Gated shifter ???

Bad Asp 06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is a gated shifter even possible on our cars?
Has anyone tried this? Is there enough space between the gears to have one?
I am thinking that it would be very cool to fabricate one if it is possible that is.

:dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno:

Oh, before Plum comes on whit his pattented "use the search" post, I did look but found nothing myself.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the problem you will have is the movement difference between the console (where the gate would be) and the transmission. Under throttle your shifter moves to the right along with the engine/trans assembly. This is reduced with some of the better aftermarket mounts but still not eliminated. Neat idea, but it wont work. Stick with your Ferrari.

OP
OP
B

Bad Asp 06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If only I had a Ferrari! I didn't think about how much the trans flexes under load. That could cause alot of concern and probable end the idea right off the bat.
Darn it. Gotta admit that it would look pretty sweet though.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it would be cool to see as a mod but I dont think it would work for the reasons noted above, as a alternative you can get a SS ash tray that looks like a mini gate from partsrack :D

Solid Red 98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I assume that it could be done if one was HIGHLY motivated. The entire gated area would have to be bolted to the transmission, with a large booted surround to allow for all that movement within the center console. I have often thought that it would be kind cool, now I have to go out to the car and visualize it.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thats a good solution to the rocking of the transmission :2tu:

I assume that it could be done if one was HIGHLY motivated. The entire gated area would have to be bolted to the transmission, with a large booted surround to allow for all that movement within the center console. I have often thought that it would be kind cool, now I have to go out to the car and visualize it.

OP
OP
B

Bad Asp 06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never watched exactly how much the stick actually moves and flexes while I am driving. Eyes on the road and all, but I don't think it is much more then 1/2 inch if that. I could be wrong though.

I know it would help me with those quick 2nd to 3rd shifts. I have a hard time not going into 5th for some reason.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W920XcvPL7I&feature=related[/media]

check out 1:20 and beyond, shows that the shifter jumps around a bunch, my gts is more lively

I never watched exactly how much the stick actually moves and flexes while I am driving. Eyes on the road and all, but I don't think it is much more then 1/2 inch if that. I could be wrong though.

I know it would help me with those quick 2nd to 3rd shifts. I have a hard time not going into 5th for some reason.

OP
OP
B

Bad Asp 06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow! Never thought mine jumped that much. Probable sound like an old school bell with a gated shifter and that much jiggle.

So much for that idea.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think with better mounts it can be tamed, i will be installing my woodhouse engine and transmission mounts next week I hope, I think a gated shifter would look great and have that notch sound as you make shifts, its a great idea

OP
OP
B

Bad Asp 06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I may start working on one then. It should take me a while to write up the CNC program. With some help from a couple of our tool room guys at Cat we can get the gates in order just in case it will work after the stiffer mounts. Keep in touch.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if it makes much difference in how much the stick moves, but the Viper in that vid is either pretty built, or on ****ty tires and it's cold outside.
That thing jumps when he gets on it and the wheel-spin into third definitely tells me that he is either in a really bad traction situation, or it's most likely boosted.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its great you have those resources, yes i will keep in touch....hope you attempt the gate!
I may start working on one then. It should take me a while to write up the CNC program. With some help from a couple of our tool room guys at Cat we can get the gates in order just in case it will work after the stiffer mounts. Keep in touch.

OP
OP
B

Bad Asp 06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paddle shifting is neat, but it would take away from the fun of driving with a manual gear box IMO. Faster, sure but not funner. Plus that sort of mod is way beyond my skills and resources.

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it is torque that moves it around, now if Ferrari had that... it would have some dented up gated slots. ;)