Gauge lights changed to red

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As mentioned in a different thread, my water temp gauge bulb died on me and I wanted to take the opportunity to get rid of the horribly dated looking orange glow of the gauges at night. Thanks to KNG SNKE who explained what my options were if I wanted to swap out the gauge faces for a different look. I talked to "Kevan" who suggested I try colored incandescent bulbs vs. the LED bulbs. I found a "arctic white" bulb, but that didn't give me the shade of white I wanted, so I decided to shoot for red. Between Advance Auto and Pep Boys, I've got 7 of the 10 bulbs replaced. Waiting on them to replenish stock so I can finish up. I sent a pic of the red vs. orange gauges and the votes were unanimous for red. Including a certain VCA member who may surprise you :D

Here's a red gauge (water temp) vs. the stock orange oil pressure gauge.
You must be registered for see images attach

Speedo and tach in red. Excuse the blurriness:
You must be registered for see images attach

I'll have the car dynoed next week and shipped to the 'Ring in April and report any significant changes from this 100% performance mod :D

OP
OP
V

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which bulbs did you go with?

The only actual colored bulbs I could find were 194's (speedo and tach). For the other bulbs, I bought red gel covers. They have the same exact same shade of red, so you can't tell a difference b/t the covers and colored bulbs. The bulbs were $3.99 for two and the gel covers were $4.99 for two. Waiting on more covers to come in so I can finish up the remaining bulbs.

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I missed the other thread. Was the part about not breaking the tach covered on that thread?
That does look pretty cool.
Did they have green covers?

OP
OP
V

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I missed the other thread. Was the part about not breaking the tach covered on that thread?
That does look pretty cool.
Did they have green covers?

The possibility of breaking the tach is something me and John talked about on the phone. Not covered in the other thread. They did have green in stock. To do all the bulbs, you'd need 10 covers. They have 6 in stock locally. I plan on going tomorrow to see if more red came in on their new shipment. If you want me to buy the green and ship them to you, let me know.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The tachometer on the Viper is especially sensitive for some reason. The needle motor is not a fan of going back together. I have done gauge faces on a bunch of different cars but the Vipers tach is a whole new monster. It took me 2 broken tachs to perfect it (I'm about to change the face on my car again so we will see how that works out).