gen 1 head gasket problems

UK Viper Nigel

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've got one of the oldest and probably most original '93 RT/10's in the UK which I've had since 2000. It's done nearly 39k miles and still has the same head gasket and I've had no problems.

shelbynut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 94 has over 50,000 miles and still no leaks, but when we were putting on the headers we did notice they were the original head gaskets, and that there were some signs of seepage - stains on the block under the heads...apparantly first sign of impending failure....so I may be doing them this summer.....

Called my buddy at the Chrysler dealership today and got prices as follows:

In Canadian Dollars

Listing Standard and 15/1000's overthick head gaskets, list $580 each, employee and me cost $390 each
Complete kit, $1500.00 list, employee and me cost $930
Add to that our lovely 15% in sales taxes of course.

Getting the set for $600US above doesn't really save me much once I factor in shipping to Canada, Exchange, taxes, brokerage fees, etc.

Looks like the kit is the best buy for me at $930C, still gonna be over $1000 by time I'm out the door! Then I have to install them! :curse:

Oh well, wanna play, gotta pay...but this ain't no foriegn exotic..it's a Dodge! These gaskets are going to cost more than my first car (72 Duster :2tu: )!

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 94 has over 50,000 miles and still no leaks, but when we were putting on the headers we did notice they were the original head gaskets, and that there were some signs of seepage - stains on the block under the heads...apparantly first sign of impending failure....so I may be doing them this summer.....

Called my buddy at the Chrysler dealership today and got prices as follows:

In Canadian Dollars

Listing Standard and 15/1000's overthick head gaskets, list $580 each, employee and me cost $390 each
Complete kit, $1500.00 list, employee and me cost $930
Add to that our lovely 15% in sales taxes of course.

I've got one kit left and like I said. Nobody here can beat $850(kit) shipped (US only) to your door.
I have the one set of head gaskets only going on Ebay right now also. Nobody can beat the price. Guaranteed :D

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shelbynut, Call Tator and get 20% discount. Don't know how shipping, taxes, etc. work to Canada though. P.S. You also get all the technical advice in the world from him.

P.S. Search on the multiple posts I made last year when I did mine. I tried to be as detailed as possible as I did it and have tips and tools I used on there.

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've sold both of my kits now. I only have the head gaskets left. Someone better jump on them before they are gone. Thanks

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found the head gaskets for $650 for the pair. I always tell you guys to check around, I did, and I found them for "fairly" cheap. And no I didn't buy them from Jon or Roe or even the wizard. Now my question to all of you engine builders is this, the set I am buying is .015 thick. What will that do to the compression in my engine? I only run high octane fuel 91 or 93.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tator's kits give all the gaskets...about 15 so it isn't such a bad deal compared to $650 for just head gaskets.

shelbynut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I was checking on prices my buddy at the dealership had stock thickness and .015 oversize head gaskets listed.
I suspect the oversize would be used to maintain stock compression if your heads where warped and you had to mill them. Milling .015 off to get them straight and then use the .015 overthick gasket to make up for the .015 shaved off and get you back up to stock compression.
On stock heads, if you used the .015 oversize gaskets you would effectively be reducing your compression :nono: (although by how much I have no idea).

Jay

Reaction score
It is not an issue regarding the materials that the gaskets are made of....Leaking head gaskets are only a symptom of the "REAL" problem.

The REAL problem is a "design issue" of the steel sleeves in the Gen 1 aluminum block.

I had an Arrow Racing Engines rebuild done under warranty and here is the report they gave me of what they did....the engine had 17,000 miles at this time.

ARROW RACING
ENGINES INC.
FAILURE REPORT

RV102991

Upon receipt of the engine, we found some things wrong. Both cylinder head gaskets were leaking coolant and the thermostat crossover was leaking too. The main housing bore was out of spec by .0001 to .0003 and had to be align honed to repair. Flywheel needed to be replaced.
The block was sent back to the original manufacture for counter bores and redecking.
The engine was then reassembled using all new parts including the crankshaft, camshaft with lifters, piston/rod assemblies, cylinder liners, timing chain set, front cover with oil pump, thermostat, water pump, rod and main bearings, spark plugs and wires. With new gaskets and seals, the rebuild is complete.
The engine was then sent to our dyno shop for a two-hour break in period with three W.O.T. power runs to confirm the engine met the rated horsepower and torque numbers. A cylinder leak down and compression test was performed, and a special oberg oil filter was inspected and after a final check for any external oil leaks the engine was prepared for return shipment.

Note the statement in the second paragraph above regarding "counterbores".

This is the main "design change" that corrects the problem of leaking head gaskets. These counterbores were not machined into GEN1 engines. This allowed the steel sleeves to slip and damage the head gaskets. I am lucky all this was done under warranty at no cost to me.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
It is not an issue regarding the materials that the gaskets are made of....Leaking head gaskets are only a symptom of the "REAL" problem.

The REAL problem is a "design issue" of the steel sleeves in the Gen 1 aluminum block.
With all due respect I have to completely disagree - I have not heard of anyone having problems after changing to the new gaskets. I also find it humerous that every single report from arrow was identical. Arrow hit the jackpot on this one with all of the rebuilds that they did for a problem that was fixed by just changing the head gaskets.

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score

With all due respect I have to completely disagree - I have not heard of anyone having problems after changing to the new gaskets. I also find it humerous that every single report from arrow was identical. Arrow hit the jackpot on this one with all of the rebuilds that they did for a problem that was fixed by just changing the head gaskets.

I agree. The other thing to point out is the leak is always primarily outside the block. At least that's were it starts. It only becomes catastrophic when the leak is ignored and the motor overheats (due to the loss of coolant)causing even bigger damage. That means the area around the combustion chamber(sleeved area as it is called)is not the primary failed area of the gasket. The other thing is there is something like 6700 gen1's made? I'm willing to bet only 25% of these cars have the new MLS and have them done due to warranty work. The remaining are running strong on the originals. This is not a thing of epidemic proportions. It's just a known fact and a upgrade from the originals. Not every GenI needs head gaskets. Read the above as examples. Most are running with the originals and the ones that express the most displeasure about the whole head gaskets issue on these cars are the ones that have felt it the most. In their pocketbooks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude