gen 1 head gasket problems

cuong

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i know that many of you have had head gasket problems. i was wondering how many of you with gen 1 still have the original head gaskets? also how many miles. i have a gen 1 and am worried about problems later on. what are some things i should look for? thanks

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My carfax does not show a record of mine being changed. I am the 2nd owner but never tracked down the original owner (I bought it from a dealer). My car has 19K and no signs of failure, yet.

I may replace them next winter when I am bored. A solid day and it is done, plus it will make the winter cleaning under the hood a little easier when apart.

I just wish someone would make a set of gaskets cheaper than $600! I would be excited if I could buy a set for $300! FelPro, Mr. Gasket, are you listening? I will pay $300 for one set of head gaskets!!!

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My '95 had 7 years and 70k miles on the original gaskets, some of it on the track, before a traffic "incident" spelled its early demise.

jeffdai

Enthusiast
Reaction score
21000 miles here original gaskets on the 94, 2 more years left on my aftermarket warranty so if they fail i hope they do it within the two years!!

22YRSOLD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have a gen 1, a 94. 25k miles. original gaskets i believe.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just wish someone would make a set of gaskets cheaper than $600! I would be excited if I could buy a set for $300! FelPro, Mr. Gasket, are you listening? I will pay $300 for one set of head gaskets!!!

$600???
I think they are over $1000!!!!
Yes, Felpro should see an opportunity here...

rpm9000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 22,000 on my 95 with the original head gaskets. I am hoping if I can wait long enough someone will make some reasonably priced gaskets.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I have 22,000 on my 95 with the original head gaskets. I am hoping if I can wait long enough someone will make some reasonably priced gaskets.

Not quite sure this happen .... limited number of Gen 1 Vipers produced and the survival number is going down - therefore limited potential market for someone else to produce. Prices have increased steadily for the past 3 years.

I replaced mine last winter. After seeing the difference between the old paper gaskets and the new multilayer gaskets I switched "believer camps" to the - It's not a matter of if they will fail - but when.

For those unsure of if you have the old vs. new gaskets it's very easy to tell by looking at them from below. Here is a pic for your reference:

5122CoolantLeakGasket.jpg

ryan94rt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i have a 94 and the gaskets went bad last summer, only 10,200 miles on em'...i think it has to do with how much the car sits and how much it is driven... i bought the car with 9000 miles and both previous owners barely drove it...i think they get pretty hot, so if they get hot then cold then hot then cold, and then sit...you get the picture!

i bought them online for $675 shipped...1/888-528-2200. the dealer had the same upper head gasket set for $1373.97, they wanted to charge me per gasket instead of the entire set...so definitely check these guys out if yours go!

there was a thread on here a few days ago about a four fin or three fin intake...and from what i understood the three fin intake was put on the later models of gen 1's and these don't burn the gaskets up as easily! so check yours out, it it has three fins...maybe you'll get lucky!

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
there was a thread on here a few days ago about a four fin or three fin intake...and from what i understood the three fin intake was put on the later models of gen 1's and these don't burn the gaskets up as easily! so check yours out, it it has three fins...maybe you'll get lucky!

Intake change has no effect on head gasket issue - apples and oranges.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine were replaced with about 15k on the car. However, they were replaced before the new MLS gaskets were produced so I still have the old paper style gaskets :( . Car has 60k now, and no sings of leaking <knock on wood>

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That may not be true, if you look at that post I put a link in it on differences in Vipers from 92-02.

They did change gaskets at some point in 94, was it at the same time as the intake change? Who knows. Does the new gasket make a difference? Once again, who knows. It could just be a flaw in our engines and not the gaskets....

Rollin4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 94 has 44K on the original gaskets. It is not a matter of "WILL" they go bad it's a matter of "WHEN". I'm keeping some funds in reserve for the "WHEN". If I'm not mistaken....Upper gasket set $1,100.00 from Chuck Tator.You will notice Antifreeze somewhere in a place it's not suppose to be like the floor or oil :( .

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a brand new set of factory replacements I will sell for $600 insured shipping to your door. They are the head gaskets only and they are the new MLS (multi layer steel)type. They are part #5245 157-BA. They list for $411 each-Ouch! They are for both the right and left side. The only other gaskets you will need is Exhaust and Intake manifold gaskets. In most cases your valve covers gaskets are reusable. If not they are $74.60 each(list) and the 4 gaskets for the thermostat housing and block off plates. This is a deal and If I get no offers I'm going to put them on Ebay this weekend. I've never seen a set of these on Ebay before. Only the old style.

