Park and walk everywhere. VERY CLEAN and affordable. It's a hidden treasure.

Key West Hotel - The Almond Tree Inn

My last trip down, last minute, the above was booked. So I decided to try this. Another great place to stay with affordable prices.

Hotels in Key West Florida ~ Historic Key West Inns ~ Key Lime Inn

BOOK NOW! Look at Tripadvisor for reviews but I would call the hotel/Inns direct and see what they can do for you.

Have fun and be sure to check out the SUNSET Show. Oh... and the "roof top" place is called ..........> the Garden of Eden. :)

Oh....leave yourself plenty of time to drive to Key West during daylight. You DO NOT want to drive there during the night if you can help it. Especially being your first trip there. Besides, you will miss out on some awesome views. You're going to want to stop and enjoy.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An "interesting local place to stay is "La Te Da" it's right on Duval Street. The main drag.....the have a drag show show upstairs, serve a nice breakfast. Pool in lobby, old place old Key West style. Everything pretty much in walking distance. Forgot the name but the oldest resturant in Key West is still in biz , like a 100 years ago. Locals will tell you for sure. The sandal factory, they make them and you can buy them for about $5. Lots of beer everywhere!!!!!!!! Have fun! No one gets dressed up!:2tu: Oh yah, go to Fastbuck Freddys on Duval a main store to check out for sure.
Why would you send a fellow Viper owner to a *** resort. :nono: :lmao:

Here's a place that I highly recommend. I've stayed here a few times. It's walking distance from Duval street. Park and walk everywhere. VERY CLEAN and affordable. It's a hidden treasure.

Key West Hotel - The Almond Tree Inn

My last trip down, last minute, the above was booked. So I decided to try this. Another great place to stay with affordable prices.

Hotels in Key West Florida ~ Historic Key West Inns ~ Key Lime Inn

BOOK NOW! Look at Tripadvisor for reviews but I would call the hotel/Inns direct and see what they can do for you.

Have fun and be sure to check out the SUNSET Show. Oh... and the "roof top" place is called ..........> the Garden of Eden. :)

Oh....leave yourself plenty of time to drive to Key West during daylight. You DO NOT want to drive there during the night if you can help it. Especially being your first trip there. Besides, you will miss out on some awesome views. You're going to want to stop and enjoy.

Yes, that is it, Garden of Eden, couldn't think of the name. Great place to get body painted. The view of the city actually is stunning.

Speaking of Buffet there is also Margaritaville on Duval St. We actually ran into Jimmy in the Margaritaville gift shop one year. Really nice guy, was signing everybodies merchandise. I still have a T-Shirt he signed for us.

OP
OP
R

Roffey

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just got back last night -
We were supposed to leave on 2/2, but the storm decided otherwise.

Stayed at the Almond Tree for a few nights. Very nice place! Gave us both 2 drink cards for each night we were there. Had cheese/crackers, dips, nuts etc. from 5-7pm. Continental breakfast. Stopped at Pepe's (oldest restaurant) and had a bit of a time finding Dennis Pharmacy. They've since moved and a bank now occupies the building. Walked in, looked around, and the teller had a puzzled look on her face (probably figured I was casing the joint:)) - Told her I had to be able to say that I was in the building where JB wrote Cheeseburger.
She grinned.

Saw dozens of cool cars, but only one Viper during the entire trip. It was in Miami traveling North on 1, Sunday afternoon, 2/6. Only caught a glimpse, so not sure of the year/model. Yellow w/black stripes. Turned both our heads though!!!:2tu::headbang::drive:

Long story short - Had a great time and want to THANK ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS!

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can't hit Duval Street in Key West without stopping in at Sloppy Joes. It's one of the most iconic bars there (other than Buffet's Margaritaville).

I went to Scuba school in Key West (Fleming Key) many years ago (US ARMY SF) and crawled, er...visited there many times. :omg:

Here's a webcam live shot outside Sloppy Joes.

Live Duval Street Web Cam in Key West, Florida :: Sloppy Joe's Bar ::

OP
OP
R

Roffey

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You can't hit Duval Street in Key West without stopping in at Sloppy Joes. It's one of the most iconic bars there (other than Buffet's Margaritaville).

I went to Scuba school in Key West (Fleming Key) many years ago (US ARMY SF) and crawled, er...visited there many times. :omg:

Here's a webcam live shot outside Sloppy Joes.

Live Duval Street Web Cam in Key West, Florida :: Sloppy Joe's Bar ::

Oh yeah! - They told us their motto is 'The Best Worst Food in Key West':)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4