Fun non-racing thing to do in you Viper

monnieh

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Pick your second grader up at school! I am home this week on vacation so I told my 7 year old I would pick him up in the Viper when school was out.

The jaw dropping stares, pointing and unguarded excitment from the kids seeing my ACR in line with the sport utes and mini vans was just great.

Do yourself a favor, pick you kid up from school in your Viper, heck it would be worth taking a day off just so you could! :usa:

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
My daughter got extremely embarrassed when I did that. She hates to look different than the crowd. Heck, when I was a boy, I'd be thrilled if my dad picked me up in a nice car!

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree-it is great. I or my wife have done it several times, his friends and their parents loved to come over and talk. Once we pulled over to the side and I took pictures of different kids in the car with my digital camera and mailed them copies.

Spread a little 'Viper joy' and do it.

Bill

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vic- we all know your still a 'big kid' ;) Ok, I am too!

monnieh- Exactly! I love picking up my 1st grader in the car and my 4 y/o at pre-school. I also like getting the thumbs up from the dads in the mini-v's. My daughters love it right now too, but I'm sure by high school age they'll ask me to drop them off around the block.

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My daughter complains about guys recognizing her as the girl who has the father that drives a Viper.

I saw two teenage guys walk by my car. At the same time there was this gorgeous women walking by. They didn't even notice her, but could not keep their eyes off the car.

Because they're not making the Viper like they used to, I think the car is going to get even more noticed when you go out.

I think I get as many or more stares now as I did when I got the car 4 years ago.

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I picked my son up from a dance & one fine looking mother walked by with her daughter & asked if she could come home with me. The days of being single....dont really miss them.

My son turns 15 this march & gets a learners permit, i'm already nervous!

Andy

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to get off-topic, but kinda scares you the values she is teaching her daughter if the mom is like that...( And not if it were a joke. )

rae661

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a topic I have been wondering about for awhile. My kids--ten year old twin boys--think nothing of the viper--"Oh -- dad's car---ooowww--yea right--I like the P.T. Cruiser" I hear this all the time. Their friends are mostly in awe of the car and treat it with respect. How can you teach your kids that this is something special and not your everyday car?

Does anyone else get this reaction from their kids....

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, even though I don't have kids, or a car, it's basic for us all. You can't make a Viper fan love a Corvette. Know what I mean?

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a topic I have been wondering about for awhile. My kids--ten year old twin boys--think nothing of the viper--"Oh -- dad's car---ooowww--yea right--I like the P.T. Cruiser" I hear this all the time. Their friends are mostly in awe of the car and treat it with respect. How can you teach your kids that this is something special and not your everyday car?

be afraid! I'm sure they'll come around at some point. I got hooked on cars when my dad would take me for blasts in his 66 Hemi Coronet 500 when I was 3 or 4 right before bed time.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Similar scenerio:

If you work for the man (corporate world), then bring your Viper to work when it is, "Bring you kids to work day." I had about 20 kids in the parking lot at lunch. Started the car, revved the motor, etc... I let all of them sit in the car and took digital pictures. All boys from age 10-15. Nothing like spreading the joy....

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those of you not getting a reaction from your kids yet, wait for high school, they will get it then. And pick your kid up at a high school in a Viper and you can cause a near riot. Kids will get OFF the buses and miss their ride to see the car, even if you try and get there early and kinda hide the car off to one side. My daughter went to a pretty big high school, 2500 or so. One of the funniest times I remember was sneaking out before the buses left, you're not supposed to do that, 2 lane exit drive, passing 20 or so buses lined up full of kids with the windows in the buses all open and screammming their heads off! Shouda seen the nasty looks I got from the teacher patrol! I'm also lucky my daughter thought it was funny too!

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score

GRIN - make em pay for anything they want out of money they've had to EARN themselves - that'll teach them the value of money and to stop taking daddy's success for granted. Next - when safe to do so - stomp on the gas somewhere and let them experience a little of what 3 times the PT motor is all about ;-)

If that don't scare the heck out of them or thrill them to pieces - check their pulse - the aliens have abducted their fun glands. :p

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My daughter got extremely embarrassed when I did that. She hates to look different than the crowd. Heck, when I was a boy, I'd be thrilled if my dad picked me up in a nice car!

LOL! Hey Vic - when I am in LA - I promise that I will not be embarrassed to hop in the Viper with you :D :D :D

watofastvette

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, even though I don't have kids, or a car, it's basic for us all. You can't make a Viper fan love a Corvette. Know what I mean?

Yes you can I own a C5 And i love the viper ...Hope to get one in the next few years :D

TomH

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 12 year old daughter would rather ride in my 85' GMC van than the viper, I think it is the attention the viper draws. I asked her what her favorite car was and she told me it was a Saturn [her mom's car], when I asked why she told me "because it is fast". I've always driven very carefully with her in the car while mom thinks she is a NASCAR driver. Maybe I'll take her out sometime and show her what my slow viper can do. :D

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have a boy around 15-16 yrs old? How are you handeling letting them drive your viper? I figure I will have to teach him a lot of respect for this car quick!

Andy

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My daughter doesn't want me near the school with the car. She says that as it is, all the kids know I have it, and they bug her all day with questions that she can't answer. If I were to show up, they'd never leave her alone. At least I corrected her on the H.P. She actually told them 200H.P. ! I can't have that!

Andrew

Timmer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ya, I have a son who just got his drivers license this week. I let him drive my viper several times while he had his permit. I told him that if he learned how to drive a stick in a different car, I'd let him drive the viper. He immediately found someone with a VW stick and learned how to drive it.

I will not let him drive it alone now that he has his license. It is too tempting for me so how can I expect him not to want to horse around.

I did make him a promise that if he keeps his act together and his grades up, I will let him drive it to his senior prom next year.

As for my 13 year old daughter - She begs me to take the viper whenever I have to drop her off at school, dance, soccer, chatecism etc.

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya'll are more trusting than I am.

When we go out of town I padlock the garage door, put the Viper keys in my safe deposit box, mark the tires with chalk, put a sticky note on the steering wheel with the exact mileage and remind him he once had an older brother that tried to get the Viper out.

I remember what I as like as a kid! :eek: :eek:

Bill

Sam 01 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 11 year old daughter loves going for rides in the car.
She loves to look around, and see people checking out the car. She tells me, "Go faster, dad!".
:)
My 7 year old son isn't as into it, but it may just be the age.
:confused:
I did take my friend's son for a spin, he got a big kick out of the ride.
:)
He enjoyed it so much his parents put the pic in thier avitar on our message board.
http://www.lvfbody.com/forum/avatar.php?userid=50&dateline=1061252214
Making a child happy is definately one of the better things you can do with the car.

TSR6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tim - My dad let me have the keys to the Viper for prom ( with less than 2k on it at, talk about trusting. :) ) It's something I will never forget. The rest of Prom didn't go as planned, and honestly, the my favorite part of the whole prom experiance was leaving.

There was a huge line at the exit, and I was just sitting off to the side waiting for it to clear out. I had several cars stop, hold up the line for me, and wave me out. I don't doubt they were expecting a show..

I also had quite a few guys trying to show off to thier prom dates by racing me down the highway. There is nothing as stupid as racing on prom night, obviously the cops were thick. I'd snap the throttle to get a smile ( or two...or four.. :p ), but kept it within reasonable speeds. :)

As far as learning with another car, I first learned to drive a stick with the Viper in a mall parking lot, I don't even think it had 500miles on it. :) My dad rocks ;)

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TSR6, my stepdad would go out of town with my mom & give me the keys to his new 79 vett & say don't tell your mother. Like you some of my best memories were in that car. I think I will eventually let him drve it an hour or so at a time....

Andy

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
............and not your everyday car?

But the Viper IS my everyday car......... literally I drive it every day!

Our 5 year old son would prefer to ride in mommy's Expedition (because that is usually where the Spongebob music is)......... last week I took David to soccer practice...a couple of the other kids were going to blow a gasket if they didn't get to look at "the race car"... so I let them sit in the Viper and play for a few moments....... David doesn't get why the big deal over the Viper?

He will.

S

sachin

Last year my family had an 01 Rt/10, my dad drove it maybe 2 times and the rest of the times my brothers and I drove it (oldest bro 23, I'm youngest at 19), took it by my highschool one day, I was known for having a decent ride always cuz of my Dad's in the business and I have taken a few corvettes and an xk8 drop top before. But still, EVERYONE stares at you, never got that kind of attention in any of the corvettes, mustangs, jag's etc. Gave it a nice blast in 1st gear on my way out and everyone was in shock lol. You can trust your kids if they learn to respect the cars. It takes a lot of time for a kid to learn to handle that kind of power, I went up slowly, went from 16 second civics to 15 second neons, 14 second jag's, 13 & 12 second done up talon and finally got into z06 and viper area :) If your kid wants to drive the car, make him pay insurance and gas on it :p

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456