Ford GT

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think they compare. The GT is a true exotic with amazing history. It looks and drives great. The SRT has great history too but has lost it's exotic appeal. It looks fugly (IMHO) but still drives great. The SRT still has price in it's favor.

JimK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if W. Mitty works for a publication as a writer, but if he doesn't, C&D or Road and Track need to hire this guy immediately.

Actually, Walter is a lawyer if I'm not mistaken ;)

But yeah - there is no better a "car guy wordsmith" than w. mitty!

Jim

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't believe the GT has gone up in value since they quit making them, in fact, two guys I know (each) lost $100k on the resale of GTs which were bought new. I also think there are much better and more desirable cars on the market for GT money. (I debate trading my Ferrari for a GT (or Lambo or GT2 or something else) about once a year, for about ten seconds.) I certainly understand the comment about the TT Gallardo...case in point. IMO, there is no better or desirable car on the market for SRT money. Just my 2c.

Last edited:

JimK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't believe the GT has gone up in value since they quit making them, in fact, two guys I know (each) lost $100k on the resale of GTs which were bought new. I also think there are much better and more desirable cars on the market for GT money. (I debate trading my Ferrari for a GT (or Lambo or GT2 or something else) about once a year, for about ten seconds.) I certainly understand the comment about the TT Gallardo...case in point. IMO, there is no better or desirable car on the market for SRT money. Just my 2c.

ummmm, really!?

Unless these guys were ***** when they bought new (I know some paid some stiff premiums in 05'), they paid roughly $160K. You're telling me you know of two guys that sold thier FGT's for $60K!? Seriously, if you know of or ever hear mention of, any more guys willing to take $100K hits on thier FGT's, can you please give me a call immediately?

and as far as appreciation - depending on color, some have went up, ie Heritage and some stripe delete cars, especially Black. All of the other colors (assuming low mileage, well maintained) have remained at or near original MSRP. Thats strong for the first few years out of the gates for any vehicle - the only other contemporary I'm aware of that has held value like the FGT is the BMW Z8.

Jim

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Only if they paid $260K for them originally. Even salvage title GTs go slightly over $100K--some $120--130. I have bought 2 GTs in the last year. Depending on color/mileage anything under 10,000 miles goes $140--$230--the later being Heritage editions.

The most expensive colors tend to be black (stripe delete), black stripe, blue, tungsten, silver , yellow, white and red brings up the rear. (may have left a color out) Even reds bring $150,000 or more with 3000-5000 miles .

OP
OP
M

MarcRoth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They lost 100k.....man that is a hard one to chew... I call bs.They are still out there at a solid 135k for a low milage clean gt and I would belive that the people that own them would take care or have there people take great care of these cars.

britospeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ripper...Get that gauge installed ASAP! Whats it been 2 yrs sitting on your shelf?

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well... It is actually possible as I own all of the cars you listed. Funny you know what resides in my stable :D

The Underground Racing TT Gallardo takes the win....
Just a very small amount of seat time either as a
passenger or driver and you would understand.

I'll bet....:2tu:

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had it for two weeks. Couldn't pass up the offer....:(

Like the others have said, it drives like no other car...

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ford GT is a road car - ACR is a track car. Both will lose to each other when not in their element. Both are exotics in my book.

Wish Dodge would have not cranked out 9000 ACRs in the last 18 months - really hurt the value. If there would have only been 200 or so ACRs they would be holding at $95k (like the GTs). Since Dodge cranked out 500 different "special edition" ACRs - every ACR is "special" therefore none of them are particularly special anymore. There is only so much you can do with paint alone to increase value/exclusivity. The GTs stuck to 5/6 colors per year (standard colors). The Vipers went Lambo/Lotus on the color scale (bag of Skittles).

We (Viper owners) need to stop trying to be "1 of 1" with wacky color combos IMO. Try selling a SSG or VVO ACR with 1980's low rider contrasting stripes. "a face only a mother (owner) could love" comes to mind.

I've probably missed to concept of the Viper colors altogether.

As for the ACR vs GT:
- If you are comparing the 2 on the street the GT wins hands down. An ACR is NOT a relaxing drive anytime.
- If you are comparing the 2 on the track the ACR wins hands down. This is an undisputed fact (stock for stock).

Looks - subjective.
Interior room - subjective based upon your physical size.
Trunk space - ACR
Gawk factor - both about the same (there has always been less ACRs than GTs ad the car shows and social events I've been to) - definitely less "what is its" with the GT.

