Gas Guzzler Tax is Bogus, We're Getting Screwed.

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gas Guzzler Tax is Bogus, We\'re Getting Screwed.

I was just looking at my window sticker for my 2000 GTS and it specifies:

Estimated Annual Fuel Cost = $1351

How did they get this number?

15000 miles / year

Ave fuel economy = (12+21)/2 = 16.5 mpg

Fuel consumed = 15000/16.5 = 909 gallons/year

Backing out price per gallon => $1351/909 = $1.49 per gallon which is a reasonable national averager for 2000.

So there it is folks, we're paying a penalty that was created for ordinary passenger cars which average 15000 miles per year.

Totally bogus, we're getting screwed.

GTSFE304

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Gas Guzzler Tax is Bogus, We\'re Getting Screwed.

your analysis is mathematically sound. the problem is that the tax code can not assume that every driver will drive the vehicle 2000 miles a year, so the tax is based on mpg. Still, overall a pretty valid point.

Paul Fischer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The gas guzzler tax is an arbitrary mechanism for shaking money out of consumers, designed only to transfer money from your paycheck to the government. If you are going to tax gas guzzling you do it on the fuel itself, not a machine that may or may not consume it depending upon it's use. Might as well tax non-smokers for tobacco they don't consume on the theory it's in their best interest. Tree huggers that cluster in rural areas such as Manhattan and L.A. are famous for this type of nonsense.

The luxury car tax, and we've all heard howls from the press over the years about the Viper's overbearing luxury, was equally indefensible and is now on the ash heap of history. Penalties are designed for "ordinary" cars, people etc. You haven't heard of a luxury tax or gas guzzler tax on private jets, have you? The one on "yachts" (defined as "someone else's boat") was scrapped years ago after it decimated our domestic industry. The power to tax is the power to destroy.

Our Constitution is a one page document, it governs the greatest nation in the world and sets the standard for the rest. If only our tax code was equally succinct.

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

May I be the first to nominate Paul for President
supergrin.gif

WE need a leader that knows right from wrong when it comes to taxation.... wait it appears we already have one, yet the Democraps seem to think that the marginally producing members of society deserve to be let off the hook even more by shirking even more of their taxation burden. They are actually suggesting tax credits for citizens that don't even pay in any taxes
confused.gif

OP
OP
Tom and Vipers

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't know, but I thought I heard Bush say something like a family of "n" w/$40k annual income would get a 90% reduction in their fed income tax.

Actually that is not bad if you believe in deductions.

What I find interesting is that this sliding rate indicates that only the well to do should pay it.

Boy, that is an excise tax.

Making the poor pay a negative tax is simply welfare.

While we don't have welfare, we now, in PA, have a bunch of programs. So where there was one, there are now more than one.

But, you do have to get a job.

Taxation is so overwhelming, it is hard to pick a place to start.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96