GEN 1/2 Viper Door Hinge (spring) Repair Kit ( hardware )

cobraman484

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I received a Priority Mail package monday from JonB, inside was a door hinge spring repair kit and a card saying HAPPY BIRTHDAY. 1, how did he know it was my birthday and 2, how did he know I had a broken spring. Come to find out unbeknownst to me my daughter had called and ordered it.

I went to install it this afternoon. I have a spare hinge from a previous failure and decided to install the kit in that one before taking the old one off. After drilling out the rivet and countersinking the hole I went to install the new spring and come to find out the new bolt is 8mm which is about 5/16 the hole is 3/8. To me this is to sloppy and the spring might move over time and cause issues. I tried calling Snake Oyl but they are closed untill monday.

I guess my question is has anyone installed one of these kits and have they had any problems.

OP
OP
C

cobraman484

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am calling SnakeOyl because as far as I know it is their product and I want to ask them about the smaller size bolt. As for where it was purchased it was a gift from my daughter and my wife told her try JonB because she knows I have purchased Viper parts from him before.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have to admit I don't understand how these things work with Vendors, You had Daves Big Brakes, Now if i'm right, He was buying parts from Mark at Ipsco, then you have Snake oyl, who sell their own stuff through their catalouge and on line sales and other Vendors are also buying from them?
Surely the way to the best price is to purchase the part direct, which would cut out the middle man who would have to put their own 'mark up' on the product to stay in business?

Have I missed something here? Who is actually making this product? JonB, Snake oyl or a third party?

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When i fixed mine years ago, I tapped the rivets hole instead of using a nut. A little more work but a lot cleaner and better fit

OP
OP
C

cobraman484

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spoke to SnakeOyl and they told me that the 8mm screw will work fine and they have installed some and have had no problems. But since I had picked up a 3/8 tapered head allen screw at a local hardware store I am going to use it instead of the one that came with the kit.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have to admit I don't understand how these things work with Vendors, You had Daves Big Brakes, Now if i'm right, He was buying parts from Mark at Ipsco, then you have Snake oyl, who sell their own stuff through their catalouge and on line sales and other Vendors are also buying from them?
Surely the way to the best price is to purchase the part direct, which would cut out the middle man who would have to put their own 'mark up' on the product to stay in business?

Have I missed something here? Who is actually making this product? JonB, Snake oyl or a third party?

SnakeOyl Products actually makes this kit confirmed with SnakeOyl. I think perhaps the best way to bring down the price is to do a group buy.