For those that have low mileage Vipers, how do you do it?

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I lived 1.8 miles from the office, i'd drive the car every day, but still never racked up the miles. Oh yeah... i traveled for business and this wasn't my airport car. so 20 miles a week wasn't much. I _felt_ like i drove it all the time, but in 2 years, the odometer had less than 4k on it.

now i've had the car for 7 years (7 years tomorrow, actually) and it has just over 17k miles on it. and it has been a fun 17k miles!

JD

Talk about a close trip to the office. Assuming you did not even get on it at all, the car would not even be warmed up by the time you arrived. LOL

a-mechanic

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 86,000 and just got back to Atlanta after a 620 mile weekend run to Bristol VA. and back. that was rough.

kpham

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bought mine 2+ years ago with 14.5Kmiles and now it has 18.7Kmiles. I average about 2Kmiles/year -- should be less now since I don't have to take long trip (100 miles +) anymore.

I have the suspension set to the lowest settings so it leaves about less than 4 inches ground clearance in the front. Hate driving in and out of parking lot and scrape it. I drive it almost exactly once a week for about 20-30 miles. Like others have mentioned, time is the main reason.

Also now that I have the Evo (with a few mods) for daily commute, it's just a much safer car for non-expert driver like me; the low-end torque is zero but once the turbo kicks in, it's really pulling almost as hard as the viper. I never have my viper goes over 135mph, but I did 150+ mph on the evo. It starts taking weekend time out of the viper as well. Plus I like my viper so much that I probably enjoy cleaning it just as much as driving it :) . The plan is eventually buying a supercharged srt-10 and drive the heck out of it :)

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got my first Viper a yr ago, and I've put 10K miles on it

It's my 3rd car, I have a company car and a Z06 for the track, the vette has 70K miles on it (mostly track miles, going to and from HPDE's)... my company car got 20K miles put on it this year.

I guess I like to drive hahaha!

PittsburghRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove my Viper 300 miles home when I purchased it and have only put an additional 150 miles on it in three months. I just don't have a lot of free time to drive it. I do pause in the garage once in a while to look at it. :)

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought my '01 RT/10 with 6,005 miles on it this past March. It now has 9,475 miles on it. The former owner was an exec at MGM Grand who also owned a bunch of Ferarri's, Lambo's and Porsche's so I can understand how the Viper had low mileage after 5 years. In fact, he traded the Viper in towards a new F355. :D Rough life he has.

BoeingMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought my 2001 GTS a litte over three months ago with 2800 miles on it. I've got about 3500 miles on it now so I average about 200 miles/month in the viper.

I like to drive it but have 5 vehicles that I split my fun time with. My job also takes me away about 8 to 10 days a month so I can't drive anything during those periods... 'cept for the company wheels of course, which by the way, is a freaking blast and half to drive too.

BoeingMan

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a lot of old cars. At times, I get hooked on one car and drive the fool out of it for a month or so. Then the winds change and I go to another car. I get bored with cars easily. I've spent 11 months working on my SRT10 Truck and will have it done this week. Once I go out and hopefully run in the 10's, I'll be bored with it and want to move onto something else. I've very eager to join the viper CAR owners :) . I'm selling my SRT6 crossfire right now to make room for one. Just have to find the right deal. I understand how people get busy and don't drive a car, especially one they love.

dblankenbaker

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I only drive about 15,000 miles/year, so with 6 vehicles, something's bound to get driven less than 2,500 miles/year.

I rode my Harley 5,800 miles this year.
My DAILY DRIVER is the Ram SRT-10, and it just turned 4,400 miles yesterday (bought it 10/20/2005 w/5 miles on the ODO).
That leaves ~5,000 miles spread between 4 cars.

SERPENT INDY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...I currently own a 2002 FE #74 GTS/ACR with about 400 miles
...I currently own a 2003 SRT10 with about 400 miles
...I currently own a 2002 GTS/ACR (graphite/silver) with about 6K miles

...I have had lots of other Vipers and some were driven more than others too...

...I too have to many cars and drive one for a while, then another....sometimes one gets trapped behind a few others and just too difficult to get out on a moments notice, so it sits till another day, week, month or year....

OP
OP
S

SSR9999

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow, great question! :p With me, i don't have a low mileage Viper (just hit 25K and have put close to a 1000 miles since i have the car for 6 weeks now, maybe) nor do i think i have the discipline to not drive it every opportunity that i might get, so i don't think i'll ever have a low mileage car. However, i'm trying to use more discretion as to when i take it out, so as to not become too desentisize to the car (not that that will ever happen) and enjoy it even more after not driving it for a day or two or three.

I can understand even more now as to why those with low mileage Vipers don't get to drive their cars as much...time (among other factors). But at least, when you do get to drive the Viper or any other cars that you enjoy, it probably bring even more of an euphoria that probably make up for not connecting/driving with the car as much.

Thanks for all the responses!

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everytime I think about driving it, I think about all the work I'll have to do when I get back. Something is always in need of "fixin" on this Dodge of mine. So I get it fixed, get it clean, and enjoy owning it. Drive it only when I have plenty of spare time to work on it.

Reaction score
I don't see how anyone would want to drive these cars. They should stay in the garage like a piece of art hanging on a wall. That's just the way I feel.

THANK GOD there is ONE SANE person (besides me) here! LOL!

Honestly..I never think about the miles. I don't drive it if I don't feel like it. It is a toy. I guess I could have my wife and son meet me somewhere so we can take two cars...ahhh, no.

The times I do drive it I enjoy the HE LL out of, I'll tell you that much! Every so often I'll come home at lunch and trade cars. I don't like to drive it out at 0530 in the A-freakin-M just because it is so loud. I am a nice neighbor. :)

For me, it is all about the mood. I couldn't care less about the miles. Bought in mid-99 with about 13K....now has about 35K, thats about 3142.8 miles a year. AND, you have to remember that the first year I had the car it was in Wa. State and I was in Italy. Then there were other times we were separated due to "needs of the Navy" (by marriage). :)

hatda02GTS01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For me, it is all about the mood. I couldn't care less about the miles.

Same here....three to four months out of the year are shot because of weather. When I do have time and the weather is nice, it's all about my mood. Some days I would rather be on two wheels and others I'm fine in the ****** listening to music (decent stereo installed).

I don't feel guilty because when it does come out it is still something special. It's not like having a new gen vette where in two years you see as many "new" vettes as cavaliers. Every time, every year, it is still something special and unique.