Fuel system upgrade

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried the stock Supra pump as a replacement?
The walbro is rated at 255gph but the stock Supra pump is actually rated higher, around 280gph and it is very reliable since it is a Denso pump. The RX-7 guys like the Supra pump as there have been numerous walbro failures.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried the stock Supra pump as a replacement?
The walbro is rated at 255gph but the stock Supra pump is actually rated higher, around 280gph and it is very reliable since it is a Denso pump. The RX-7 guys like the Supra pump as there have been numerous walbro failures.

Does it physically look like a 255.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The idea of three pumps scares me a little. What if one pump goes bad? how would you know?

If you have the hp that needs three pumps you would be foolish if you did not log fuel pressure. I have been logging fuel pressure for some time and I believe it has solved some major issues on my car. As an example, I am running (2) 175 hp hits of nitrous and I started having a wild oscillation in fuel pressure when the second solenoid came in. The log showed the pressure eventually going static, therefore, it wasn't the fuel pump, it was a short period of fluid resonance. I put a fuel damper in the system and it solved the problem. My point, logging fuel pressure is a necessity when increasing power.

vipzilla

Viper Owner
Reaction score
how much hp are you dynoing? Stock pump should support 600-650 Hp with Gen 2 injectors for limited bursts. You have two sides to this equation volume and pressure. The 55 # is need to only to properly atomize the fuel into the manifold. The volume is what is required to support Hp. (Gal per min) Do you have a fuel pressure gage and an external regulator? If you did you can tell if your running out of pump if your fuel pressure drops excessively when under boost.

well i have my stock fuel pump and 2 exernal pumps my last dyno was 724rwhp 791torgue

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well i have my stock fuel pump and 2 exernal pumps my last dyno was 724rwhp 791torgue

you need rails and bigger injectors, you should look at 50# high imp. injectors. A couple guys are now selling rails (AB, CPE) Those gen 2 injectors are not going to give you enough fuel for 700 plus hp. What size fuel line do you have?

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
My biggest concern with all these aftermarket fuel systems is they do not let you run less than a 1/4 of gas without fuel starvation issues in corners.

The best setup is to use the production fuel pump module "bucket" with a dedicate pump to keep it full all the time, then have an external pump and a pickup going into the module.

vipzilla

Viper Owner
Reaction score
you need rails and bigger injectors, you should look at 50# high imp. injectors. A couple guys are now selling rails (AB, CPE) Those gen 2 injectors are not going to give you enough fuel for 700 plus hp. What size fuel line do you have?

some lines are stock and some are bigger that was added any phone # for the best place for rails and injectors

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My biggest concern with all these aftermarket fuel systems is they do not let you run less than a 1/4 of gas without fuel starvation issues in corners.

The best setup is to use the production fuel pump module "bucket" with a dedicate pump to keep it full all the time, then have an external pump and a pickup going into the module.

good and bad both ways. External pumps tend to overheat as they are not immersed in fuel and shut down. I think the best is using the stock canister and adding pumps, the stock canister has enough sump to avoid the fuel starvation around corners.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i got 2 intank pumps that DLM installed. he told me never let it go below 1/2 tank if im gonna boost. so i dont.