The sensitive subject:
Price - GTs sold new in the $175 range - with 10k miles can be purchased in the $140-150k range (Gross loss $25-35k or 15-20% over 5 years). ACRs sold new for $100-105k - selling now w/under 10k miles for $85-95k depending on year (`08-`10) Gross loss $10-20k or 10-20% over 3 years)

Conclusion - ACRs seem to be holding value about the same as GTs. Note - many, many Ford GT owners paid $20-50k premiums for their cars & are therefore emtionally/financially tied to them much more. Many ACR owners bought at invoice (below sticker) therefore actual loss is closer to the 5-15% range for 3 years, right on par with the GT values. There are still far less ACRs than GTs (like 75% less). Now the backfire on ACR colors - do you want a SSG, VVO, light Blue, etc. ACR? Probably not as much as you would settle for a red GT if you couldn't find you 1st choice of colors.

You draw your own conclusions. They are only worth what you can get someone to pay for it.

Last edited:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Many very valid points made Zilla well done post. I'm not understanding the point about cranking out so many ACR's in the last 18 months however. My '09 appears to be one of 257 made that year, not sure how that is "cranking" them out seems pretty low to me? How many Gen 4 ACR's in total since the '10 figures are not known. I agree about the (1 of X) in regards to rarity or value it's meaningless when there are so many color options.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with over 90% of FastZilla's points. On holding value it will be interesting to see how the ACR does 5 years out--I doubt as well as the GT has done. And 5 years from now when the GT is 10 and the ACR is 5-6 years old or so I suspect the gap will be greater--with the GT holding a lot more value.

Looks are subjective. I can get as excited looking at my 92 or 2010 as I can my GT-(frankly I still think Gen 1 and 2s are better looking than 3s and 4s , especially the gen 4/5 verts, and I have had 4 coupe/verts of the latter)

But, based on my experience the gawk factor is MUCH higher with the GT and a lot of that has to do with exclusivness. Way back when I had one the first Vipers in Va. and I thought nothing could top the gawk factor of that until I got a GT.

Practicality--I never thought i would say this, but there is a car less practical than the Viper--thy name is GT. The irony is it is much better on a long trip than the Viper but you better Fed X your lugguge. As one Ford engineer told me--"you can get a set of golf clubs in th Viper--our goal was to get a sleeve of golf balls in the GT". I am a little over 6'4" and the GT (once I am in it) is as comfortable as my CTS-V.

They are cleary both exotics--even though I agree Dodge went WAY overboard on special editions, etc.. Gen 1--4 Viper is one of the all time great cars, and I think that will become more apparent IF a Gen 5 comes out nannied up. Different cars--both great.

Vooodoo ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Damn, if Vipers aren't the meanest and most aggressive looking cars ever made I don't know what is! That Ford looks scared sitting next to that snake! :D

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2c. One thing about the Viper, a lot of ppl consider it to be a 'wannabe' exotic or supercar. Like you can just put a big truck motor in a car and call it an exotic or supercar. The GT definately doesn't have that reputation. Its got a true supercar pedigree. Who buys cars on pedigree? On the track, there is no comparison UNLESS you mod the GT, in which case you can go as far as you want with a GT by lowering it (one thing you cannot do with a Viper)(which is why the GT does so well on the standing mile and some sports car classes). If I had a million dollar budget for my track fun, I would have a hard time choosing between the two. With my more modest budget, there is no comparo. If I had to buy a 'car' to drive on the street, I would get a Ferrari (wait, I have one!), however, if I had one in the garage, I would probably still take the RR Sport to 99% of my street driven destinations. The problem with putting the GT in the 'exotic' class, is that it is the bottom of the rung. It can't truly compare with a Ferrari or Lambo. It really is an 'in betweener' specialty car to appeal to a very narrow range of buyers who have a desire to show off the ultimate modern Ford. Again, just my 2c.

Last edited:

Ripper

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Your Viper has always been such a stunning looking car..

Amazing combination you have put together.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your Viper has always been such a stunning looking car..

Amazing combination you have put together.

I agree--is the Viper green? I had a green 95 and the recent greens are just stunning (but that may be black--either way awesome--nice Tungsten as well)

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the ACR production numbers - if they would have kept them to 200 or less per year you would have a total of under 600. Pretty low numbers for such a performer. The crappy thing about it, IMO. For reference - when I bought my `09 ACR is was one of 43 made ( bought after the 11/08 shutdown and the fate of Viper was uncertain for over 6 months!!!)

On the resale value - the GT will always be more but the initial purchase was more. Need to look at the depreciation/devaluation in percentages - not dollars. Since new ACRs are still available at the dealer this will be difficult to judge until they are out of production & there are none left on Ben & Bob's lots. There is no urgency to buy since there is a large available stock still available new in all colors. Once they are all sold then the true "resale" values can be evaluated. I think the GT will be more desirable to more people. The ACR is more for those "in the know" on what the car is - to most others it's a Viper with a wing. The GT appeals to all buyers, performance, collector & show-off oriented alike. The Viper will mainly appeal to the performance & collector crowd - show off crowd demands traction control & cup holders & most importantly MSRPs on the $200k+ range....yes, I am driving your house Camero boy....(most of those guys wear red from head to toe).

