GEN 1 Going in for head gaskets. Need advise! ! ! !

Scorch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '94 RT/10 head gaskets have finally started seeping. What should I do before dropping it off at the dealer? (I trust the dealer, Dick Scott Dodge. Most members of the Motor City Viper club use them.)

I'm planning on taking a ton of pictures of the entire car, especially the engine compartment. What else should I do?

Thanks for the help.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't know if the dealer will do this or not. Have the heads sent to a machine shop and have them surfaced and cc'd to match Gen 2 compression, not sure of the exact numbers without looking it up, but about 9.2, to 9.6 compression. Works great, and adds power.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't know if the dealer will do this or not. Have the heads sent to a machine shop and have them surfaced and cc'd to match Gen 2 compression, not sure of the exact numbers without looking it up, but about 9.2, to 9.6 compression. Works great, and adds power.

Yeah, but the 9.1 is better when you go the boosted route! 12lbs Roe baby, yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! :2tu:

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gen2 is 9:6, Gen1 is 9:0.

I would think that 10:1 - 10:5:1 should be fine on pump gas (too bad there's no knock sensors).

Cal

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scorch, I posted the entire process a few months ago, I did it myself and am about an hour from you. Not a hard job but it took a long time. do a search and see what is involved.

Make sure the thermostat housing gasket and bolts get a light coating of RTV. Swap out thermostat to 180 degree.

VCA members get 10% off parts and service at Dick Scott.