1813DSC03200-med.JPG

Now if you are wondering about the whole kit I got one of those too. I will take $860 shipped to your door. That's part # 4626 640-AE and it lists for $1010. :curse: I have two of those. Thanks :2tu:

ryan94rt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
before you buy any gaskets check out the place online, 1/888-528-2200, i bought them from...$675 shipped for the whole kit!...not just head gaskets! they were bought in late august last year...so it hasn't been that long...i doubt they have gone up $500. these gaskets are mopar parts too..not aftermarket! by the way they are the mls system gaskets to!
check them out...i would hate to see you pay too much for them...even though $675 is too much too!

if you have questions pm me

OP
OP
C

cuong

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey ryan thanks for the info on the gaskets by any chance you dont happen to have their website do you?

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, I have a 95 with 22k, Chuck Tator just gave a full inspection and said they are MINT, he did say that they are often a problem at this time, but I lucked out. Good luck.

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
before you buy any gaskets check out the place online, 1/888-528-2200, i bought them from...$675 shipped for the whole kit!...not just head gaskets! they were bought in late august last year...so it hasn't been that long...i doubt they have gone up $500. these gaskets are mopar parts too..not aftermarket! by the way they are the mls system gaskets to!
check them out...i would hate to see you pay too much for them...even though $675 is too much too!

if you have questions pm me

There was a price hike late last year. Of course most of the difference here is cost versus list price. The price hike was due to backorder status and a supplier constraint. You are not going to find the whole kit for $675 shipped. I guarantee that. That kit # is 4626 640-AE. $675 is below dealer cost now. You might get just the head gaskets alone for $675 shipped but not the kit. Why do that when I offer it for $600 shipped. LOL The other thing is check availabilty also. These were on backorder as late as last november. These are only going to go up in price. Manufacturers only have to provide parts for 10 years to any given make or model. The 96 is the last year and this is 2006. While we all know this is way too much for head gaskets there just simply is not enough supply and demand there to make some other manufacturer produce these. Where's the profit? That's why Dodge charges what they do for them now. Because they can and they probably have propriety rights to it. I don't know. I'm not on the legal staff for Chrysler. I'm not creating a scare of part shortages for the Viper but I will tell you I work in this industry and we do it all the time. We produce late runs for older models that are approaching 10 years all the time. We will only go back and produce parts older than 10 years if there is a demand or a big profit in it.

ryan94rt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
the website is partsdiscountwarehouse.com...i had to call them though (1 888 528 2200) to get the gasket kit! if you go to the site it will lead you through and show you the gaskets are only like $300...but when you try to order them they will tell you based on you vin number you have the unfortunite vin number so the gaskets are much higher priced!...apparently there are different gaskets for different vin numbers...who knew!

i hope this answers your questions...and im not sure if there is a price hike on these, or back orders...but in august they had them shipped to my house in like a week. they are out of new jersey or new york, so if you are clser they would get them to you sooner too!

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well like I said you are not going to get a head gasket kit for $675. If you get it for under $800 shipped consider that a great deal. I don't care who they are and it sounds like Partsdiscountwarehouse.com needs to update their website. That's why you have to call. The AE on the end of the part number is very significant as it is the latest gasket design(and only one available) and is used when there is a change in design or manufacturer. If they were to design them again they would keep the same part# but change the AE to maybe a AD?. That signifies a change. The original gaskets were $300 back in 96 and they were the originals (paper as most refer to). Your VIN is only needed to verify the fact you have a RT10 GenI engine. That's verified by the 7th,8th and 10th digit on your VIN. All 92-96 RT10's are genI's and require the same gasket when needed.

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why don't Gen2 head gaskets work on a Gen1?

Totally different in design. While the displacement is the same and position of the cylinders. It's primary difference is above the cylinder liners and around the main water passages. It's funny because Intake and Exhaust manifolds are interchangeable. Just not the heads.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score

That may not be true, if you look at that post I put a link in it on differences in Vipers from 92-02.

They did change gaskets at some point in 94, was it at the same time as the intake change? Who knows. Does the new gasket make a difference? Once again, who knows. It could just be a flaw in our engines and not the gaskets....

What I am saying is that the head gasket is a totally different gasket than the intake gasket. No matter what intake you have on a Gen 1 Viper - the original head gasket will still be the paper head gasket.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets