Fuel Tank Size Question

Vip23er

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 2003 Viper SRT10. The manual shows the size of the fuel tank is 18.5 gallons. I have driven the car until the fuel light comes on and then when I fill up, the most I have put in is 14 gallons. Do they really have a 18.5 gallon tank? I cannot figure out why I am not putting more in when the tank seems to be almost empty.

Chopper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2003 Viper SRT10. The manual shows the size of the fuel tank is 18.5 gallons. I have driven the car until the fuel light comes on and then when I fill up, the most I have put in is 14 gallons. Do they really have a 18.5 gallon tank? I cannot figure out why I am not putting more in when the tank seems to be almost empty.
I had pretty much the same thing the other day. Mines an 06 coupe.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Super Duty which has a 29 gallon tank, if I drive it until the needle is pegged below empty, will only take 23 gallons.

I think all cars have huge cushions build in, making 1/4 of the tank useless.

GRNBGON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 08 Owners Manual states 16 gals. With the needle in the low side of the red, it takes about 15.5 gals. Not much of a cushion there or is the tank actually larger?:omg:

Roadrunner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
2008 tanks are smaller than the 2003 through 2006 due to regulatory changes. Again thank your politians...

The reserves are generally set to give you 50 miles after the low fuel warning goes off... so if you figure a average city drive might be 15mpg... you'd need over 3 gallons reserve to make that 50 miles. So yes, the cushions are large.

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly...the huge cushions are built in because of warranty repairs. If a fuel pump goes out, it's much more costly to repair. So the cushions keep some idiots to driving it until the car cuts off. Again, in a Viper with 12-15mpg, the cushion would be about 3-4 gallons. My Acura (DD) gets about 25mpg, so the fuel light comes on with about 2 gallons left - see the comparison?