One other point I want to make but am hesitant is that I feel most spectators & public respect the GT more than the ACR. Of course this IMO is probably mostly due to the heritage of the GT & nothing more - may a tad bit to do with the engine being somewhere other than the front of the car as well. I think if the Viper had beat Ferrari for 3 years in a row back in the `60's then they both may be on the same "exotic" scale. Heritage goes a LONG, LONG way, talk to Ferrari and ask how they get such outrageous money for such mediocre cars (not talking about the 599's, Enzo's or the like).

GT/ACR specific portion over at this point - rest is my opinion.

On the "exotic" front - again, IMO - these cars are both exotics. They were both hand built and the top dogs of the USA. They do not carry $250k+ price tags, unless you look at what they sold & are selling for overseas. Even then they do not have the Alcantara, leather hand sewn trim along with Haley's comet & Sputnik materials for shifter bezels and light switches. (Actually glad to see the Corvette going down that road for America's sake). But the back fire on that is that I have 2 other cars with those fancy hand sewn interiors and the materials shrink & stretch which equals thousands in ongoing trim repair.

Of the big 3 (GT, ACR, ZR1) the GT has the most exotic engine and at least has a mid-mounted engine. The other 2 are really refined muscle cars in most foreign buyer's book. The fact that they whoop the poop out of 95% of the non-US cars is mainly over looked. They are amazed and hung-up on the tire smoking power of the US engines & 8.4L!!!! Holly crap!!! I see the videos all over the net - drag racing an ACR. The ACR has the lowest (by 20+ mph) of the big 3 - again NOT designed for the desert of Abu Dhabi.

Now I'm just rambling. They are both great cars. Every bit as exotic as the Italian cars - just doing it old school with low-tech & manual gearboxes. American cars could cost a $1/4M+ with paddle shifted 7sp manuals, Penske suspension, beluga whale ******** seats & meteorite shifter knobs...but then what red-blooded hard working blue-collar American would/could ever buy one. We all know that if the Big 3 can't sell them by the thousands they won't make them.

Just a few different points of view to consider. Ask the Euro crowd how the ACR, GT & ZR1 are perceived elsewhere besides the US - bet you they are looked at as "exotic" - especially after they pay $50k in VAT and taxes because the engine is 9 times larger than the government feels necessary. A $100k ACR (new) in the US us probably more like a $150-$175k car in Europe - but I honestly do not know.

Be content - we're driving the American bad boys, period. None of us are in fear of the pasta rocket, lime sucker or sour ***** machines that we pull up next to on the open roads of America. But if you really MUST have all the exotic materials - buy the $300k Viper for sale floating around the post right now.

Last edited:

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Ford GT has the sexiest "hips" I've ever seen on a sports car..... I hope Ralph can come close on the Gen V using Halle as a starting point ;)

Last edited:

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot of good points made here,but all i can say is time will tell. Personally i think as years go by the Viper will begin to appreciate much like the old 'musclecars' have done. Production numbers are still very low in comparison to other musclecars of the past and with the super car performance of the Viper,and Government controls increasing ,i just think well maintained cars will be harder and harder to find. The legend of the Viper will be another factor in desirabilty. That said,the FGT will always be a very desirable car.Today as well as tomorrow.

Viper #53

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Ford GT and Viper were created to attack a different set of customers and competition. The Viper has fared well against it's intended competition,Corvette, from a price, fit and finish standpoint. It paid homage to the Cobra and destroyed Corvette from a design and performance standpoint.

The Ford GT targeted the Ferrari 360, not Vipers or Corvettes. The quality of engineering, aluminum chassis and body, etc were aimed squarely at Ferrari's entry level car. Yes, it's faster than many other Ferraris in their line up but I seriously doubt Ford would win over a person considering a 599, 550 Maranello, etc. The quality of workmanship and engineering is superior on a Ferrari compared to either the Viper or GT. The most frustrating part of jumping from a Ferrari to a Viper was the fit and finish of the body panels, interior, transmission clunking, etc. I bought two Vipers for their driving capabilities and the fact I can actually work on them. They are great looking cars, but pale considerably from European counter parts from a quality perspective.

Both of these cars boosted their respective company's brand image at critical times and are fantastic proof that America can build a great car when it wishes to compete aggressively.

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
#53,

I agree with you on the fit & finish. America has always sucked at this. We have perfected making barn doors fly however. America has always been "We'll kick your a$$". The European crowd has always been "We'll look good getting our a$$es kicked". Why is there so much "exclusivity" from getting your a$$ kicked?

...It must be the red socks.

Point - it's costs a lot more to get your a$$ kicked.

For the record - the most beautiful car I have ever seen is a Limey. The fastest car...well, American.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Ford GT has the sexiest "hips" I've ever seen on a sports car..... I hope Ralph can come close on the Gen V using Halle as a starting point ;)

I couldn't agree more...

The GT ain't bad either....;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang