front end sliding .. .. Anyone experience this ?

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone ever experience front end sliding when driving aggresively on the street ? I'll take some corners really hard messing around trying to get the rear end to slide out but the rear end plants and it's actually the front end that will slide.. ... :confused: :confused:

Is it the run flats that cause this ?

G

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Understeer. In neutral power turns (yeh right when does that happen) there is a little bit of a push. Not much though and you could dial it out a bit with lessened front pressure and increased rear pressure.

More normally though I have been experiencing the inside rear tire slip and then snap oversteer due to the hydraulic diff locking. When cold (something you may never have to deal with) I have experienced significant inside tire spin without the expected outside tire transition (like the diff is not trying to lock up anymore). Maybe the hydraulic diff is damaged but I will not know until next year.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GR8_ASP --

Nice call sign by the way. Actually, my understanding is that to decrease push or understeer, one would need to increase tire pressure in the front tires while decreasing pressures in the rears.

See www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=58

/Rich

That is a very generic guide. It's assuming where both front/rear PSI is originally. If Gerald has too much front PSI then the tire is bulging in the center and losing front tire traction causing it to push.

Gerald, ideally take a pyrometer and check temps across the tire and go from there. As luck would have it, you happen to know someone with a pyrometer.

You're not thinking of joining the drifting crowd are you?

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you increase the front tire pressure or lower the rear tire pressure you will get rid of the understeer or push in the front of the car. What you are doing is transfering a little weight to your rear tires by doing this. If you go to far you will end up with oversteer or a loose condition.Start out with 2 psi at a time and make sure your tires are up to temperture. I prefer to set tire pressures hot only as the outside temperture changes you tire pressure between cold and hot on account of the tires being filled with air. In race cars we do not use air in the tires for this reason. I hope this helps.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck 98 RT/10 --

You are correct. My post assumes a starting tire pressure of 29 psi for all tires per the OEM recommendations from Dodge and Michelin. I would imagine, however, that even having slightly higher than stock pressure such as in the 32-36 range, that the tire rack chart guidelines would still apply; but yes, inflating a tire near its maximum cold sidewall pressure (I think its 51 psi for the original generation Pilot Sports) would be a bad thing unless you are really obsessed with improved fuel economy.

/Rich

quick2tr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gerald,

I don't get understeer on the street even when driving "aggressive". Lower speed turns with 29-31psi all around should have the car's rear "stepping out+" linked to your throttle. Only on the track after 3-4 corners do the rears start grabbing more than the fronts.

If tire pressures are all within range, I would be suspicious, maybe out-of-spec suspension alignments have altered the car's stock handling characteristics.

OP
OP
G

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks 4 the replies.. I'll check my tire pressure on all and report back... It will be interesting to note at what pressure people will see the front end start to slide instead of the rear.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960