Found a viper but im not sure if its right for me.

EMnuke123

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright, ive been saveing up for a viper for about 4 months now and was planning on saving for another 4 at least, to have ample amount of money to buy the car i wanted and maybe get a few extras. What i want is a 1996 GTS with lowish miles(some where around 20k). ive researched a lot on this forum and in some books. ive also been keeping a close eye on the classifieds and autotrader to give me a good idea on price. i was planning on it costing me at least 45k to ge the viper that i want. today while looking at autotrader i came across this..

Dixie Dream Cars Specials

to me this seems like a low price for this car especially from a dealer where i would expect a higher price than from a private seller. i looked at the carfax for the car and it does have the frame recall done and it does seem clean but it has had a lot of owners especially in the last few years. Also it does look like it has the original tires on it. In the pictures it looks great but im sure it had just been detailed so its hard to tell how it was treated by its owners.

Lately ive been getting very anxious about getting it since its summer now and lots of nice cars are out and im stuck driving my 88 jeep cherokee. i could probably get this car in a couple of weeks but i would not have any money for extras.

should i hold off or go for it and enjoy it for the summer?

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Blue and White too, that looks like a good deal, you need to look at it. If it's not close by ask someone on the board to look at it for you. Several from this board were very helpful to me in my search and kept me from making a mistake.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A friend of mine used to work there as a salesman. I'll email him and see if he knows anything about that car. He's not a Viper guy so he prob won't know any specifics about it, but he may be able to say if it has any major issues or if the dealership is bad about selling junk. I was up there a couple months ago and they had some nice cars but the prices were ridiculously high. I'm surprised to see the Viper reasonably priced...that kinda scares me

p.s.--I could check it out for you if you get serious about it

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
V10SpeedLuvr was one of the guys I was refering to that saved me from buying a problem car. I didn't want to publically volunteer him. but he is the (*******) man in Georgia. ;)

OP
OP
E

EMnuke123

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A friend of mine used to work there as a salesman. I'll email him and see if he knows anything about that car. He's not a Viper guy so he prob won't know any specifics about it, but he may be able to say if it has any major issues or if the dealership is bad about selling junk. I was up there a couple months ago and they had some nice cars but the prices were ridiculously high. I'm surprised to see the Viper reasonably priced...that kinda scares me

p.s.--I could check it out for you if you get serious about it

ya that kinda scares me too.. wow thanks for the offer i will definatly let you know if i get serious about the car.

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looks sharp in the pics. I think I would deduct a few grand for that bastard hole that someone drilled in the console.:rolleyes: So maybe the price is about right.

OP
OP
E

EMnuke123

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks sharp in the pics. I think I would deduct a few grand for that bastard hole that someone drilled in the console.:rolleyes: So maybe the price is about right.

ya i wasnt too happy to see that.

what does everyone think about the 4 owners in the past few years? is that a big no no when buying a viper or is it normal?

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks sweet.
I wonder how after 20k miles the front bumper and air dam appear entirely blemish-free. Nary a scuff or stone-chip. Repainted (not that it's a negative)?

z76232

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see the problem. Someone stole 6th gear. It's posted as only a 5 speed.:)Other than that, looks like a steal. Remember how the old saying goes, if it looks like it's to good to be true?
Good luck

OP
OP
E

EMnuke123

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see the problem. Someone stole 6th gear. It's posted as only a 5 speed.:)Other than that, looks like a steal. Remember how the old saying goes, if it looks like it's to good to be true?
Good luck

haha.. ya and it says it has anti-lock brakes

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks sweet.
I wonder how after 20k miles the front bumper and air dam appear entirely blemish-free. Nary a scuff or stone-chip. Repainted (not that it's a negative)?

Funny you mention the paint on the car. Got an email back from the guy I know. He said "all he (the owner) does is buy cheap repainted cars" and "I wouldn't buy anything from there after seeing the work they do". My friend was fired from there, so some of that may be some leftover anger from losing his job. My advice would be to keep looking and if that is the best deal you can find, get someone to check it out and get it on a lift to look for any frame damage

OP
OP
E

EMnuke123

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks man.. my first instinct was to stay away and now that ive heard that im just gonna wait, i wasnt really ready to buy yet anyway

thanks everyone for there help... this forum is the ****, i love it

Burntrubber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
looks good, frame recall is normal.
If its repainted and the paint looks good then all the better.
bring it to a local tech. I bought mine with 43k on it, I am the 5th owner of mine!
eventually mine will need to be repainted, and tranny, engine, amongst other things!!!

ViperJay

Viper Owner
Reaction score
a vca member is selling his 01 gts for 46.9k. its mint but i dont think his ad is up in classifieds yet.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Emnuke123, Check out www.premiercars.com I bought my Viper there from Chris G. They have a '97 GTS Blue w/ white stripes right now. It only has 4500 miles on it! However its going for $54,500. I know they do financeing though. They have some of the best looking vipers I have ever seen. Great service from them. :)

OP
OP
E

EMnuke123

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks guys but im just gonna wait till i have more money saved up.. i cant get financed for that much because im only 22 years old and make about as much in a year as the car is going to cost me. but in october i should on the mad hunt for my very own viper.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks guys but im just gonna wait till i have more money saved up.. i cant get financed for that much because im only 22 years old and make about as much in a year as the car is going to cost me. but in october i should on the mad hunt for my very own viper.

Great, just what we need another young Viper owner :rolleyes: You should wait until your older to buy one. I waited until I was almost 24 ;) :D It was a combination b-day, college graduation, failed engagement present to myself

Signed,

Why do I feel so old even though I'm only 27?

Last edited:

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Oct, Nov, and Dec are the best times to buy a car price wise, especially vipers. Get your $'s together and be ready to pull the trigger fast on a nice car. Learn all you can between now and then, what to look for, market prices, insurance, etc. Lots of folks are on the hunt for nice B/W's coupe's. If you post "is this a good deal? " and it is, it will be gone before the first response. Happy hunting and good luck!

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think that's a smart decision. You don't want to be up to your eyeballs in debt for a toy and it'll be that much sweeter when you do save up enough to purchase it. October will be here before you know it. :2tu:

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be careful about buying from dealers that promise "Perfect cars"
I drive by a body shop every day that has exotic cars there quite often and with dealers company ad Plates on them (not naming any) take today for instance. there was a red and yellow Ferrari getting some work done. there are exotic dealers here and they wont tell you all. All of you know it near impossible to own a viper and not have some scuffing on the front fascia if you have driven it. when there is no scuffing.....beware...touch up or damage? never buy without putting it up on a lift and giving a good going over.
thats my .02

OP
OP
E

EMnuke123

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks guys for all of you support. its going to be really hard to wait but i think i can do it, ive always pussed out too soon but not this time im gonna wait and its gonna be totally worth it..

i do have a question though.. ive been watching these forums for a while now and i have only heard of one viper actually blowing the engine due to a bad tune.. it doesnt seem like the viper really has many problems when it comes to the engine. so when checking out a viper to buy how good of an idea is it to take it to a viper tech to look at?

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks guys for all of you support. its going to be really hard to wait but i think i can do it, ive always pussed out too soon but not this time im gonna wait and its gonna be totally worth it..

i do have a question though.. ive been watching these forums for a while now and i have only heard of one viper actually blowing the engine due to a bad tune.. it doesnt seem like the viper really has many problems when it comes to the engine. so when checking out a viper to buy how good of an idea is it to take it to a viper tech to look at?

Extrememly good idea ASSuming it is done by somebody like Chuck Tator or Tom Sessions.

V

Venomiss

so when checking out a viper to buy how good of an idea is it to take it to a viper tech to look at?

Worth it's weight in gold. Better to find out before you buy what you are getting into that could be a very costly fix without a warranty. Meet some other Viper owners before buying may give you a few $$tips that will save you later. Good luck in your search.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so when checking out a viper to buy how good of an idea is it to take it to a viper tech to look at?

I almost bought a low mile 94' from an exotic dealership in FL...I requested they take it to a Viper tech to be checked out 1st...he found over $10k in problems!! The exotic dealership refused to pay for any of the repairs, (they told me they'd sale it at auction before they spent that much repairing it) so I obviously didn't buy it.

Found my 96' RT/10 on AutoTrader...requested the owner take it to a Viper tech. It checked out perfect, I bought it :D

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hi,

I have been searching too (taking a break). I can tell you this...45k is not a "red flag" for a 22k b/w right now in this market. I think there there was/is a b/w with amazing paint and overall excellent condition on here listed at 45k on here. Typically the cars here go for a little higher and u have an overall sense of "security" when buying from VCA. Personally, I am going for the best deal and I think you should aggressively look through autotrader, cars.com and craigslist if you are on a budget (like myself).

Ask yourself if you HAVE to have b/w as those command the highest premium. Also see if you would want to get into a 97 instead. I THINK 97 go a little lower in price and to my knowledge the only difference is that the striping does not go through the license plate (no biggie). FYI I saw a mint 97 with 9k miles that was sitting at 46k and no buyer. It is YOUR market right now so take your time and buy when ready. If anything the market is going to get a little dryer before it gets better.

BTW..i am not trying trying to offend any owners about the value of their cars just trying to help a member find the best deal in a very bad market. cheers.

pigcorn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
True. I saw a BW 96 with 9200 mile on it asking $44k on autotrader. The owner was a collector of extoic cars and had every record on the car carfax was clean, etc.. It went quick.

You will see that the dealers\owners that list similar cars for $10-$15k more are the same cars that have been for sale for well over a year. Amazing to see the ones with around or just below 10,000 miles that are at $59,xxxx, I wonder if they expect someone to call and say for starters you are probably $10,000 off...

Point is to wait and the right car will come along at the right price.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang