Gas Gauge Question

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Filled up my 02 GTS yesterday on the way home from work and it took 14 gallons to fill up from "E". I was reading through the owners manual and it states the car holds 18 gallons. I tried the search option but nothing came up on this topic, so here is my question, "Does the car have a 4 gallon reserve when on empty or does the gas needle go to the left of E"? I don't want to run out of gas on the highway in a Viper, I can picture the thread on that one! Not much forgiveness on here for bonehead mistakes!;) All in good fun of course. It looks like the tiny gas pump in the gas gauge has a light in it like my wifes car does once you get low enough on fuel it illuminates but I'm not sure. Thanks. Jeff

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the joys of Gen II's. My 01 will show empty with 4 gallons sometimes 3 gallons sometimes 6 gallons.it's similar to my wife in that respect.My advice is to appreciate it for the beautiful lady it is and don't try to figure it out
or understand it just enjoy!:dunno::dunno:

Viperguynick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep in mind also that the fuel in the tank assists in cooling the fuel pump, I try not to let mine drop below 1/2 in any of my vehicles for that simple reason. Keeping the pump submerged in fuel will keep it cooler, which should, in theory at least, extend it's serviceable life.

:usa: Nick :usa:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive let mine go down to E on the dot purposely twice to confirm exactly what the reserve is. For me its 3gal.
Like Nick said the fuelpump is cooled by the fuel so I like to keep her above 1/4tank

LaViper

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
:omg: My 06 fuel lite also comes on a little before " E " and requires 14 gal's to "Top Off". :dunno:

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the joys of Gen II's. My 01 will show empty with 4 gallons sometimes 3 gallons sometimes 6 gallons.it's similar to my wife in that respect.My advice is to appreciate it for the beautiful lady it is and don't try to figure it out

What he said. My GEN II does the same thing. There is no low fuel light on the GEN II's so I would not recommend waiting for one to come on. I try not to let my tank go below a quarter left as shown by the gauge.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I keep mine as close to full as possible, always ready for an 80 mile cruise.....:drive:

HHI VIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I fill mine and the guage is about a needle width from showing full. Dunno why but it is what it is!

OP
OP
M

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, thanks for all the responses, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something wrong with the sending unit. Glad to know for sure that there isn't a low fuel light to come on! Like I said earlier I don't want to be the guy in the Viper that runs out of gas on the freeway! Thanks again. Jeff :)

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't worry too much about running down to the empty mark in regards to longevity of the fuel pump. Fuel pump stays immersed in fuel courtesy of the regulator dumping excess fuel back in the basket that the pump sits in. Even when near empty, the pump is totally immersed in fuel. Like has been said...no low fuel lamp that comes on. I have experimented with the sending unit to verify this (since my other Dodge vehicles do have this indicator that illuminates/chimes). The Sending unit float (even at its lowest level) does not hit the bottom of the tank...but the pick-up does leaving about 4 gallons in the tank when the sending unit float is indicating empty. All in all a pretty good system if you ever have the opportunity to dig into it.

VIPER PIT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well my car will pass anything on the road except a gas station. Gauge has been erratic at times where it will show half a tank then mysteriously drop to 1/4. Could be the problem with the right foot.