Gas Mileage Problem on '06 coupe w/22k miles

ZO6KLR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Seems like here recently I have ben filling up more often than I am accustomed to.
I filled up (18.5 gal), 40 bucks worth, and clicked the odometer. Most of my driving has been highway with 3 heavy acceleration blasts (2nd-4th up to 110 and yes, I kept track).

My fuel light came on at the end and I drove about three more miles to the station. Odometer read 140.6. That averages out to a whopping 7.6 mpg.

Now, if I can remember correctly, I was getting around 180 to 200 on a full tank.

Another thing I have had going on was an O2 sensor going bad. It would flash the code periodically and I would just ignore it and let the computer cycle through and finally it would reset itself. I have also been noticing that the ***** has been running very rich, almost bring a tear to my eye when I am at a light.

Would something like the sensor be the major cause of the issues I am having? I mean, I know the Viper ain't a Prius but I know it should be getting at least 10 or 11 mpg. Anyone have some insight?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You changed the 02 sensors and it still gets bad mileage? Perhaps a connector problem?

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ALWAYS change the 02 sensors as soon as there's a problem. There was a lot of counterfeit or 'bad' manufactured sensors and buying Mopar parts should save you that heartache. Change the sensors.

Without Cats the ECU has a program that can add fuel to "save the Cats" from overheating and that may be what you're experiencing - wasting your fuel. That has to do with the rear 02 sensor system. The rear sensor system can be turned off with a SCT tuner and may be worth the cost to prevent tuning issues and other problems.

Ted

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>>>2nd-4th up to 110 and yes, I kept track<<<
:dunno:
Do you use 5th and 6th gear at all ?

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, I've gotten 300+ on one tank, and as high as 25mpg. Never have I been able to put more than 15 gallons in the Viper, and I have to ride it way past the "E" to get 300 miles on that tank.

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah that is low. I to normally get 200 miles between filling up. Sounds like your sensors need replaced.

cash84

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have no cats in my 06 and that kind of milage you have is what I probably get in the city. Highway i gotten up to 27 but average around 24.

I have a thought that the o2 sensors wouldn't decrease the milage that much. I have had other cars with bad o2 sensors and only knocked it down maybe 1-2mpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang