For Drag racing at a track, what RPM do you launch at?

Ataim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a stock 2001 RT10 with headers and brand new Nitto Invo, 345/30 19 on the rear. After some searching the tires should/will hold with my car. So what RPM to launch at? Not looking to set records, just have some good ol fun.

Ataim

Tail lights

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Try dropping the clutch at 2500 and flooring it. Ajust up or down depending on wheels spin. If your car wheel hops,you will have to slip the clutch off the line. Your shooting for a big squeak off the line and acellerating through first without wheelspin.Good luck.

OP
OP
A

Ataim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well yesterday I went to the strip. Dropping at 2500 resulted in nothing put spin with some wheel hoop. I tried slipping the clutch some with a 2000 and had better results, but still spun more tha I would like, also dropped the tire pressure down to 25 psi, it could go lower I think. My fastst time was 8.228 in the 8th. My reaction time sucked on this run, but here it is. How are the 60' and 330 foot times?

You must be registered for see images attach

1.8t

Enthusiast
Reaction score
60' isn't horrible and is better than most, but could always be better depending on track prep. On street tires, anything in the 1.9's is going to have you far out performing most drivers and anything in the 1.8's will have you in the top couple percent of your typical TNT drivers(again, street tires). 1.7's on street tires is a combination of a great track, a great driver, and a really great launch technique. And by street tires I am not talking about R compounds or PS Cups...just your typical max performance summer tire where you aren't saying to yourself "I'm screwed" if it rains.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL at the guy in the 9-second drag Viper giving advice to someone asking how to launch a stock Viper on street tires.

Your advice is worthless, in this situation. :) haha.

In my single-digit drag cars, those were much easier to launch and required far less driver skill to get off the line. Dump and go. Especially in a dialed-in combo. I used to bracket race and cut 1.4 60' times with a manual, it was far easier than cutting a 1.7X on street tires.

Slipping the clutch out and rolling into the throttle is the best way to launch any street tire car. Use as high of rpm as the traction will allow. This is usually in the 2500-3500 range, from all the cars I've raced. As mentioned earlier, 1.8X 60' times are excellent on a non-drag radial. Anything above 2.0 could benefit from some seat time and practice.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL at the guy in the 9-second drag Viper giving advice to someone asking how to launch a stock Viper on street tires.

Your advice is worthless, in this situation. :) haha.

In my single-digit drag cars, those were much easier to launch and required far less driver skill to get off the line. Dump and go. Especially in a dialed-in combo. I used to bracket race and cut 1.4 60' times with a manual, it was far easier than cutting a 1.7X on street tires.

Slipping the clutch out and rolling into the throttle is the best way to launch any street tire car. Use as high of rpm as the traction will allow. This is usually in the 2500-3500 range, from all the cars I've raced. As mentioned earlier, 1.8X 60' times are excellent on a non-drag radial. Anything above 2.0 could benefit from some seat time and practice.

I set my launch light at 2500 after a good burn out in the box. I mean really heat them up. Seems pointless to drag race on street tires. I run M&H drag radials with 17psi my 60' times are 1.7 never hit 1.6 I don't drop the clutch but ease it in. With this type of suspension you want to avoid wheel hop at all costs. If you hop your done. if you spin your done. Launch is critical. Best time for this nearly stock viper was 11.55. Consistancey in bracket racing wins not the fastest time or highest speed. It's way to much fun.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Whatever it will hold.

Tony let BigBad have fun I just kept running the 4,500 rpm street tire clutch dump in my head lmao.

OP
OP
A

Ataim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems pointless to drag race on street tires.

I agree unless you only go to the drag a few times and year. The ONLY reason I went was to have fun, not to try and turn the fastest viper time ever. For me road racing and autocross (excpet standing around 98% of the time) gets my blood flowing. I'll be spending money on some r compound tires for that.

First pic is lots of spin:(

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21