Gear Change $$$ (Complete)

BlackVenom

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am considering a gear change to 3.55 or 3.45 and I have read a lot of threads concerning the benefits of each, but I could not find any reference to total price. Now, I am looking for an estimated price range for the complete job. (Parts and Labor) I would appeciate any feed back from those who have gone the same route.

Not sure if it matters on the price, but I would like to keep the 3.07 gears in case a future buyer wants the "original" parts. Also, is it better to go to a Dodge Dealer Viper Tech or a local Tuner for this type of work? Any issues with warranty, as I have the 7 year, 50,000 mile coverage?

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Find a good corvette tuner/shop to set up the new ring and pinion. The C5's have the same gear set. Keep the old differential complete. Buy a complete new differential and have them mount the new ring and pinion. After that is done, your viper tech can mount the new differential.

Reaction score
Can you believe it, I threw the paperwork away the other day, but as best I recall 2 or three years ago it cost me about $700 for my 3:33 cryo treated gears, straps, gaskets etc. and spedo recal kit, and another 300 or 400 labor. I used a Jeep dealer for the install, as Jeep uses the same unit as does Chevy! (Note: Jeep part # match the Dodge # if you need shims etc.) Your best bet is to get a fresh quote on labor,then add 20%. I should point out that the lash & run out are critical when doing a good setup on the Dana 44. Hope this helps.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In Metro Detroit, shops charge about $150 labor to install the ring and pinion if you bring in the rear end. $300 labor if you bring the car to the shop and have them do everything.
Add in the cost of the 'install kit' (about $125) as well.

My 3.45 r&p from Unitrax was $400 in the box. A 3.55 r&p in the box will cost you almost $700 anywhere you go last time I checked.

Or you can buy the complete 3.55 differential for about $1250 delivered from Kyle Batman in northern MI. He advertises on the Performance Parts classifieds here.

The 3.45 will give you about 4mph more at a given rpm in 4th that the 3.55.

Performance should be virtually equal. :usa:

Reaction score
You are in luck being in Houston. If you want to do the foot work yourself, you can purchase the gear from Partsrack or Unitracs etc... Then take it to Pyle Brothers in Baytown.

Or you could go through the local tuner route in Houston, there are many to choose.

Send me a PM if you have any questions.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BlackVenom,
You could go with a Mopar Performance complete differential assemble and keep your stock rear.

3:55 Diff. #P5007401 MSRP $1986.00
Diff Cover #P5007528 MSRP $200.00
Plus 2 hours labor with stock exhaust.

PBJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Black Venom,
I believe the MP ring and pinion is around $450 and a set from Dana or Richmond is around $250. I charge $250 to set up the diff and charge the same as Chuck on the R & I ( 2 hours @ $95). You will need a crush sleeve, a set of shims, fluid, and additive to complete the job. I think the last one I did was around $950 to drive in and out. I would think most shops would be pretty close to each other on price. Just make sure you get somebody who knows what they are doing.
Later,
Joe

OP
OP
B

BlackVenom

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It sounds like anywhere from $1200 up to as much as $2500, depending on the vendor and what gets replaced.

Is there any reason/advantage in changing the whole differential? I have a low mileage car and I was planning to just swap the gear to keep more of it original.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery