front wheel hop

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quick question. Yesterday I took my car out in 20 degree weather. At one point in a parking lot I had to cut the wheel hard to the left and slowly inch past someone who couldn't drive. While doing this I noticed my right front wheel felt like it was hopping, almost like I had a flat or it was riding on the edge of the rim. When I had a chance I tried it again and also in the opposite direction, same thing. Is this normal, was it due to the cold or do I have a problem? I only have 332 miles on the car so I'm guess the car is fine for I bought it new and it hasn't hit a curb, *** hole etc. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. P.S. It's a 2006 coupe. Thanks

OP
OP
C

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: wheel hop

Could have scrolled down a few posts.

Thanks Austin, but their is a difference between the front wheels and the rear wheels... :bonker:

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Compcoup21, any signs of the front tires rubbing when at full lock in either direction? Car lowered? Good luck..

OP
OP
C

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Compcoup21, any signs of the front tires rubbing when at full lock in either direction? Car lowered? Good luck..

I wouldn't think so John, going full lock to lock shouldn't allow rub and the car is bone stock. The car came to me via enclosed trailer but I checked the tie downs before he unhooked and they were at the factory hold down points.
Maybe it's rotation hop (one wheel spinning more the the other), I'm not sure and that's why I'm looking for some feedback. Appreciate yours...Dan

Grunt

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I wouldn't think so John, going full lock to lock shouldn't allow rub and the car is bone stock. The car came to me via enclosed trailer but I checked the tie downs before he unhooked and they were at the factory hold down points.
Maybe it's rotation hop (one wheel spinning more the the other), I'm not sure and that's why I'm looking for some feedback. Appreciate yours...Dan

At low speeds with wide wheels you will feel a chopping in the front as the tire slides through the turn. It happens in all weather types.

So, it can be normal if its what I discribed.

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Could have scrolled down a few posts.

Thanks Austin, but their is a difference between the front wheels and the rear wheels... :bonker:

Sorry, didnt read the thread, just noticed it had the same THREAD TITLE as yours. Its obvious Im not the only one who didnt read the thread before making a post. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
C

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score

At low speeds with wide wheels you will feel a chopping in the front as the tire slides through the turn. It happens in all weather types.

That's sort of what I was hoping to hear but wanted to get the Viper community feedback for it's the best way to get knowledge about your ride!

Thanks Grunt and it's cool Austin, my bad!!!

viperjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My "03 does the same front wheel hop/thump only if the front wheels are turned to the extreme. When I back out of my garage I always notice it. At first I thought it was the posi unit's clutches unloading but later attributed it to the front wheels. Glad to hear its "normal".

Jim

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I feel weird stuff when I turn sharp a low speed. It could be the fact that the front tires are so wide that one side of the tire has to travel farther than the other side so it "hops" to catch up.

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My "03 does the same front wheel hop/thump only if the front wheels are turned to the extreme. When I back out of my garage I always notice it. At first I thought it was the posi unit's clutches unloading but later attributed it to the front wheels. Glad to hear its "normal".

Jim

that's funny mine does it as well when pulling out of the garage and locking the wheel to the left, I fell like the front is slideing a little.

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That's sort of what I was hoping to hear but wanted to get the Viper community feedback for it's the best way to get knowledge about your ride!

Thanks Grunt and it's cool Austin, my bad!!!

Check your PM's.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

the run flat tires take a real long time to come up to temperature, longer than the Michelin NON Run Flats. I would try running 32 psi all around if you are running run flats. I found this works out real well on the street. If you have Michelin NON Run Flats I have found that 34 front and 30 rear is great on the street