fog light replacement 2001 GTS help

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't recall the foglight being able to be replaced without removing the bumper. There is a writeup in the DIY section and they said it required removing the bumper.

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can, you learned a new trick!

I had to remove my fascia, because there was no way I was going to be able to put the bracket through the hole and I wasn't able to push it up from the bottom.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pull the facia and learn some new things about your car. I never regret just jumping in since its an easy car to work on. Don't get intimidated. Its just a Dodge.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My thinking...and now I'm second guessing....was that as opposed to removing the lamp with it's mounting bracket....remove the lamp and leave the bracket in the car. Once it's unbolted you can get one hand in from the front...one from the back and remove/replace the bracket from the lamp.

When I did a headlight replacement in my former '96 GTS, I seem to remember slipping the lamp (less bracket) through either the foglight front hole or the plug in order to get more access to the headlight hardware without pulling the fascia. It's well over 10 years ago since doing this, and I can't remember the details as well as I'd like. Perhaps I masking taped and gently flexed the front foglight hole to slip the lamp out without it's bracket? (And yes, I was able to change the headlamp without pulling the fascia)

Some of the plastic retainers for the fascia are tough to put back in with the headlamps, etc in place. I pulled the fascia on the RT and despite having a lift...it wasn't exactly a two minute job.
For that reason, I'd try to do the lamp without pulling the fascia first. Unbolt the lamp/bracket from fascia. 3 bolts. Then, seperate the lamp from the bracket. If the lamp by itself can't be brought past the front or rear holes...then pull the fascia. You're not going to have much more work to try it first.

Last edited:

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did my right front fog light assembly through the lightening hole without removing the facia. There is a write up in the DIY section called the fog lightecomy. It was very helpful. good luck

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes you can change the lense without removing the front fascia, Ive done it as my lense was cracked. Jack up car, remove front wheel, remove the black rubber ****, get a torch and familiarize yourself with the workings. there is a white plastic lamp adjuster screw which moves up and down a threaded shaft. After undoing the other nuts around the light cluster you need to twist the white plastic clip holding the metal lense to the black plastic holder. this can be done with some long nose pliers :) The fog light then can come out from the front. the black plastic outer surround can stay inside the fender area, or if you want to get that out too you can remove it by undoing a few of the screws under the lower front fascia. A 1/4 inch square drive socket set comes in handy for this job and a pair of long nose pliers.

VIPER PIT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chip seal roads = cracked lenses here in Texas. I replaced them many times without removing the fascia. Easier with wheel off though. Get those clear protective lens covers from snake Oyle products and put them on both the headlamps and fog lights. That alone reduced my headaches and $ spent on broken lights.

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
follow up question: where did you buy the foglight? I tried searching online with both the mopar and hella part numbers with no success. Anyone have a vendor or a link to a site?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth