Funny Dealer Story, I'm still laughing

viperjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Funny Dealer Story, I\'m still laughing

I will not pay over sticker for a car that is still in production! They are going to make many more and at some point the pent up demand will be satisfied

The ironic part about the whole situation is Ford could have raised the sticker price of the GT500 and the GT40 20% and sold the same amount of cars. Maybe their financial issues would be less. The same could be said for GM and the Z06.
Jim

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I will not pay over sticker for a car that is still in production! They are going to make many more and at some point the pent up demand will be satisfied

The ironic part about the whole situation is Ford could have raised the sticker price of the GT500 and the GT40 20% and sold the same amount of cars. Maybe their financial issues would be less. The same could be said for GM and the Z06.
Jim

I dunno. What's GM's total annual revenue? I don't think increasing the price of such low production vehicles is gonna make much difference.

However, if Ford would have committed long term to the GT40 and re-established it's place in history they might have been able to get between 200-300K for it, maybe more.

Mike Dolan

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Well when I first looked at the Viper I climbed in and asked where the switch was to move the pedals back. The salesman told me that only came on the Vipers that had automatic transmissions.

I didn't buy from him, another dealer seemed a bit more knowledgable and less inclined to try the BS approach.

By the way, that was last Feb, and of course the first dealer was asking 15K over MSRP. What an idiot.

Fortunately I found a good dealer, and although he was in Nebraska and I live in California it was worth the time & what a terrific trip back over the rockies in a new Viper.

Regards,
Mike Dolan

viperjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've got one more dealer story to add.
My buddy bought a new Z06 from a local Chevy dealer. His family owns a tire shop so he put some high dollar, very recognizable wheels on the Corvette. He stopped by my house a month later on the way up to the dealer and conned me into going with him to have a piece of door weatherstripping replaced. The dealer said it would only take 15 minutes so I thought the ride would be worth it. We dropped the car off at the service lanes and quickly proceeded into the showroom to check out what goodies that were on display. We ended up talking to the salesman who sold him the Z06 and a guy I believe was the GM of the dealership. As we stood there talking, I was looking out the dealership windows- I was getting bored with the Corvette stories- and noticed my friends car. Replacing a small strip of weatherstripping does not require a test drive. That was determined at the time of dropping the car off. The dealership showroom has big glass windows in front- like most dealerships- and overlooks a fairly busy road. So when my buddies Z06 drove by I was surprised and elbowed him. I think we both simultaneously looked at the Dealership GM with a "W.T.F. look". The dealership driveway goes up a slight hill before it reaches the main road. His Z06 stopped on the incline at the stop sign, hesitated, increased revs, and then dumped the clutch. The Corvette stood still as the rear tires started smoking. The car then started slowly moving up the hill and spinning onto the main road. As the smoke started to clear, we could hear the car screaming away from the dealership. I had never seen my buddies face turn red before. The only thing redder was the face of the Dealership GM. All four of us just stood there in amazement. The GM ran to the nearest phone and started to scream at the service manager. 30 seconds later he came running into the showroom as my buddy started to pace like a new father waiting for a baby to be delivered. The service manager frantically tried to contact the mechanic who was in my friends' car. As he dials a second time we could hear and then see the Z06 go flying by the dealership going the opposite way. He must have been doing over 100mph in a 40 zone. At this point I thought my friend was going to lose it. Several minutes later the mechanic answers his cell phone, says some choice words to the Service Manager, quits his job, and tells him the car is in a mall a few blocks down the road.
The ending to this story is my friends sister is a lawyer. He ended up getting several sets of new tires, oil changes for life, the dealership purchased a bumper to bumper warranty for the car. In exchange, he had to sign a nondisclosure agreement.
Whats the moral to this tale? I don't know.
And BTW, he has not gone back to the dealer for any of the free oil changes.

Jim

05Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

When I went shopping for my Viper there was only one local, a few miles north. When I got there they had a red 04 all roped off. They really didn't want me to touch it, and to sit in it was like pulling teeth, a test drive out of the question. I guess I am just not the viper looking type because they then steared me toward the Crossfire. I said have a nice day then prompty drove to Mobile AL and the treatment at Mark Dodge there was completely different. They had three on the floor. The salesman I spoke to on the phone had them clear a path and out for a test drive we went. I bought it that day. He had his son come in, they got one of the other vehicles on the lot and I drove the viper, the saleman drove my truck and his son followed back to my home in Florida. I had both of my vehicles home and they left. I call that service. As for the Dealership in Florida, I went back the following day and showed off my new 05. Funny, everyone came out to look at it except the Salesman and Manager from the day before and I made sure everyone knew what happened. That felt great. I don't think I need a suit to shop for cars and maybe they know it too, now! :bonker:

05Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

When I went shopping for my Viper there was only one local, a few miles north. When I got there they had a red 04 all roped off. They really didn't want me to touch it, and to sit in it was like pulling teeth, a test drive out of the question. I guess I am just not the viper looking type because they then steared me toward the Crossfire. I said have a nice day then prompty drove to Mobile AL and the treatment at Mark Dodge there was completely different. They had three on the floor. The salesman I spoke to on the phone had them clear a path and out for a test drive we went. I bought it that day. He had his son come in, they got one of the other vehicles on the lot and I drove the viper, the saleman drove my truck and his son followed back to my home in Florida. I had both of my vehicles home and they left. I call that service. As for the Dealership in Florida, I went back the following day and showed off my new 05. Funny, everyone came out to look at it except the Salesman and Manager from the day before and I made sure everyone knew what happened. That felt great. I don't think I need a suit to shop for cars and maybe they know it too, now!

JB/SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Several minutes later the mechanic answers his cell phone, says some choice words to the Service Manager, quits his job, and tells him the car is in a mall a few blocks down the road.

Wonder what the mechanic would have thought about an auto theft charge.

OP
OP
D

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wow, these are some wild stories ... if I say my car burnout & take off I'd probably pass out. Talk about feeling violated, geesh.

D.

viperDoug

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My buddy bought a new Z06 from a local Chevy dealer. His family owns a tire shop so he put some high dollar, very recognizable wheels on the Corvette. He stopped by my house a month later on the way up to the dealer and conned me into going with him to have a piece of door weatherstripping replaced. The dealer said it would only take 15 minutes so I thought the ride would be worth it. We dropped the car off at the service lanes and quickly proceeded into the showroom to check out what goodies that were on display. We ended up talking to the salesman who sold him the Z06 and a guy I believe was the GM of the dealership. As we stood there talking, I was looking out the dealership windows- I was getting bored with the Corvette stories- and noticed my friends car. Replacing a small strip of weatherstripping does not require a test drive. That was determined at the time of dropping the car off. The dealership showroom has big glass windows in front- like most dealerships- and overlooks a fairly busy road. So when my buddies Z06 drove by I was surprised and elbowed him. I think we both simultaneously looked at the Dealership GM with a "W.T.F. look". The dealership driveway goes up a slight hill before it reaches the main road. His Z06 stopped on the incline at the stop sign, hesitated, increased revs, and then dumped the clutch. The Corvette stood still as the rear tires started smoking. The car then started slowly moving up the hill and spinning onto the main road. As the smoke started to clear, we could hear the car screaming away from the dealership. I had never seen my buddies face turn red before. The only thing redder was the face of the Dealership GM. All four of us just stood there in amazement. The GM ran to the nearest phone and started to scream at the service manager. 30 seconds later he came running into the showroom as my buddy started to pace like a new father waiting for a baby to be delivered. The service manager frantically tried to contact the mechanic who was in my friends' car. As he dials a second time we could hear and then see the Z06 go flying by the dealership going the opposite way. He must have been doing over 100mph in a 40 zone. At this point I thought my friend was going to lose it. Several minutes later the mechanic answers his cell phone, says some choice words to the Service Manager, quits his job, and tells him the car is in a mall a few blocks down the road.
The ending to this story is my friends sister is a lawyer. He ended up getting several sets of new tires, oil changes for life, the dealership purchased a bumper to bumper warranty for the car. In exchange, he had to sign a nondisclosure agreement.

Jim

Please disclose the name of that dealership. I live in MD and I wouldn't be surprised if it was Criswell in Gaithersburg. Although they don't really have a hill out of their lot.

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score

Oh my god! LOL!!!! That is one funny story!!

Jim

viperjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jim

Please disclose the name of that dealership. I live in MD and I wouldn't be surprised if it was Criswell in Gaithersburg. Although they don't really have a hill out of their lot.

Sorry I can't tell what dealership it was as my friend signed a letter stating he would not disclose the incident in return for the warranty and tires. I don't want it to come back and bite him. But it was NOT Criswell. They have sponsored our Corvette club for 20 years and I have bought several commercial trucks from them. I have always found my experience with them about what I expected. Nothing better, nothing worse.

Viperdoug- I am sending you a PM tonight
Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi