Fuel Filter?

Dv8tor

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I didn't see anything about it in the owners manual, but do Vipers have a fuel filter? If so, where is it? Thanks.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your model year, the filter should be in the tank, with the fuel pump.

No, don't believe so. I thought that they were all the same thru 2002. Look behind the left rear wheel towards the middle. It is not very fun to switch out and you will get gas all over, so wear some worn out work cloths :crazy:

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my 01 "RT" has the filter like Mike said behind the left wheel fender. Not much fun to change. Donno if the GTS is different.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my 01 "RT" has the filter like Mike said behind the left wheel fender.

No kidding? I wouldn't think that the GTS and the RT/10 would be different at all with fuel plumbing. Hey, I could be wrong.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my 01 "RT" has the filter like Mike said behind the left wheel fender. Not much fun to change. Donno if the GTS is different.

My 99 RT has it there as well

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stu,

99's definitely have it there. I was surprised that the '01 had an in-line filter instead of an integrated filter with the fuel module.

EDIT: Note that the parts catalog for the '00 and the '01 have no part number for a fuel filter. The '02 does. The '00 shop manual also says that the fuel filter is not serviceable. So, I am a bit confused as to the existence of in-line fuel filters on '00 and '01 model years.

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How often should it be changed? Mine's a 2000 RT/10 with 30,000 miles, and as far as I know, it is the original.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How often should it be changed? Mine's a 2000 RT/10 with 30,000 miles, and as far as I know, it is the original.

Thought it was every 12,000 or annually. Anybody know for sure, should be in the owners manual. :p

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car is in the shop all week, so I thought I might get them to do it while it is in there. Owner's manual is in the car....

OP
OP
D

Dv8tor

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well... I went to Autozone to get plugs and saw fuel filter on the list of available parts, so I bought one. It's definately an inline. Swaping out the fuel filter definately made my Cobra run a little better after I swapped it. Not looking forward to getting gas all over me though. Anyone have a match?

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My fuel filter is behind the left wheel as well.

Chech in the back where it gives you a schedule of the services. It has an "A" schedule and a "B" schedule. I use the "B" schedule, just because ;)

OP
OP
D

Dv8tor

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chech in the back where it gives you a schedule of the services. It has an "A" schedule and a "B" schedule. I use the "B" schedule, just because ;)

I just looked through that part of the manual again and didn't see it anywhere.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you do this search posts on tips to remove the connection. I haven't done it but I hear you'll drive yourself nuts if you haven't researched it.

ViperDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Push the line and filter towards each other, hold the plastic ring/insert on the connector back towards what its fixed to(ie line or filter depending which end your doing) and then separate line and filter whilst holding the plastic ring under compression.

Simple eh? Well I know what i mean.

The point being that pushing the components together releases the lock on the joint, holding the ring/insert back stops it from re locking when you pull them apart again.

Oh and fuel will go everywhere as stated above. I thought i was siphoning out the tank so much came out. It did stop eventually just as i was really starting to think i was emptying the tank.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget to releive the fuel pressure. Lessens the amount of fuel that will pour all over you.

definetly helps. I just pulled the relay as the car was running and let it run dry.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't done one on my Viper, since I didn't think I had one. But if it's like all the other not-so-quick disconnects, there is a plastic tool that usually comes in packs of 4 different sizes. AC/Fuel quick disconnect tool, which are just sleeved plastic O rings (looks like a flat plastic washer with a cylinder coming out of the middle) and split on one side. They are usually like $4.00.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang